Anyone try the Voodoo Express or Liverpool mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

Reaction score
I've honestly never even seen a Trainwreck of any sort, let alone heard one outside of recordings. Thus my dilemma. My DLX doesn't quite give me anything I can't get (imo) better things out of with my other cleanish modules so I've been looking into mods for that which could be interesting to my ears. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd like to say "yeah, I've tried it", but really all I can say is "I filled out the mod form and have been too lazy to send my deluxe module in for the express mod".

--B

Ever play the real deal then? By the clips I've heard it seems to be a bit more agressive in the mids and harmonics, but not to the point that it'd be a no no for classic rock stuff. Kinda some where in the mid Atlantic in regards to sounding brittish or american.

I had the Express Mod done to a Blackface a while back. Trace has changed the way he does his MTS mods since then, so my experience is probably not what you would have now. I will say that I sent it back and had him do the Twin mod to it because I did not like the Express. The Twin is great and is my main clean tone.

Also, Trace will tell you straight up that Trainwrecks are very hard amps to emulate since their gain comes from overdriving the power supply - something a module cannot do. He is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. You should call him to talk about the Trainwreck mods before you order.

He definitely is a great guy to deal with. I've talked with him about some potential mod work before. The first time he actually suggested just getting a different amp at the time as it would have cost more to get the amp I was using at the time to the level I wanted it. Ah the joys of being a t00b n00b with a blue voodoo. The next time was about tweaking my 5152, but I decided on FJA Mods at that time as he was a closer drive (half hour, as opposed to a little over an hour.)

As for the DLX, I don't want it to be clean. I don't actually dig most Fenders in real life, thus I'm not a huge fan of the modules either. I want it in the mid gain territory. I just want a little bit thicker gain and a touch ruder tone. I'm not sure it is the right module for what I want though. With my screamer in front as a boost and my darkest sounding guitar it is getting close to what I want, but the mids still aren't voiced right. I honestly might be better off ditching it and start with something a easier for the modders to mod.

Anyone want a DLX for something easier to mod?

What are you looking for tone wise? Another module Trace did for me was a JMP MV. It is a Marshall JMP which is a '70's Marshall. It is not bright like a Plexi or JCM 800 - has very balanced tone and a great midrange. It is a mid-gain module and takes a pedal well. The tone is more fat than aggressive, but it is pretty flexible.