Some modules better suited for different power tubes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
I was messin around today after geting the 6L6 side of my RT2/50 back up today. (I had a fuse blown and left it, couldn't find the right fuse for a few months so everything went to the EL34 side in the meantime)

Gotta say IMO some mods DEFINITELY prefer EL34's to 6L6 and vice versa!

For Example, the JTM (Which has been my clean lately) sounded pretty good with the EL34's (No surprise) but with 6L6's it got WEAK, and I STRONGLY preferred my (Modded) Blackface. However the Blackface sounded great with the EL34 too, got more push and took on some of the qualities of the JTM but with more headroom.

One BIG surprise though, the 1086! EL34 all the way. 6L6 and it lost it's soul. Conversely the Ultra XL Sounds VERY similar to the 1086 with EL34's So I was considering ditching it. But through 6L6's, WHOA! Now I'm almost thinking if I could live without the 1086! I know the 1086 has MANY settings, but there's really only ONE I use (Like probably most of you)

I didn't go nuts checking this out but as I was playing with modules today these stood out.

Anyone else have a similar impression? What Modules were a big difference for you?

Ive noticed the same things. For me, any Marshall based module just doesn't cut it thru 6L6's. I really dig them for the Fendery stuff, but not for any thing "Marshally"

I have found though that the KT77 seems to sound good with all the modules. It is good mixture of El34 and 6L6.

muudrock said:
Ive noticed the same things. For me, any Marshall based module just doesn't cut it thru 6L6's. I really dig them for the Fendery stuff, but not for any thing "Marshally"

I have found though that the KT77 seems to sound good with all the modules. It is good mixture of El34 and 6L6.

Ok, so I'm not nuts. I wonder if the modules are designed that way around certain powertubes?

For you guys that went with EITHER EL34's or 6L6's in the heads and combos might have some insight here as to why you preferred some modules over others.

I went with the 6V6 for this very reason. Too much contrast from the EL34 and 6L6 and I couldn't get both the clean and the dirt I wanted. 6V6 probably leans slightly to the 6L6 side but it is possible to get my JTM, SL, Plexi and EG3 mods to sound right with them. They are not as thick but they take on another demension that EL34 does not give them as a bonus. Hard to describe but they sound even more boutique or special. When I talked with Frank about what tubes split the difference between the 6L6 and the EL34 he said go with 5881. I'm watching a set on eBay right now. I'll let you know ho wthat works out. I'm looking to get back a little of that EL34 tone if I can.

3 Mile Stone said:
When I talked with Frank about what tubes split the difference between the 6L6 and the EL34 he said go with 5881.

Cool! Now are these NOS 5881's or the new production that many say are NOT true 5881's?

Well, that's a good question. Frank did not mention. The ones I'm watching on eBay are Tung Sol, new ones. Those are not true 5881?

Are any of the new ones true 5881 or do I have to get NOS to get it right?

i'm curious as to what kind of mods you did on the blackface module, and how it ended up sounding when it was all said and done[/quote]

You can get a brand new matched pair of the Tung Sol 5881 tubes from dougstubes.com for $40.

The new Tung-Sol 5881s ARE true 5881s and Im running them in my MOD 50. I love them and Frank is dead on in his assessment.

The VX still prefers EL-34s, but the MHG absolutely kills with 5881s.

-Mattt

Well that's enough encouragement for me. i'm going on there tonight and I'll order a set. Can't wait to rock out with them. Right now I'm using the Plexi side of the dual channel SL module for clean and the B side (SL) for full on low gain, Marshall RTM tone. I'm getting by with the EG3 single channel for high gain until my dual channel gets here.

Thanks.