RM4 Older Module Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

METALVOODOOCHILE'

Reaction score
I am selling my RM4 and the older solid silver face Ultra & Recto modules. I've had a few prospective buyers ask if the RM4 and the modules contain lead free solder or if the solder contains lead.

I couldn't find any information on this subject but if anyone has information on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

For it to be lead free it has to have a sticker on it which has the letters Pb in a crossed out circle. It's only necessary for EU countries. For other concerns,
just having lead solder in an amplifier is perfectly safe. It doesn't "evaporate"
into the environment.

KC2 is right. Lead is only toxic if it is desoldered and then you'd need to desolder a few gallons to get anywhere close to heavy metal toxicity.

As for the question, since RoHS went into effect between 2003 and 2006 i would say that you could do a serial number search to find out when it was made. I know Randall was on the front end of those years so anything post 2003 is probably lead free.

Of course he may want to know because of the long standing and mostly true rumor that lead is a better conductor and as such lead products tend to fare better.

When I removed the modules, the preamp tubes in the modules were pretty hot and this is when the question of lead free components came up. I just wanted to show what tubes were swapped out in the modules and to get a better look inside.

I never thought about lead free components and the ROHS compliance, I just assumed that all amps and preamps contained leaded solder.

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks.

Just to put your mind at ease, typical soldering tip temperature to melt common 60/40 (lead/tin) alloy is 600 to 700 degrees F. The smoke that is produced went soldering at that temperature is NOT from the solder, it's from the flux which is NOT poisonous. You would need a dead short in the amp to melt the solder. I work for an aero-space manufacturing company and I solder all day. I also have been a gunsmith since the middle '70s and handled lead both as babbit material, using a piece of lead as a hammer,
as well as casting bullets and firing literally thousands of rounds. There is no lead in my blood. I've had it tested. Yeah, hair samples, too. Lead heated to the point of vaporizing is a different story. That does not happen in regular soldering applications.