Salvation Phish or Hilligan Snorkeler

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrlw

Reaction score
Has anyone ever A/B'd these two modules? I'm wondering which one comes closest to the real thing - the Bogner Fish brown channel.

Well...they will also have needed to own or play the Bogner Fish too!

That's true. Maybe I should have asked which one sounds the closest to Cantrell's early AIC tone. :lol:

I'll be able to tell you soon considering Antonin built the first PHISH for me and I have a Bogner modded fish comming through with the Cantrell mod.

The PHISH is a good module, it has its own distinct sound/voice compared to other med/high gain modules. Antonin's PHISH is based on the brown channel of the preamp.

But if your chasing JC's modded fish rig sound... theres plenty of talk about that rig on another forum.

I'll post back in a few weeks after my fish gets delivered.

I say Snorkeler. I refuse to pay the price for a Salvation module. I am sure that they are great but not great enough to justify the price difference of the JF, Gigmods, or Voodoo modules I have.

I think the price difference is overstated^^ Salvation mods can get pricey when you order every toggle possible, but if you order something without toggles (or maybe 1 or 2) it's not that much different than the others. Of course shipping might run you a few bucks (20?) more, so that adds it up.

And if you're looking at the used market, Salvo Mods hold value here in the US, primarily due to the overseas shipping. Conversely, the US modders used modules have been seen going for cheap cheap- that is crazy when you hear the tone. So on the used market, yes, there may be better value options

Our modders put out super work, I won't say one is better than the other, everyone you listed offers a great service and super tone. I'm so happy at the options available. :D

eyeball987 said:
I say Snorkeler. I refuse to pay the price for a Salvation module. I am sure that they are great but not great enough to justify the price difference of the JF, Gigmods, or Voodoo modules I have.

And you are absolutely incorrect.

But way to make a solid contribution to the thread based on experience.

:roll:

Mike P said:
eyeball987 said:

And you are absolutely incorrect.

But way to make a solid contribution to the thread based on experience.

Not trying to cause any problems but from my experience reading the classifieds, many of the other modders modules have been moving for $200 to $250 on the used market recently. Last year at this time they were $250 to $350. The Salvo modules are almost always at least $100 more.

I am not bashing Salvation in any way. Just saying that you can get the domestic modules much cheaper (most of the time) and the tone is just as good. If you can prove me wrong then I would love to hear the facts. I am not above admitting that my observations were incomplete. Just be civil about it.

eyeball987 said:
Not trying to cause any problems but from my experience reading the classifieds, many of the other modders modules have been moving for $200 to $250 on the used market recently. Last year at this time they were $250 to $350. The Salvo modules are almost always at least $100 more.

I am not bashing Salvation in any way. Just saying that you can get the domestic modules much cheaper (most of the time) and the tone is just as good. If you can prove me wrong then I would love to hear the facts. I am not above admitting that my observations were incomplete. Just be civil about it.

How can you possibly state that "the tone is just as good" when you've never owned a Salvation module? That's outright nonsense.

I currently own two Voodoo Modules (and previously owned five), two Friedman modules, one Sacred Groove module (with two more coming - announcements soon. We've been working for months on three new modules) and four Salvation modules.

I can state that without a doubt, the Salvation modules are worth every penny, for many reasons. Not only does Anthony clone amps absolutely perfectly, he adds many extras such as noise gates, "Kill Switches" to reduce gain as well as switches to change the tone stack.

I've linked to clips in this forum with examples of nearly every module I own to prove my experience, something you have not done.

As for the Snorkeler, I've never heard the module but I'm personally more interested in a Fish clone, as I owned an original Fish in the early 90's. And in all honesty, I've not been even remotely impressed with the JF clips that have been posted in this forum and until I hear impressive clips, I have no interest in his mods.

Mike P said:
eyeball987 said:

How can you possibly state that "the tone is just as good" when you've never owned a Salvation module? That's outright nonsense.

To be honest, there are not many clips that I have heard of any of the modules that sound that great online. Sure, you can get the idea of what is going on but poor recording technique, rooms, camera mics, etc... I am guilty of all of those myself.

I would love to try a Salvation to prove myself wrong but I don't know of anyone local that has one. If I see one pop up at a good price, sure I might bite. I am not going to pay $400 for one though.

Again, not trying to cause any trouble or to step on any Salvo fanboy toes. Just my own personal observations. Yours will obviously be different.

eyeball987 said:
Again, not trying to cause any trouble or to step on any Salvo fanboy toes. Just my own personal observations. Yours will obviously be different.

Nice.

Here are some clips, in case you missed them the first time around:

Dave Friedman Brown Eye
: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/dirtyrose.mp3

Salvation Mods Angel
: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/gardenofmystics.mp3

Salvation Mods Stonerverb: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/amberdaze.mp3

Voodoo UG Jose: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/kingofthesun.mp3

Voodoo Recto
: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/demonsanddragons.mp3

Voodoo HG Jose
: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/toxic.mp3

Voodoo UG Jose & Voodoo AC30: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/emptyroom.mp3

Freidman Hairy Brown Eye
: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/arrowspace.mp3

Salvation Stonerverb: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/tangerinequeen.mp3

I haven't owned a Salvation either, but the price and the shipping are big deterrents. The volume of different mods and options that Salvation offers is phenomenal, I can say that much. I'm sure they are quality products also. They just aren't worth it for everyone.

I can get most of, if not all the sounds I want from guys on this side of the pond and a few stock (albeit Egnater, not Randall) modules. I can see you are a producer and studio musician where the tiniest little thing will effect the sound much more than the average player has to worry about. So you may be willing to pay that extra. Not all of us are, and that's ok too. I pay at home mostly. I rarely gig or play with other people. I occasionally record when I have the time to set up my recording stuff (I refuse NOT to mic a real speaker. Not enough control otherwise.) I also work 43+ hours a week on second shift. Everyone has different needs and standards.

When I get my JF Rverb in I'll try and make some decent clips that show it off a little better than what is out there.

sepherus said:
I haven't owned a Salvation either, but the price and the shipping are big deterrents. The volume of different mods and options that Salvation offers is phenomenal, I can say that much. I'm sure they are quality products also. They just aren't worth it for everyone.

I can get most of, if not all the sounds I want from guys on this side of the pond and a few stock (albeit Egnater, not Randall) modules. I can see you are a producer and studio musician where the tiniest little thing will effect the sound much more than the average player has to worry about. So you may be willing to pay that extra. Not all of us are, and that's ok too. I pay at home mostly. I rarely gig or play with other people. I occasionally record when I have the time to set up my recording stuff (I refuse NOT to mic a real speaker. Not enough control otherwise.) I also work 43+ hours a week on second shift. Everyone has different needs and standards.

When I get my JF Rverb in I'll try and make some decent clips that show it off a little better than what is out there.

Hey Dude, it's all good. I understand that everyone has different needs and that's cool.

The issue I tried to address was that someone that didn't have experience with Salvation mods was commenting on them and dismissing them. That's wrong, IMO.

I understand that all of these guys have worked very, very hard to perfect their modifications. I also realize that every modification isn't for everyone and that many people are happy with the stock modules. That's all fine and dandy from my perspective because we all hear differently and have different uses for the modules.

But with that said, I think it's very unfair to categorize people as "fan boys" or make comments on modules they've never even used or possibly even heard. And as much as I love Anthony's modules and work, I'd say the same for Trace, Dave or Scott (Sacred Groove).

It's just extremely uncool, IMO.

Mike P said:
sepherus said:

Hey Dude, it's all good. I understand that everyone has different needs and that's cool.

The issue I tried to address was that someone that didn't have experience with Salvation mods was commenting on them and dismissing them. That's wrong, IMO.

I understand that all of these guys have worked very, very hard to perfect their modifications. I also realize that every modification isn't for everyone and that many people are happy with the stock modules. That's all fine and dandy from my perspective because we all hear differently and have different uses for the modules.

But with that said, I think it's very unfair to categorize people as "fan boys" or make comments on modules they've never even used or possibly even heard. And as much as I love Anthony's modules and work, I'd say the same for Trace, Dave or Scott (Sacred Groove).

It's just extremely uncool, IMO.

I think you mis-understood my original, and subsequent, posts. I apologize for that. Let's try this again so that there are not issues between us and the OP can get back to getting the info he is looking for.

I have listened to your clips before. I have listened to pretty much all of the clips that get posted on here. Yours are close to, if not, the best that I have heard. I believe that I said as much in your original post when I replied.

I did not dismiss the Salvation mods. I simply stated my opinion that even though I have not played one, I can't personally justify the price given the choices and price points available elsewhere. The Salvo mods just may be better than the others but I can't prove it. That is not a dismissal. It's an opinion based on what I do have experience with.

I didn't know that being a "fan boy" was seen as a negative implication. I certainly didn't use the term in that fashion. At least, I didn't mean to. I will apologize for that also.

I am sincere in this response and I hope that clears it up. Are we good again?

All modders bring something different to the table...Salvation Mods don't go and stay up for sale often at all in the classifieds...There is a reason for that...Anthony, JF, Pete, Trace, Sacred Groove, Friedman, etc. all hear things a little differently...I try as many modules as I can and have settled on a mixture of all modders...When you connect and hear the same thing they intended, it's a good match...The end...

Yes, every modder has strong points and different perspectives on their mods...But it's kinda naive to officially go on record and make a declaration about someone's work being as good, better, or worse than someone else's when you haven't tried both...

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I know my Town & Country minivan is just as fast and cool... :lol: So why would I spend my money on a Ferrari?

I know what you're saying about money, but believe me, people would NOT be waiting so long and paying top dollar to Anthony if his mods were exactly the same as less expensive counterparts...Do other modders have work at par or better than Salvo? Not for me to say, check my sig and see who I support...I think all my modules are awesome and they've all come from different sources...Some have even been modded by two different modders :)

The point is, it's all in your perception of tone...Some people lock onto one modder and stay there because they share the same definition of good tone...I like to bounce around and try everybody's work...Some mods sound crappy to me...But it's not for me to say they're crappy...Just not for me...Better to leave it at that than make assumptions IMHO...

Mattfig said:
Yes, every modder has strong points and different perspectives on their mods...But it's kinda naive to officially go on record and make a declaration about someone's work being as good, better, or worse than someone else's when you haven't tried both...

I don't believe that I dismissed anyones work. I also didn't say that anyones work was better or worse than anyone elses. I obviously stated my original post errantly or there wouldn't be several people thinking otherwise.

I only meant to imply that I, personally, can't justify the price with the available options. That is not implying that one is better than the other. Can we please move along now?

Totally understood...Everything is cool man...I was just making a point in case someone searches out this thread at a later time...I know what you're saying...We all have a budget to work around...Some mods are just priced higher than others - it usually has to do with how much modding has been done...Some guys strip the entire board and start fresh if I'm not mistaken...That'll cost more than cap upgrades, etc...The end result is totally subjective anyway...I've flipped Salvation mods same day just as I have with everyone else's...haha...And will again...It's either for you or not...And yes, there are less expensive alternatives...Stock mods...Some users are VERY happy with them...I was never one of those lucky people though...Some modding always seems necessary...Plus, there's a lot of simple mods you can do yourself with a little practice...Tightening up a module, for example, is very simple...The modders make their $$$ by doing things the rest of us don't understand or know how to perform or design...

Everyone's MTS experience is different...Different cabs, amps, guitars, speakers, tubes...All that stuff is HUGE when it comes to your tone...Modding is just another variable...

All good...Sorry if I came off pissy...Wasn't intended...

Wow, this thread sure took a turn.

Are there clips of either modules as I am interested in this same topic. Cheers, Lucius