Friedman Hairy Brown Eye vs Voodoo UG Jose (Similar?)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatSloane

Reaction score
Anybody play both of these mods and able to make a comparison?

I have an Egnater dual module modded by Friedman to H.B.E., which I love.

I also have a SL+, which doesn't cut it going up against my 1987, Judge, and HBE. I was thinking about sending this off to Voodoo for a UG Jose mod, but I don't want to waste the time and money if it is going to end up being real close to the HBE.

CatSloane said:

I also have a SL+, which doesn't cut it going up against my 1987, Judge, and HBE. I was thinking about sending this off to Voodoo for a UG Jose mod, but I don't want to waste the time and money if it is going to end up being real close to the HBE.

I owned both at one point in time and found them to be "different". The HBE is more "scooped" sounding and the UG was heavy in the mids. I couldn't really dial in one to sound like another. The UG was definitely more "compressed" sounding and the HBE more "open", especially on the top end. (I put those words in quotes because everyone's definition varies).

Both were nice, it's just a matter of taste. FWIW, I could get much closer to the "Brown Sound" with the HBE than the UG. The UG was really cool for neck pickup soloing. Think Santana or Sykes on the 1987 Whitesnake record.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Mike P said:
CatSloane said:

I owned both at one point in time and found them to be "different". The HBE is more "scooped" sounding and the UG was heavy in the mids. I couldn't really dial in one to sound like another. The UG was definitely more "compressed" sounding and the HBE more "open", especially on the top end. (I put those words in quotes because everyone's definition varies).

Both were nice, it's just a matter of taste. FWIW, I could get much closer to the "Brown Sound" with the HBE than the UG. The UG was really cool for neck pickup soloing. Think Santana or Sykes on the 1987 Whitesnake record.

Hope that helps. :wink:

This tracks pretty closely with my experience. I've heard the HBE described as having the "Brown Sound on steroids," which is as good a description as any.

To answer your question, though, they're definitely different enough to warrant owning both if you're a fan of modded-Marshall tones.