Blackface Module too bright and spanky

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently using a blackface for cleans...and when cranked up (I have an RM50), that module is VERY bright and treble-y. I have the bass/mids up and the treble down and it's still "spanky"...it even says that on the randall site, so I'm sure thats the way it's supposed to be.

I am looking for something like a clean module and hoping I would be able to get loud cleans that are still warm and clear. Or is there a mod for the blackface that warms it up or gives it more flexibility?

Any input would be great, thanks!!

There are a few mods to get rid of that brigtness and spank, but alas I can't remember half of them x_x

I know I changed a few resistors in mine to get it closer to the specs of the Deluxe. And my friend did the "dry" mod that you'll find a little further down in this forum. Both of those can add lots of warmth and flexibility to the module, but it can still get very bright if desired.

Yes there are mods that can clean it up. I use a Blackface for clean and find that changing tubes makes a huge difference. I use a 12AY7 in V1 and am really liking it. I may change V2 as well in the future. But start with searching for tube advice. Yeah it's a lengthy process but the threads are good to read and will give you a lot of insight on how you can make any module superior.

Peace,
Joshua

I just changed out to 12AY7 in V1 and a 5751 in V2 in my Blackface. Warmed up the preamp and gave it more headroom but I find when this module gets cranked and distorts it looses clarity in the top end still.

I'm goping to look at mods for this preamp as I like more since the tube change.

I have owned a stock Blackface with Sovtek 12AX7 tubes and I currently run a Gigmods Twin(Blackface modded with a Deluxe switch on it) with JJs and I am going to be swapping in a 12AY7 at Mister Joshua's suggestion. I'll let you know how that turns out. I'm also going to be ordering some Tung Sols so I'll experiment with a few configurations.
I have found that sometimes if you roll back the volume knob on your guitar it can take some of the "spank" out of the tone. It probably depends on the pickups that you are using as well. On my Dimarzio equipped Ibanez, I either use the neck pickup by itself or I coil tap both pickups and do an in-between sort of sound. It is the bridge and neck pickups with the two inside coils active. It gives the sound a real "crystal" almost acoustic kind of sound. Oh yeah, I also roll the volume knob back about 1/4 rev. :)