module tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike

Reaction score
has anybody experiment with replacing the preamp tubes? I have the XTC w/ EH tubes and after 3 months the tubes are starting to hiss,and after 2 months on my 1086 I had to replace them too. is it just the EH tubes or maybe the hi-gain mods eat tubes!

Yes, I've experimented with different tubes with good results. I am of the opinion some modules prefer some tubes over others. Put another way, it's an easy tweak you can do to each module to get it one step closer to how you think that particular module should sound.

Yeah, definately change them out and try a fresh pair. You could even try the JJs or Tung-sols for a change. I had 2 of my modules come stock with the EH12ax7s and they went out way too quick.

For a good selection of tubes go to : www.tubedepot.com I'm not a spammer, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Prices are good, I think the EH's are $7.95 currently. Based on experience, if you try the high gain tubes in a high gain module you may have problems with excessive noise, or microphonics ( I think that's the term) I tried the JJ 803S ( HG) in the SL, not good. Any gain setting above 1:00 was calling all the dogs in the neighborhood.

H

I hope that bad EH batch is all eliminated or consumed as I have an order for a few of those, along with some Tung-sols and JJ/ Teslas and what else.

I went with cryohardened pre-amp valves for a clearer sound and longer life. I guess should my EHs come from that bad batch it shouldn't matter much having recieved that treatment.

Yes, I've experimented with different tubes with good results. I am of the opinion some modules prefer some tubes over others. Put another way, it's an easy tweak you can do to each module to get it one step closer to how you think that particular module should sound.

+1 on that. This is your at home mod shop. I find amazing, subtle, but still significant changes in just moving different types and brands around. For example in my set up my XTC module was always a little bighty. Combination of EH in V1 and JJ in V2 = cool tone. I have used the following tubes to do all kinds of things to change sounds.

NOS GE 5751 (%75 power of 12AX7) - good at giving a mod a more vintage feel. Lowers gain obviously. XTC EG3 for mid-gain crunch.

EH - The norm.Bruce and Frank put these in their mods standard. Must be a reason.

JJ - To me does different things to different mods.Good tonal option.

Very Old Telefunken - Unbelievable clean tones. DLX.

I really want to get some Tung Sol 12AX7. I love their power amp tubes.

3 Mile Stone said:

+1 on that. This is your at home mod shop. I find amazing, subtle, but still significant changes in just moving different types and brands around. For example in my set up my XTC module was always a little bighty. Combination of EH in V1 and JJ in V2 = cool tone. I have used the following tubes to do all kinds of things to change sounds.

NOS GE 5751 (%75 power of 12AX7) - good at giving a mod a more vintage feel. Lowers gain obviously. XTC EG3 for mid-gain crunch.

EH - The norm.Bruce and Frank put these in their mods standard. Must be a reason.

JJ - To me does different things to different mods.Good tonal option.

Very Old Telefunken - Unbelievable clean tones. DLX.

I really want to get some Tung Sol 12AX7. I love their power amp tubes.
I had it described to me such, that EH is a neutral, treble roll off Russian of medium harmonic content; JJ slightly middy but very linear and having a "true tone". Aparently the Tung Sol 12AX7 and the GT-12AX7M are the most vintage and harmonically rich valves out there, the GT being darker than the TS. Based on these descriptions I put a dozen or so valves in my virtual shopping cart, so I hope that holds true now.

Hi all,

After reading about TungSol's reissue 12ax7 i decided to give them a try, so i have just received a bunch i ordered last week and i have to say those are really something and work especially well for me.

I put one in V1 position replacing a JJ 12ax7, i noticed some improvement there, less congestion in the mids so to speak but not less mids. A more articulate sound with plenty of punch and dynamics. I love them !

I also oredered a balanced one to put in the phase splitter position and also noticed a rounder, beefier sound with more clarity.

Tried one in my trusty Plexi mod and got more Marshall authenticity than before with less fuzziness than the EH it replaced.

I was less impressed with it's performance in my XTC though which originally had Eden's 7025. I bought this module used, i don't even know if those tubes are originals, so your mileage may vary. I perceived somewhat less apparent gain but got interesting results nonetheless with mix and match TungSol's/7025, 7025/TungSol, TungSol/JJ ...

Overall a truer guitar tone, more organic sound with less piercing highs which is a good thing, to me at least ...

Claude