What is your favorite mod? What is the best mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
Howdy Yaw'll,

I wanted to know 2 things.

1) What is your favorite module? It can be a stock module or a modded module. Egnater, Randall, JF, DF, Salvation, Pete, Voodoo, SG, ect.

2) What do you think is the best module? If you can't decide, make a list of 3 mods.

if you could provide a few reasons why you feel that way, it would be great :)

I'll start-

1) My favorite module thus far is the Salvation Custom 3. It gives me various high gain sounds that are great for both rhythm and lead. I like it so much that I'm ordering a second one.

2) I think the best mod I've played is the Salvation Manderine Stoneverb. Mine is modified a little for better tone shaping. I think it's the best module because it has so many tonal shapes. It can go from clean, to classic rock, to hard rock and get into brutal high gain territory. I have a few switches for more mids, less mids, scoop, rockerverb, AC30, and so on. It takes a pedal like a champ too.

1) What is your favorite module? AT the moment, my favorite is the Jaded Faith XTC. I mainly use it for a lead channel and it just always seems to sound right and very fun to play. It gets some great clean tones too but where it shines for me is solos.

2) What do you think is the best module? I can?t answer that one but my ?desert island?,?if I could only have one and it can be dual channel? would be the Egnater B?man. Warm round clean the way I like it on the edge of break up on the A channel and open, organic rich sounding over drive on the B channel. With a good OD or boost in front, I could get any sound I would ever need.

Right now, my 8 channels are used like this:
Bman A = clean for everything.
Bman B = pushed clean to mid gain rhythm (nice with percussive delays)
EG3/4 A = AC/DCish mid gain rhythm (light chugging)
EG3/4 B = heavy modern rhythms chugging and solo
OD special = dynamic soloing of any style
59RR Plat = classic rock, aggressive rock and less polite stuff
JF XTC = solo heaven with a light delay
MarkX = singing solos, fusion solo, and heavy modern rhythm/7 string

I am a newbie, can the dual channel Eggie modules be used with the regular randall? I know they will not switch channels

Hmmmm, interesting!

1)What is your favorite module? Right now, I think that's going to be the Salvation Rhoadie. It has a great hot plexi sound, and the hi and low gain volumes allow you to dial in the gain in a variety of different ways. It just sounds so killer!

2) What do you think is the best module? I've been playing with the new Salvation Camerock, and the variety of tones it can get is pretty amazing. So many ways to dial in different distorted sounds. Incredible. Also, the MashAll+ for it's tonal variety, from clean to thick marshall distortion deserves a big nod, and OF COURSE the Salvation Salvado DeLuxe

You can tell I like flaming hot Marshall tones, huh? :lol:

One of the best one's Ive played is one that gets overlooked,the Salvation Kranken....huge and articulate tone,can get a variety of mid-high gain tones as well with use of the sweep control.....Stonerverb is great as well...goes from clean to scream...Sacred Groove Diablo is a monster and super versatile with more options added......another honorable mention would be the gigmods recto.....I like it alot becasue it gets as big and beefy as the Mamba,but more organic like a real Recto..Salvado Deluxe is cool,as is the Mashaldano....Like it alot better than the Mashall plus...a little more autentic sounding and a unique flavor with the hybrid mode,one of the best marshall mods in my opinion,though I still want to try the RR platinum......those are some of the best Ive owned out of the 50 or so since Ive been into mts

My current favorite and best module are basically a tie, can't decide between the two - SG XTC LE and Salvation Masholdano. Both are super versatile and can go from great clean, crunch and heavy gain. Two options I dig on each module that really help shape the tone is my newly updated Depth switch on XTC LE and the Dark/Normal/Bright mode on Masholdano. You can't go wrong with either one and they also compliment each other very well which is even better.

A third favorite mod of mine is the Matchvox, especially for my cleans. Hands down one of the most versatile and best sounding clean to mid gain/crunch modules. I really dig it for blues and for playing 50's and 60's tunes and of course it's great from just about anything else with it's mode, boost and spice switches.

Scott and Anthony - thanks again to both of you for your hard work and creation on these great gems!

Tough call, especially given how good so many modded modules are, and how few of them I've had a chance to try.

I'm gonna have to go with the SacredGroove MK22 as my favorite mod. The only kind of tone it doesn't totally excel at, in my opinion, is pristine cleans, which you wouldn't use a Marshall JMP for anyway. Everywhere else, it is just dynamite. Its mid-gain sounds have this wonderful woody forwardness to them, and if you kick it into 2204 mode and crank the gain up to about 8, you get a super-tight grinding crunch that is killer for metal.

As for the best module, I'd say it's a toss-up between the MK22 and the Stonerverb. It's kind of apples and oranges since the Stonerverb is best at looser, more rounded tones, while the MK22 has the tightness covered. The nice thing about the Stonerverb is that you can get some AC30-esque chime out of it in the clean mode. In high-gain mode the tone has a lovely enveloping quality to it.

As an honorable mention, I'd single out the JF Voxless, because it can do a pretty convincing Marshall-esque crunch tone in the Matchless mode, and it does do really well at pristine cleans. It stops short of being suitable for metal, but anything up to that it covers admirably.

1) What is your favorite module? It can be a stock module or a modded module. Egnater, Randall, JF, DF, Salvation, Pete, Voodoo, SG, ect.

1-Changing my Number one!- The Masholdano is what I've been seeking in MTS all along! Just grabbed one and just blown away by the clarity and tones from this mod. I've had the Salvado Deluxe (2nd place and **** good) and the Mash all + for about two weeks and the Masholdano does Soldano AND Marshall better than both. Tony's best to my ears...I havent tried all of his but enough to say this is a special mod....

Hilligan Scorch- Out of all the high gainers (I've had about 40 from all modders and stock one included) this is the most articulate, clear and "warm organic" mod out there. it oozes METAL! A one trick pony but it does that one trick better than anything else I've tried. I've got Scorch #2- Its not a modded module but rather a built from scratch module using an Egnater board and premium parts. It practically plays itself, harmonics are insane, chords are 3D and the note seperation is awesome ...Before I got the Scorch, I was very impressed with the Salvado Deluxe and Voodoo Jose UG (also incredible harmonics and easy to shred on the Voodoo mods too) and would say those both are amazing tones- Salvado is clear, articulate with a ton of options.

Stock wise, The Judge is my favorite easily-Thins out as you lower the gain but crank everything and you have a brown and spongy tone for days and has killer feel/sag to it that is different and more inspiring to play than all the others.... I can also say with a little EQ added- I can make the Scary/Grail sound as good as any of modded modules. I am basing this on "live" settings through RM100's and Randall XL cabs I use and actually have had several folks tell me they like the stockers with a l ittle boost or EQ better than some of the "high end" mods I've had... Many factors go into this but I am very happy with this set up and would put it up against anything out there-The Lynch mods have a "feel" to them that is hard to beat straight out of the box. Once I start playing through the Judge, I usually stick with that- just incredible work by Friedman.

2) What do you think is the best module? If you can't decide, make a list of 3 mods.

As previously mentioned-

1-Masholdano (ULTIMATE 80's metal and beyond!)
2-Salvado Deluxe (verstaility and accuracy to the real deal)
3-Hillgan Scorch
4-Voodoo Jose UG and/or Judge

Also very solid modules and honorable mention- JF Platinum RR, JF Erect, Hilligan Snorkeler.

As always with MTS- This is subject to change!!!

1. My own Mr. Browstone module inspired by some assitance and ideas from Scott. It is essentially a brahma with additional gain stage and some minor tweakage - a hybrid scary/brahma. About to install a mid switch in it as well. Gets me my VH and AFD tones in one module to my ear depending on pickups I use and guitars. It just has the right "cut" and is crunch heaven. Backed off the gain I get a nice plexi ish tone too.

2. Best all around is my Hilligan SL2X which is the AFD in a box if you crank the treb a bit more and engage the bright. Treb under control and on either the normal or bright settings, this thing is a very versatile go to for 80's tones. Beats the pants off the judge all day long.

Kapo_Polenton said:
1. My own Mr. Browstone module inspired by some assitance and ideas from Scott. It is essentially a brahma with additional gain stage and some minor tweakage - a hybrid scary/brahma. About to install a mid switch in it as well. Gets me my VH and AFD tones in one module to my ear depending on pickups I use and guitars. It just has the right "cut" and is crunch heaven. Backed off the gain I get a nice plexi ish tone too.

2. Best all around is my Hilligan SL2X which is the AFD in a box if you crank the treb a bit more and engage the bright. Treb under control and on either the normal or bright settings, this thing is a very versatile go to for 80's tones. Beats the pants off the judge all day long.

Hey Kev- Are you ever going to have a thread where you dont bash the Judge?? :lol: :lol:

hmic10 said:
I am a newbie, can the dual channel Eggie modules be used with the regular randall? I know they will not switch channels

Yes they can...with the caveat that you can only use one of the channels (not sure which) and they are not footswtichable.

After owning about 15 stock and 6 custom modules, here it is...
(all high gain mods)

1 Salvation Angel.
Just got it and it didn't dissapoint. It's huge, tight and articulate... and versatile. I own an Engl and was looking for something good enough to compete with it. I can now sell the Engl without regret. (need the money)

2. Hilligan Scorch.
Very nice warm, natural smooth, tight high gain distortion. A bit scooped and compressed in a good way. Love it!

3 Stock Ultra XL. If your tight on money, get an RM50 and the XL....period.
It competes with every custom mod I've heard and it's still my benchmark. I've sold many other expensive custom modules that fell short to this stocker. Olly complaint is it can be slightly boxy on low mids and maybe lacking a bit on airy highs and low lows. A graphic eq easily solves this. I use the eq on everything anyway (in moderation) to dial in tone.

A module I didn't like as much as these three was the Salvation MarkUs. I had very high expectations from clips but was disappointed. Thought it sounded NOTHING like a Mark IV and was sluggish, sloppy and the options seemed to be bad and worse. For example, the graphic eq "scooped" setting is so exagerated it's completely unusable. They completely missed the "Mark" on the magic of the gain staging and graphic eq that makes the Mark IV special. This mod is unique sounding in a bad way.

I also had high hopes for the Voodoo mods. I owned Tsunami and Sear but didn't like either enough to keep. Both were a little mushy on low end. Not terrible though. I can see why some people like them, very open and natural sounding. I spoke with Trace for a while to describe what I like and it really wasn't what I wanted at all. Nice guy though. I know his amp mods are great. He did kinda poo-poo Salvation for adding switches and options, but I like options!

I'd still like to hear/own a Custom 3, Kraken, and Stonerverb based on clips and reviews.

The question of "What is your favorite module?" gets the answer
"For what?"
The most versatile for me is the JF OD as it can do everything from roots stuff to traditional jazz to almost a metal sound if you set it right.
I also really love the stock PLexi as it is just a flat out cool warm tone that I just can't bear to send it away to be tweaked.
If you are asking what is my favorite cool unique tone that would get a different answer all together. I just got Rob's RVerb back last week and after dealing with the seating problem in my RM4, I have found it to be stunning.
This is like asking "What is your favorite spice?"
Lawry's seasoned salt or Spike are really versatile and can work for almost anything I cook. But if I want something subtle, I go for certain individual spices.

a. SG XTC LE just hands down a module that does most everything I need. Just got a Salvo Ecstasy and haven't tried side by side yet. Had some issues with it but I think they are resolved.

a. SG Fisch - Just does that thing. CHUG and more
b. Salvo - Stoner AD covers so much ground it's amazing
c. Gig XL+ with tons of options. Very unheard of mod as far as I can tell.

Too bad this is all just splooge because we all use different tubes, cables, cabs, speakers, power to our amps, pickups, picks, strings, fingers, rooms and our "EARS" of course etc etc etc.

Guess its just nice to know what is most liked...

grbassist said:
A module I didn't like as much as these three was the Salvation MarkUs. I had very high expectations from clips but was disappointed. Thought it sounded NOTHING like a Mark IV and was sluggish, sloppy and the options seemed to be bad and worse. For example, the graphic eq "scooped" setting is so exagerated it's completely unusable. They completely missed the "Mark" on the magic of the gain staging and graphic eq that makes the Mark IV special. This mod is unique sounding in a bad way.

Have to highly disagree with you here. My Markus I had was extremely versatile (cleans, crunch/mid gain and high gain). The EQ is nothing like any other mod out there - with tonestack before distortion on this it takes a little more patience and experimentation to dial in, but once you figure it out it has amazing sweet spots.

Also this is not based on a Mark IV, so if you're looking for that it's not based on that. So bashing the module for not being something it was not designed to be is not right. This is straight from Anthony:

Circuit uses combination of best features of MKII, MKIIC and Caliber series.

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea, but that's what's great about these amps, so many options for tones.

I WAS assuming it was a Mark IV, but I'm familiar with the IIC+ as well.
This didn't sound like any Mesa I've heard and I've spent LOTS of time the the Mark IV and Triaxis, both of which can get a tone similar to the IIC+.
Maybe there was something wrong with mine.:cry:
I also stand by my assesment of the EQ switch. It's ridiculous.
It sounds like some Metallica wannabe kid at Guitar Center on a Crate amp with the lows and highs cranked and the mids on zero :?

....I'm exagerating... a bit, but for $425 used I expected way better and have gotten way better on lots of modules including Stock...1086, XL, Scary etc.

I had a markus as well and didnt like it at first...watched some vids on mark amps,including a Pettrucci vid of him going through the Mk5 stuff and after watching it and wporking with the modules,I though it was spot on with the MARK IV setting,which is what he used....it was a huge sounding and articulate tone.....just not into the boogie stuff,but wanted to try one...Like all Salvation stuff,it didnt disappoint....

I had a markus as well and didnt like it at first...watched some vids on mark amps,including a Pettrucci vid of him going through the Mk5 stuff and after watching it and wporking with the modules,I though it was spot on with the MARK IV setting,which is what he used....it was a huge sounding and articulate tone.....just not into the boogie stuff,but wanted to try one...Like all Salvation stuff,it didnt disappoint....

Favorite = JF 59RR. It can do clean to mid gain to high gain & even can teeter on the edge of brutal gain. With a boost, OD or EQ pedal it likely could do brutal rather easily. Right now it is my go to module.

Best mod/module is relative. Right now I would say my JF 59RR, although my JF SLOD100 is right there with it. As soon as Rob and I finalize a design on the GTO that may take over as my #1.

All of this is subject to change, based on new acquisitions &/or going the drewiv route & going Egnater Duallies. :twisted: :lol:

Favorite - I go back and forth between the JF '59RR (everything RR and raw Marshall I've ever wanted) and stock 1086 (Hard to describe but the "smoothest/cleanest" high gain).

Best so far for me is the '59RR. Versatile, everything from cleanish to brutal (EQ like Hamner said).