1 channel vs. 2 channel EGNATER Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have one Eggie module (SL) and I love it. I am considering going to all Egnater.

I often see Used Single Egnater Modules, but they often go for the SAME price as used DUAL Channel Egnater Modules!

So the question is: Do the Single and Dual channel modules sound the SAME? Better/Worse?

I ask because if it's the same price, and the sound is the same, I may as well go for used Duals when they become available and then already be making an investment towards the Dual Channel system. I figure that way I only spend the money once.

Please advise..

Thanks!

I A/Bd the eg3 single with the eg3/4 dual in the MOD50 and in the rm 100 and the eg3 s sounded the same to me with even the levels about the same.Both were awesome but I got rid of all the singles and went with the duals.

Not better, not worse, almost the same :D . Does that help? :p
Seriously,
I hear minor differences, but nothing major. I have a mixture of single and dual channel mods running in my mod100. I've a/b'd the SL++, the EG3/4 and the E-rect. Overall the only thing I noticed was a tad bit more midrange fatness in the EG3/4 and the E-rect. It's not night and day, but definitely there.
I would grab whatever you can used single or dual. Most of the dual channels just offer a higher gain setting. The EG3/4 is the only one that I have that the overall tone changes some between the 2 channels. Thats my meager opinion anyways.

When I bought my M4, I got the dual ch version loaded with single ch modules....(I'm still a bit @#?%&!$ with Indoor Storm about this...somebody should have filled me in). Anyway, having single ch modules in the dual ch pre didn't feel...eh.. "right" 8) so I got myself some dual ch too.

The dual ch modules can be set to sound quite similar to their single ch counterparts, but they sound quite different with knobs at noon. Lots more mid-honk in the dual channel ones, I prefer the "noon-setting" on the single ch modules. I can't really afford to have both versions of the modules so I'll probably sell the single channel ones in a while. But, for studio work only, not needing the versatility of the dual ch, I'd actually keep the single ch since to me they sound a tiny hair better (a tad bit sweeter and crisper top end).

Muudrock,

Can you elaborate on the difference between the two channels on the EG3/4 module? This will be what I order when I go MOD 50 later this year. I am a HUGE fan of the EG3. It's the one sound I cannot live without. I would be happy if the dual channel version was identical to each other, in other words the 3 and 4 were the same, just one with a little more gain than the other. I know the 4 has more gain but is the differnce mostly in the EQ? I remember my single channel EG4 was a bit tighter and had more highs in general.

IIRC it was only a difference in gain as they both share the same EQ. I don't remember the sound being any different when I would switch between channel A and channel B. They both sound great! :D

3 Mile Stone said:
Muudrock,

Can you elaborate on the difference between the two channels on the EG3/4 module? This will be what I order when I go MOD 50 later this year. I am a HUGE fan of the EG3. It's the one sound I cannot live without. I would be happy if the dual channel version was identical to each other, in other words the 3 and 4 were the same, just one with a little more gain than the other. I know the 4 has more gain but is the differnce mostly in the EQ? I remember my single channel EG4 was a bit tighter and had more highs in general.

I don't hear much of a difference in eq between the channels> Most prevalent is the change in gain structure. Maybe a very slight increase in brightness on the B (EG4) channel.
Since I have both, I agree the single channel EG4 is a little tighter and brighter than the dual channel EG3/4 but I only seem to really notice it at lower volumes. Honestly I've found all the dual channel versions to have somewhat more noticable mids and less brightness than their single channel versions. Not a bad thing at all as I prefer a warmer sound.
I would say if you like the EG3 you will not be disappointed with the newer dual channel version. I love it.

That's mighty fine news, I'm happy to hear that. Sounds PERFECT to me because I like them warm like that too. Now I am truly GASing big time for a MOD 50 head. Let's see how fast I can come up with the money. That'll hurt a little, but I'm sure it will be exactly what I need. Time for garage sale.

Latest posts