Is it me, or do the Randall Clips suck?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
No disrepect to MW who recorded them, he's a GREAT engineer. However I think the samples of the modules on Randall's website are useless! (Also having to "reset" everything when changing modules is a REAL PITA) This is because they aren't played in context. IMO the old ones while a little less in fidelity served the purpose better because you could get a real feel of what it was going to sound like.

The same riff played through every module just doesn't work in this app to me. On Seymour Duncan's site I think it does, but not here. I'm not going to play heavy metal typically with a blackface, and I wouldn't play county with an ultra.

I can't find the old clips ANYWHERE and I think that's a loss. I honestly think Randall should redo ALL the clips when the ULTRA XL/Lynch stuff comes out so we can make better purchase decisions. I personally don't have any opportunity to try them locally, so clips and forum opinon is all I've got. I really think Randall is losing sales over this and should consider it.

Not sure it was MW (who ever that is) recorded them.

They do sound very similar and do not show off the versatility of the modules.

Guessing then that Randall has put up new clips - wasn't aware of that.

Yep agreed the new clips are crap, it's time randall got new clips on the website, especially clips for the signature modules preferably played by the artist involved.
For those of you that haven't heard the old clips go to

http://www.music123.com/Randall-MTS-Series-Tube-Preamp-Modules-i68567.music

and hit the sound demo link.

Cheers

rickgk said:
Yep agreed the new clips are crap, it's time randall got new clips on the website, especially clips for the signature modules preferably played by the artist involved.
For those of you that haven't heard the old clips go to

http://www.music123.com/Randall-MTS-Series-Tube-Preamp-Modules-i68567.music

and hit the sound demo link.

Cheers

Hey thanks, I was looking for that! I knew one of the bigger chains had them, just forgot which.

I thought the same thing. The clips on the Randall website sound very similar regardless of module used. I thought perhaps it was just my laptop's crappy built in speakers but apparently not. The modules in my RM100 sound different form the website and I'm glad I didn't use the website as a guide, its useless. Also, I thought it was odd that my Ultra Plus module sounds wimpier than my Ultra module. Why would they call a module "Plus" in a case like this?

Holy doodoo Batman! This is the first time I'm heard the old ones. They are WAY WAY WAY better! I have a much better idea about the modules that I haven't tried now.

I would love this to be updated with the new modules along with what mics were used, what guitars, etc.

Also, have you guys ever loaded up the clips off of www.egnater.com and looked at the song titles? Pretty funny stuff.

On this topic, I'd vote that they send all of the modules to John Czajkowski and get him to do the samples. :)

The Ultra Lead is designed for that leads primarily, i love that module, it's the thickest fattest lead tone i have ever had, it does take a bit of taming though, i find i have to run mids at 9 o'clock lows at 9-10, and highs about 2 to get the clarity i like, otherwise it is just too thick to get the pick sensitivity just right. In my opinion it is just too low mid heavy for a rhythm sound. But perfect for leads.

I also use the Ultra Lead as my solo module...it gives you a very thick lead tone. I've never owned a Boogie Mk series amp, but this is the tone I associate with those amps...can be very Santana-ish if you want it to be.

I wasn't too impressed with the Ultra Lead myself. It just seems to be on the weak side to me. I seem to go back to the XTC 8) I just picked up an SL+ from a forum member here but have not tried it out yet.

I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has the old clips that they could post.

I agree that the clips on Randall's site aren't very helpful.
Thanks!