Tubes...Again...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
OK guys...I just learned a lesson in tubes again... I almost sold one of my prized modules because it just wasn't doing it for me anymore and I couldn't see why it had in the first place...Anyway, I went thru about 4 tube changes and configs and, all of a sudden, it's back! Now I know some will say that I'm hearing what I want to hear but in reality I was totally ready to put this module up in the classifieds...In fact I had started typing out the ad and taken pictures...But once this combo was in there I was in love again...Night and day difference? Absolutely not...Significant response and tonal richness - yep- with the right tubes...I also didn't realize how important V2 (in the module) is as well...I had typically discounted that and stuck with a few HG tubes I like...But there's much tone in that tube too...Different brands seem to have a more significant difference in V2...Weird....Basically, all my Rm4 and RT2/50 input tubes and PIs are already excellent...So the modules are the next thing to attack since I have quality cabs, mics, guitars, cables and the basics down...I guess I tend to nitpick things like tubes.... :) Just thought I'd share that experience....

I feel the same way about tube changes with the mts line, I think they make a Hugh difference.

I play 2 stock randall, and 3 stock egnater modules, and without the right tubes in them, I wouldn't bother with them. Well maybe the eggy modules. With the right tube combos they can sound pretty darn good. I haven't found the right combo for the VX yet, but I'm getting close.

My 2 modded modules make a difference also, but I don't find it to be as nullifying for my ear as the stock modules for some reason.

Edit: On a side note. I notice that the RM20 brings out more of the module than the RM4, even if I'm running it into the loop in (pre or post loop). Obviously I notice it more with the RM20 due to this. I have tried running the RM4 in many different configurations and I can't quite figure out why this is. I'm guessing it has to do with the extra circuitry in it. It wasn't as noticeable with my old RM50 either, but still much more noticeable than the RM4.

Yeah,tubes can make a difference with the tone..If you go on youtube and watch the George Lynch/Dave Friedman video whree they are working with modules they actually A/B'd with som etubes George liked and ther ewas a noticable differnce in the tone.....

muudrock said:
sepherus said:
I haven't found the right combo for the VX yet, but I'm getting close.

JAN 5751 in both V1 and V2..........Done.

I'm not quite sure man. The VX is actually a real Vox sound. It doesn't start to break up with hot humbuckers until about 4 or so & singles stay clean til 6. The drive is just in the mid gain at the highest setting.

I have been experimenting quite a bit with tubes in my high gainers and I have found, in almost every module that I like either all EI ecc83's or the EI's coupled with a RFT ecc83.

I have settled on the following in my chasis:

v1 Mullard NOS
v2 RFT
PI..GE 5751

This thing sounds HUGE.

Haven't done much with clean modules yet...and may not. I like my JC120 8)

My other amps and Axe Fx haven't been getting much love lately :wink:

Tube update:

Trying out some more Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7s....They are a touch bright but otherwise excellent....Low microphonics and very rich tone...Excellent preamp and module V1...

Also got some tubes from the Tube Store called Preferred Series 7025S ... They are good....Can't tell yet but it isn't love right away....Not dislike yet either- just gotta move 'em around more...

In the end, the Genalex will become my new fave tube...That is New Stock not NOS....For NOS my current fave is Jan Sylvania 12AX7WA....Excellent in everything...Always a winner...

We should get a sticky page setup here wit a tube recommendation list for modules with soundclips for each module. I think this would be very beneficial to virtually every member on here. Grant it everyone hears things differently and has their own tastes, but with soundclips also for each combination it'd be better to hear the differences in these combinations.

Thoughts?

We should get a sticky page setup here wit a tube recommendation list for modules with soundclips for each module. I think this would be very beneficial to virtually every member on here. Grant it everyone hears things differently and has their own tastes, but with soundclips also for each combination it'd be better to hear the differences in these combinations.

Thoughts?

+1

Mattfig said:
Tube update:

Trying out some more Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7s....They are a touch bright but otherwise excellent....Low microphonics and very rich tone...Excellent preamp and module V1...

No offense but if I had to spend $50 dollars per preamp tube in order to get a great tone, I'd sell the module, the amp, the preamp, etc. Whichever was the offending piece of gear.

I use ARS branded 12ax7's in all 11 modules plus the preamp section of my RM100 and paid $7.95 for each. In the power section, I have four "matched" Ruby Tube 6L6's that I burned in for 72 hours before biasing that I purchased for $40 dollars for the set.

I haven't had any issue with any of the modded modules being harsh, or too bright, or muddy, etc. IMO, everything, the modules and the amp, sound exactly as they're supposed to sound.

The ARS branded tubes seem to sound excellent...like the Ruby HG (probably the same tube) but cheaper.

I acquired ARS tubes in some Friedman modules at some point...

JKD said:
The ARS branded tubes seem to sound excellent...like the Ruby HG (probably the same tube) but cheaper.

I acquired ARS tubes in some Friedman modules at some point...

The ARS tubes are a Chinese tube and you're probably right that they're rebranded Ruby Tubes.

I'll have to ask the next time I'm up there at the shop.

Trace at Voodoo suggested the ARS tubes in a Voodoo UG Jose I had and they sounded great. I like the price too.

FWIW, I hunt for bargains and ebay sales so I can try fancy tubes at reasonable prices...And to each their own....I know many people who use straight JJs in everything and that's fine...I choose to mess with this stuff...It doesn't mean my gear is flawed I just always think it could sound a little better- it's a quest...Simply to say ARS tubes or sell it is a bit overstated...I just like to tweak...Tubes are my last frontier...The same argument can be used for all things musical...If the drums don't sound good with mid-level heads- sell 'em....If the amp doesn't sound great with a mid-level guitar - sell it....If the...You get the idea...Everyone tweaks in their own way....

Mattfig said:
FWIW, I hunt for bargains and ebay sales so I can try fancy tubes at reasonable prices...And to each their own....I know many people who use straight JJs in everything and that's fine...I choose to mess with this stuff...It doesn't mean my gear is flawed I just always think it could sound a little better- it's a quest...Simply to say ARS tubes or sell it is a bit overstated...I just like to tweak...Tubes are my last frontier...

No one was trying to offend you but please, use a little perspective.

A brand new Randall RM100 that's loaded with three modified modules can be purchased for around $2,400.00. For $2400, I can buy a 70's JMP50, a Peavey 5150 MkII and a Dual Rectifier on eBay.

Not one of those amps requires a $50 dollar 12ax7 to sound good or even great.

The bottom line is that you can "tweak" all you want but in reality, it's completely unnecessary to spend even $25 dollars per preamp tube, let alone $50 dollars, in order to get a great tone.

Mattfig said:
The same argument can be used for all things musical...If the drums don't sound good with mid-level heads- sell 'em....If the amp doesn't sound great with a mid-level guitar - sell it....If the...You get the idea...Everyone tweaks in their own way....

Yeah, pretty much. If I purchase a $2400 dollar drum kit, it had better sound **** good with decent and affordable heads. If an amp doesn't sound good with a "mid level" (and by that, I assume you're talking about a $1,000 dollar) guitar, there's certainly other issues at hand.

As I stated in a related thread, if you have to spend $50 dollars per preamp tube to have a "great" tone, there's an issue elsewhere, be it cables, speaker wire, speaker cabinet, speaker selection, pickups, guitar, etc.

It's just completely unnecessary in any scenario.

If you are going to spend that much money on an amp, why wouldn't you spend a couple more dollars on some decent tubes? I don't think Mattfig is saying that he needs expensive tubes to get the perfect sound, but subtle differences can be appreciated.

I've played around with different tubes in my modules, some I can tell a difference between, some I can't. I have personal preferences for some configurations, but it doesn't sound shitty if it's not set up that way, just not my preference.

I have a Telefunken that could probably go for more than $50, and you know what? It sounds fucking awesome in V1 of my JF Twin/Deluxe. I put a Ruby in that slot and I don't like the sound as much.

By your logic, why not just buy the cheapest guitar cables available? Hell, I've got a $1000 amp and $1000 guitar, why do I need to spend any more money on a decent cable?

spooch said:
If you are going to spend that much money on an amp, why wouldn't you spend a couple more dollars on some decent tubes? I don't think Mattfig is saying that he needs expensive tubes to get the perfect sound, but subtle differences can be appreciated.

I've played around with different tubes in my modules, some I can tell a difference between, some I can't. I have personal preferences for some configurations, but it doesn't sound shitty if it's not set up that way, just not my preference.

I have a Telefunken that could probably go for more than $50, and you know what? It sounds f&*king awesome in V1 of my JF Twin/Deluxe. I put a Ruby in that slot and I don't like the sound as much.

By your logic, why not just buy the cheapest guitar cables available? Hell, I've got a $1000 amp and $1000 guitar, why do I need to spend any more money on a decent cable?

Why don't you post clips so we can all hear the difference?

The bottom line is that it's completely unnecessary to spend that kind of money on tubes.

Period.

Oh, and I have a clips.