Ultra vs. Ultra XL - what's the difference?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Was looking at the list of available modules from Randall... does anybody have first hand experience with both the Ultra and Ultra XL? Read the description on the Randall website, and the descriptions are so vague, I have no idea what the difference should be (and, of course, it's hard to compare when there are no demo clips for the Ultra XL).

So, who wants to weigh in on the differences? :)

--B

Hey Brent,
I've got all of the modules and will do a back to back comparison with the two tomorrow morning and report my findings...
I used to go back and forth between my Ultra and XTC as my main high gain tone....then the Ultra XL came and it then ran it's course as my main high gain module... I think it's similar to the Ultra, but with a little more definition if I remember correctly.

The 1086 was my main high gain module (you can hear it on all the recordings on my band's website).

I recently picked up a Grail module and it's really been able to work it's way into my live rig quite nicely. Very similar to my Mesa Recording Recto preamp. MUCH better than the Recto/Rectified/Treadplate since I've seen some people compare the Grail to those before...

Anyways; I'll put the Ultra / UltraXL in side by side tomorrow and see what I really hear.

Good deal... I already killed about an hour earlier tonight listening to all the sound clips in your sig. Now I've gotta go check out the AHC clips to see the 1086 in action.

--B

To me the XL is everything the Ultra should have been.

Nice HIGH GAIN sound without the hiss and noise. Granted it's still got some, but the gain to noise ratio is surely acceptable.

IME very tight and heavy.

NuSkoolTone said:
To me the XL is everything the Ultra should have been.

Nice HIGH GAIN sound without the hiss and noise. Granted it's still got some, but the gain to noise ratio is surely acceptable.

IME very tight and heavy.

Would you say it has MORE gain??? Or does it atleast match the ultra for gain???

Latest posts