Hilly Scorch !!! Holy Shiznit!!!!!!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Mattfig and you may know from from such threads as the module shootout and for my numerous classified listings for items I just bought....

Anyway, I've been trying to round out my rack of delight and have become VERY picky if you haven't noticed already....Anyway, I found one I will keep.... The Great Hilly Scorch....

OMG...This thing produces tone that I dream about...It's unique and full as hell...Sounds like the very best parts of a recto combined with a heavy handed JCM800...But it also has it's own personality...It sounds absolutely HUGE...I haven't had too much time with her yet but it's already love...I'm smitten....Out of the box she pounded a few of my fave modules like they were toys...It's made me start to redial in several modules in an attempt to catch up....

It looks amazing and sounds amazing....

5/5 on the keeper scale....

JD said:
Sounds great...Should I keep an eye on the classifieds? :)

No sir...This one is home for a long while....It's truly one of those special modules that you don't know what to expect and it delivers the tone you have been seeking...I couldn't like it more...

The fact that it is somehow unique is everything!

Hey mattfig,
Which modifier does the Hilly Scorch? What module was it before?
Will you be putting up any clips? Sounds really good by your description...

MindCrime said:
Hey mattfig,

They are custom builds on the original Egnater single channel boards. I have to be sure what Randall boards will work for this module!

MindCrime said:
Hey mattfig,

It is excellent, I can assure you....His name is Jeff Hilligan and you can PM him by that name to score one....It's worth it...And it's also the coolest looking module I've seen....

****...The Hilly Scorch must be better than sex to elicit such an extreme response from the Fig. So which module in your rig is going to get the boot to make room for the Scorch? The "Rack of Delight" just got that much more delightful....Play on Playa...
pimp-c.jpg

What's that I hear?
Shootout...Shootout...Shootout...SHOOTOUT!!!

Mattfig said:
Hi, I'm Mattfig and you may know from from such threads as the module shootout and for my numerous classified listings for items I just bought....

Anyway, I've been trying to round out my rack of delight and have become VERY picky if you haven't noticed already....Anyway, I found one I will keep.... The Great Hilly Scorch....

OMG...This thing produces tone that I dream about...It's unique and full as hell...Sounds like the very best parts of a recto combined with a heavy handed JCM800...But it also has it's own personality...It sounds absolutely HUGE...I haven't had too much time with her yet but it's already love...I'm smitten....Out of the box she pounded a few of my fave modules like they were toys...It's made me start to redial in several modules in an attempt to catch up....

It looks amazing and sounds amazing....

5/5 on the keeper scale....

I haven't seen the final version...LOL. I'd like to hear it too!

Daryl said:
****...The Hilly Scorch must be better than sex to elicit such an extreme response from the Fig. So which module in your rig is going to get the boot to make room for the Scorch? The "Rack of Delight" just got that much more delightful....Play on Playa...
pimp-c.jpg

What's that I hear?
Shootout...Shootout...Shootout...SHOOTOUT!!!

I know...Feels weird to like one again...Especially so much....But it's really good...Not that the ones I've had recently weren't - but this one just sounds like me...As far as what's on its way outta the rack...I've left it to the modules to vote one off...Right now they've been in deliberation for 12 hours but no white smoke has come from the back of the rack to signal that a choice has been made...I've heard whisperings of the Salvation Xtacy leaving but no official word as yet... :)

Shootout soon! :D

Update: In a surprising turn of events, both the Xtacy and Matchvox are on their way out...There was some furious activity going on in the rack last night and I feared the worst when I opened it this morning...But the white smoke was just billowing out the back and I was worried Scorch may have had a concealed suitcase nuke as she didn't go thru security before entering the rack- I was just too excited when I saw how hot she looked...When I opened the rack case up I saw that Matchvox was already packed and looked pissed- she even took out her own thumbscrews!! I think Mamba said or did something very offensive 'cause I heard a lot of giggling coming from her RM4 below...Plus that Brian May mod makes my Matchvox more sensitive than other Matchvoxes so she was delicate already...The Xtacy is also leaving but she and Matchvox were RM4mates for awhile so they're a package thing...Lesbian modules? You tell me...

Hey Matt:

You able to post some pics?

Also, have you tried the Snorkeler?

I'm surprised you compared the Scorch to a Recto, as I think Jeff's intention was to make it sound like a Mark series with some pissed off JCM 800 attitude mixed in for good measure........

rlord1974 said:
Hey Matt:

You able to post some pics?

Also, have you tried the Snorkeler?

I'm surprised you compared the Scorch to a Recto, as I think Jeff's intention was to make it sound like a Mark series with some pissed off JCM 800 attitude mixed in for good measure........

Here she is...

IMG_0605.jpg

Yep, tried a Snorkeler too and it was really good...Just too marshally for me and I have Marshall tone more than covered already...

As for the Scorch....When I say recto, I guess I kinda mean Mesa in general...I've not had a lot of experience with the Mark Series so I'm sure the tone is somewhere in between....It's just the very best parts of Mesa and Marshall tone combined - to give a better description of it...Totally cool as is the Snorkeler...

Edited to add: That is NOT how I set up my Scorch module...I just switched the knobs and the gain has no need to be dimed... :)

SacredGroove said:
Looks cool with knobs in its final state. I noticed there's no Bright switch, or can I just not see it?

I'm assuming it's part of the modding Jeff did on my Scorch that the bright switch doesn't exist...I hope it just wasn't forgotten? Either way, I'm keeping it just like it is...No need for a bright switch anyway....The thing just smokes...I can't get enough of it...

Plus, it's killer looking...What a great combo - tone and looks!

SacredGroove said:
Looks cool with knobs in its final state. I noticed there's no Bright switch, or can I just not see it?

I pulled it out as Matt seems to be deaf as **** and needs more treble than the average player so I put a ton of it in the treble knob since this thing has so much gain the addition of a bright switch is not noticeable to the tone!

Jeff Hilligan said:
SacredGroove said:

I pulled it out as Matt seems to be deaf as s*&t and needs more treble than the average player so I put a ton of it in the treble knob since this thing has so much gain the addition of a bright switch is not noticeable to the tone!

Scorch module - XXX dollars (worth every penny)
Calling the guy who loves it deaf as ****...Priceless...

:lol:

I've got some change in my pocket goin' jing-a-ling-a-ling...

Jeff, hit me up! That change is burning a hole in my pocket and want your mody.

Drew

Mattfig said:
Jeff Hilligan said:
SacredGroove said:

I pulled it out as Matt seems to be deaf as s*&t and needs more treble than the average player so I put a ton of it in the treble knob since this thing has so much gain the addition of a bright switch is not noticeable to the tone!

Scorch module - XXX dollars (worth every penny)
Calling the guy who loves it deaf as s*&t...Priceless...

:lol:

I didn't mean that you were deaf as **** for tone just that you really like your treble!

Dude, it's ok to **** with me...I enjoy the banter....Anyway, yes, I do have an abnormal appetite for treble....But most treble boosters I tried sucked...The treble on my Scorch is extreme to some - but given the right settings it can really set off the gain...I love mine and wouldn't dare have anything changed....

I have a JAN 12AX7WA in V1 and a Gold Pin Tung Sol in V2...

Spared no expense... :lol:
4162383_std.jpg