Question(s) for Salvation MarkUs owners

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
I just picked up a MarkUs module and, as a long time Mesa Mark-series player, I must say that it's pretty d@#$ close. So having grown up on Mesas, I've got a few questions about the module just to make sure I'm thinking about the controls the right way...

1) Assuming the EQ switch is off when in the up position and engaged when in the down position?
2) Assuming, since they're unlabeled, the three tone controls are in the standard Randall order (bass-mid-treble), not the standard Mark-series order (treble-bass-mid)?
3) Assuming, like a later Mark-series amp, it's tone-stack->gain->lead drive from a circuit standpoint?
4) Finally, what is the "shift" switch technically supposed to do?

Thanks for any help... I just keep looking at the module and thinking of all the knobs/switches on my old Mark IV, and want to make sure I'm dialing it in right.

--B

I already answered by email, but again, for everyone:

1. EQ switch: UP is FLAT position, down is "V" position(enhanced bass and highs).
This EQ shape switch has nothing to do with Bass/Middle/Treble potentiometers on the module.
This switch works as simulation of Graphic EQ from Mesa MArk amps.-with fixed the most popular "V" position.
This feature is placed AFTER gainstages, so it is very sensitive and affects colour of tone.

2. "Randallish" way Bass/mid/shift/Treble

3.circuit:
gain-> bass/mid(shift) /treble->lead drive-> ----> master

4.shift switch- it works in cooperation with Treble/Mid controls on module. Changes amount of higher mids going into distorting gainstages.
LEFT position has far more mids and fatter sound.
It is recommended for higher gain settings.
Right position=less mids, recommended for lower gain settings.
Note: On some mesa amps this "SHIFT"functions is engaged automatically, more mids (left) for lead and less mids(right) for rhythm or clean.

Note about BAss/Middle/treble:
This part is very special and no other module uses this circuit.
If you know Mark amps, you are familiar with EQ behaviour.
On these amps Bass/Mid/treble are less sensitive on higher gain setting.
This is pretty normal, because this part of curcuit is placed BEFORE distorting gainstages.
But on higher gain settings it becomes perfect weapon for shaping of dynamic and feel of tone. This is the same way how tonestack on Mark amps works.
More bass: fatter tone for liquiud lead solos
Less bass, more treble-super tight sound for rhythm.

On higher gain settings the "SHIFT" switch affects tighness of tone.