Module Level issue?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
Need help diagnosing.
I 1st put the Grail in slot 1 of my RM4. I barely had any sound even when I cranked the Level on the module. The other 3 modules worked just fine as they should.

I decided to switch the Grail to a different slot to see if maybe that was it. I moved it to slot 4 of the RM4 & moved that module to slot 1. Now the Grail has no sound until the Level on the module is at about 9 or so (5 o'clock+). So then it was either no volume or blasted. I haven't done any other tinkering since then.

Before I put it in the RM4 the tube in V2 was not in the socket & the tube in V1 was not seated all the way. I inserted the V2 tube & seated the V1 tube all the way in the socket.

Any thoughts on possible issues/causes... bad tube(s), loose connection, bad pot, maybe it needs to completely warm up to room temperature 1st. It was sitting on my front step when I got home from work. I had it sitting out for about 15 minutes on the counter prior to putting it in the RM4.

From what I can tell I think I am going to dig this module. If I can get the level issue resolved.

If switching tubes doesn't resolve it then:

Possible the grail is not sitting in the slot properly...but you tried a different slot...do you have an amp head you could try too?

Possible the grail has a broken pot on it....they seem to go most often in transit...the gain or the bass or mine (can't recall which) was broken on arrival...sounds like the level has gone on yours

There might be something to it not seating properly in the slot. There is a point where when tightening the themb screws it will cut out all volume. But if I just have them barely snug then I get the situation where the volume is there when the pot is blasted.

Just swapped tubes, same issues.

Well there is definately a sweet spot regarding the seating of the module. But I think it might be the pot. When I have it seated in the "sweet spot" I have cranked volume or no volume depending on where the Level knob is... Cranked = cranked volume, Anything below cranked = no volume or barely audible volume.

Dang I was hoping it might be a simple fix.

It sounds to me like the pot is going going gone, but if you haven't let it warm up completely first, there is something kind of rare I have heard of happening. If electronics are taken straight from cold to hot you can get some condensation in there and that could short out your module so just check it make sure everything is kosher there, if not I would ask the tack for your pot is gotten funky and not in the way we like.

Peace!
Funk Funk Hat funk

I think Lurch is right. I had that happen to a Plexi once and had to swap the pot out. If the volume is suddenly jumping at any point of the pot's travel then it's a pretty good indication of pot trouble. You can get those pots off mouser.com for not much cash. Mouser is about the only place i have found that will carry every size pot for the modules.

Peace, Joshua

Thank you all for your input, those that posted here & as well as those that responded in PM format. The general consensus is the pot is shot. This makes sense. I'm guessing 4+ hours on my front step during our great Nordic winters probably did the pot in. **** winters :evil:

For now my solution is to crank the module level on all of my modules, then use the RM4 Master to get the desired volume.

Go to radio shack, get some deoxit electronic cleaner. Cost you around $12 I think. Take your module, look at the back of the pots. See where the three 'legs' are that go into the circuit board? There is a gap between those and the back of the pot. Spray some cleaner in that gap, then work the control back and forth - full on to full off, back and forth. Do this several times, Now try your module again. If the problem persists, you'll probably need to replace the pot. If not, then congrats you just fixed your module.

Pete

Sounds like a plan Pete. I imagine I will need some deoxit somewhere down the line anyway. **** scratchy pots. :lol:

Hi,

I had the same problem with my ultra. Full preamp volume = 30% level of the other modules. Switched out my v1 in module with a spare 12ax7 and it came back to life

I had a module I bought from ebay recently act this way. Looking for remedies on here lead me to believe a pot was shot from transit. I removed and reseated both tubes and the problem (thankfully)went away.