Is MTS a dead product line for Randall?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been an RM50 owner for a couple years and have a few modules. In all that time, no new modules...none.

So the question is, will Randall ever come out with any new modules or perhaps is this product line not a big hit for them?

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Do a little search and I'm sure you will find 20 threads on this very topic. :D

Happy Holidays!

drewiv said:
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Do a little search and I'm sure you will find 20 threads on this very topic. :D

Happy Holidays!

Well, I'm sure your right, but when I do a search for "new modules" I get a long list of complete nonsense :) The search function sucks on this site (as it does on most forum sites).

Yeah the search function is a bit lacking. To sum up, NO. There is still a big push to keep the line going from within and without. Randall has promised a few new modules in the near future but Randall has traditionally been slow from R & D to store shelves. Also bear in mind that the Egnater design has survived many incarnations. It was built for Rocktron, now is made by Randall and Egnater, and if Randall drops the ball, someone else will pick it up. So worry not, buy with confidence and build up a good reputation here and get to know some of the modders. Even if it dies it is still a superior idea that you will not regret making use of.

Peace, Joshua

fishstick_kitty said:
drewiv said:

Happy Holidays!

Well, I'm sure your right, but when I do a search for "new modules" I get a long list of complete nonsense :) The search function sucks on this site (as it does on most forum sites).

I'll do a search a little later. If I find anything good, I'll post it here for you.

Mister Joshua said:
Yeah the search function is a bit lacking. To sum up, NO. There is still a big push to keep the line going from within and without. Randall has promised a few new modules in the near future but Randall has traditionally been slow from R & D to store shelves. Also bear in mind that the Egnater design has survived many incarnations. It was built for Rocktron, now is made by Randall and Egnater, and if Randall drops the ball, someone else will pick it up. So worry not, buy with confidence and build up a good reputation here and get to know some of the modders. Even if it dies it is still a superior idea that you will not regret making use of.

Peace, Joshua

Thanks for the response. I wonder why they (Randall or Egnator) don't make the spec open source and allow anybody to manufacture modules...that would be interesting.

here's one:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9440&highlight=

Also remember NAMM is less than 2 months away so hopefully we'll get some news in January.

fishstick_kitty said:
.. I wonder why they (Randall or Egnator) don't make the spec open source and allow anybody to manufacture modules...that would be interesting.
because there is no money in havening someone else manufacture and sell modules.

eedude said:
fishstick_kitty said:
.. I wonder why they (Randall or Egnator) don't make the spec open source and allow anybody to manufacture modules...that would be interesting.
because there is no money in havening someone else manufacture and sell modules.

That's not entirely true. If you have the compnay manufacturing the modules pay royalty fees. Kind of like how everyone paid to use the Floyd Rose design.

drewiv said:
eedude said:
fishstick_kitty said:

That's not entirely true. If you have the compnay manufacturing the modules pay royalty fees. Kind of like how everyone paid to use the Floyd Rose design.

Open source and licensing are not the same.

On a related topic, these units are pretty simple in design and I suspect have been reverse engineered many times seeing as alot of them all start with the same two boards, populated with different components.
Cheers, Lucius

Lucius said:
drewiv said:
eedude said:
fishstick_kitty said:

Open source and licensing are not the same.

On a related topic, these units are pretty simple in design and I suspect have been reverse engineered many times seeing as alot of them all start with the same two boards, populated with different components.
Cheers, Lucius

Well, yes, that's true. Big difference between open source and licensing, open source is not very realistic. Licensing would be a pretty smart idea on Randall's part. Although, is Egnator licensing the line to Randall? I'm not sure how that all transpired.

eedude said:
fishstick_kitty said:

I would only suggest that IF randall really wasn't making much money on this MTS stuff anyway.

And by open source I do mean licensing...I really meant "opening the spec to other manufacturers".

Mister Joshua said:

Peace, Joshua

Which Rocktron product line was similar to MTS?

fishstick_kitty said:
And by open source I do mean licensing...I really meant "opening the spec to other manufacturers".

I assumed that's what you meant and that's why I originally addressed it as that. If they aren't making money on it I can't see how it would hurt to license the line out to people that THINK they can make money on it. Heck, even if they are making money - they could make more. I'm sure Floyd Rose made money on both ends of his deals.

khingpynn said:
Mister Joshua said:

Peace, Joshua

Egnater did a bunch of stuff with them...the VP4 I think was basically modular.....I think you could take a hacksaw to them and make 'em work in an RM4/M4

http://www.mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=147

JKD said:
khingpynn said:
Mister Joshua said:

Peace, Joshua

Egnater did a bunch of stuff with them...the VP4 I think was basically modular.....I think you could take a hacksaw to them and make 'em work in an RM4/M4

http://www.mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=147

Yeah the modules are different sizes. I have seen a few on evil bay that had custom fronts designed to accept MTS modules. And i do not know if you could swap modules like with the MTS line. But it was the first (that i know of) production modular preamp of the Egnater design.

Peace, Joshua

Mister Joshua said:
Yeah the modules are different sizes. I have seen a few on evil bay that had custom fronts designed to accept MTS modules. And i do not know if you could swap modules like with the MTS line. But it was the first (that i know of) production modular preamp of the Egnater design.

Peace, Joshua

Jerome Allen, on this forum, did modify his Rocktron to work as an RM4. It's possible and has been done. You have to open up the face plate a bit (and cut out the permanently installed "modules"), but it works as an RM4. Maybe he'll see this and give you some insight on it. I'm not 100% sure exactly how he did it.

Drew

I thought the main difference was that the VP4s modules are joined together as 2 x 2 channel modules?