Egnater Dual Channel Module - Comments?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Mile Stone

Reaction score
Yo Eggy Heads,

Well, since my MOD 50 head is days away I did a search on dual channel modules just to gather up impressions and opinions about what mods people like the best etc. Didn't get a very cohesive pile of info, so. Post your comments and tell me what you dig! My MOD 50 will be loaded with a Twin/Vox a B'man and SL dual channel mods. I have an EG3/4 on order with Bruce and Frank. I am very very interested in hearing from any one about the XTC and COD dual channel mods as well as the others I mentioned.

Fire away guys!

Hey Tommy,Congrats on the MOD!!!!!So far every module that is on my list is my favorite.But that dual channel Bassman always seems to stay in the mod.I talked to Frank and I think I'm going to have some custom mods done in the near future and I did order the COD.Let the ADDICTION BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I really love my SL module, it does the AC/DC thing really well on the first channel, and I love boosting the second channel for a "Slayer-like" rhythm tone. It really does the raw, sort of old school metal thing well, especially with hot pickups. The SL2 is voiced sort of like the SL, but it gets alot more compressed and saturated, and obviously has more gain. Using both of them in my M4 seems a bit redundant to me, lately I've been using Twin/Vox/SL/MHG, and that combo seems to cover quite a bit of ground. I just talked to Frank on Friday and he tells me the COD is another 4 weeks away, that's definately a must have, I've also been thinking of picking up an E-Rect for a different high gain flavor. It's addictive for sure, I can't see myself stopping until I own them all.

I have the DLX & SL modules, both are fantastic, i have channel A of the deluxe set for pristine clean, and the gain on channel B cranked for a really nice vintage rock tone. The SL covers alot of territory like jayDa said vintage ac/dc style on channel A to really saturated (more so than i expected) smooth 80's rock brown sound on channel B. I can't wait to get more.

Wow, cool. I didn't know the B channel on the SL had so much gain. It sounds like it has a little more than the single channel version. I can't wait to try it. I'm going to have to figure out which one is going win the "A" slot sweepatakes, SL or B'man. I am not doing pristine type cleans in my musical environment right now or I'd be hunting down a DLX.

If you're not concerned with the cleans, I highly recommend the SL2 and MHG. SL2 is serious modded Marshall hot.

And the MHG is GREAT singing sustaining leads tones especially with the gain boosted a bit on ch B. But you can also get the great palm muted 'chugga' thing on ch A by tweaking the EQ a bit. I like it WAY more than the ERect module.
My 2 cents...
Joe

I was also suprised at how much gain the SL has on channel 2, way more then I thought there was going to be. I'm curious about the EG3/4 , anyone compared it to the MHG?

I am beginning to think I am the only person who has played one that doesn't care for the MHG module :oops:

I am a gain freak and love the other high gain modules, but that one doesn't do much for me. But hten, if we all liked the same things the world would sure be boring!

mctallica1 said:
I am beginning to think I am the only person who has played one that doesn't care for the MHG module :oops:

I am a gain freak and love the other high gain modules, but that one doesn't do much for me. But hten, if we all liked the same things the world would sure be boring!

If it's anything like the Modern on the Randall modules...then I absoultely agree...couldn't get on with this Module at all.

Right now, I'm all about the Ultra..but still need to try Grail and Treadplate or eRect for 'modern high gain' :D

JayDA said:
I was also suprised at how much gain the SL has on channel 2, way more then I thought there was going to be. I'm curious about the EG3/4 , anyone compared it to the MHG?

Nothing alike at all in my experience, but then I haven't tube swapped my EG3/4 or MHG either. EG3/4 is a very dark marshally module. Thick tones. Not nearly as much gain as the MHG. MHG isn't dark at all and has lots of bite.

mctallica1 said:

My recent time spent tube-swapping in amps V1 and the modules has produced some eye-popping surprises for me. I've learned that before judging a module I have to play around with the tubes. I didn't much like my SL2 module but then I put a GT mullard reissue into it with a 9th gen chines in the second socket. Combine that with a few tube swaps in V1 and wow! This module went from little usage to permanent slot 2 occupier. Hit it with a boost and hold on.....

Yep, I could not agree more. Same thing happened to me with several modules. Finding the best combo is a challenge, but it's fun. It really does make a difference which ones you place where too.

I agree it can completly change a module. I've spent hours swapping tubes around, its a blast.

MichaelG said:
mctallica1 said:

My recent time spent tube-swapping in amps V1 and the modules has produced some eye-popping surprises for me. I've learned that before judging a module I have to play around with the tubes. I didn't much like my SL2 module but then I put a GT mullard reissue into it with a 9th gen chines in the second socket. Combine that with a few tube swaps in V1 and wow! This module went from little usage to permanent slot 2 occupier. Hit it with a boost and hold on.....

Agree 100%!

I don't judge a module until I have tried pretty much every preamp tube I have (Normally at least 15 different kinds around at any given time) and if I still don't get there, I try the amp through my other cabs (though I love my MOD50 through my VHt Fat Bottom with MC90's :wink: )

Sometimes it just ain' a fit. That seems to be the case with the MHG...I have owned 3 of them (keep trying!!!) and 2 have ended up getting modded to something else. The other was sold.

But hey, theyre are plenty of other high gain modules that make me smile 8)

Although the VOX in my M4 gets a ton of different tones, I have it pretty much pegged as my single coil twang station often getting hit with a TS in front of it. The SL2 is my de facto lead channel with Humbuckers. Thick as molasses. Followed by a nice analog delay and you are in Morse territory for sure. I also like to put my ?69 Fuzz in front of SL2 ch A (with very little gain of course). My Modern is what I use for my single coil and humbucker fusion lead tones. It has been modified by Bruce to be more like the Red channel on my Bogner Ecstasy 100B. The Erect is like the roundhouse kick to the chest for metal tones. It is very full, punchy, defined, and just brutal at stage volume with he VHT 2/50/2.

My 2 MOD 50s shipped today with COD, T/D, and a weird EG3/EG3. (I said yeah!) These are my fav?s for what I do. Until now, all my clean tones are from the ie4 ch 1 and 2. This may change when I get my new heads and modules! I should note that the ie4 ch 3 (EG3) is just my meat and potatos channel. I hope the EG 3 module is just like it!

John,

As I have noticed before YOU ARE AN EG3 FREAK just like me. I have my EG3/4 on the way, so let us know how that mutation works for you. And how did you set it up? EG3 Gain and EQ on Channel A, and then EG3 gain with EG4 EQ on Channel B or what combination of gain & EQ structure did you specify? Or are they just identical? EG3 X 2. I had thought about making this same request, some of you might remember I was running two EG3 in my M4 rig before I went MOD 50 Head route. I figured I would order it straight up and see how I liked it and then send it in to be modded. I usually find the tighter, slighty brighter EQ of the EG4 to be a little less of what I want. Dig that EG3 sound!

Gotcha. I'm thinking if you are digging that I may need to try that 69 pedal. I love Fulltone stuff and that is exactly what I am going for too. Plus with the 69 off it's a great medium gain sound.

I had a Fulltone Ultimate Octave once. Besides getting the best "Octavia" rasping modulation sounds, you could footswitch the octave part off and it was a darn smooth fuzz. Maybe that's the ticket. BTW the 70 may be worth a try but my understanding is it's a harsher silicon based sound, where as the 69 is a germanium, smoother sounding fuzz. That's just what I've read though, I could be wrong. I definately remember the Ultimate being a very nice smooth fuzz tone. It has a "smooth" switch on it so there you go!

Latest posts