VHT/Fryette module accuracy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayd41

Reaction score
Anyone who has played a real Fryette amp and one of the modules modeled after them, how close do they come?
I am considering picking up a used Pittbull or Deliverance but if a modded module can get me close enough I may as well just go that route.
Specifically the dry, high gain and the tightness.

Any insight is much appreciated.

My VHT is based on a rare (but amazing model) of Pittbull called a 50/ST. The amp was one of Steve Fryette's personal favorite VHT's and it was essentially what a Marshall should sound like. It had the distinct VHT vibe, but less gain stages and saturation than most other models badged Pittbull. The problem is when most people think Pittbull, it's the Ultra Leads they have in mind.

I plan to discontinue it later this year and it will be replaced with a new VHT mod based on my personal Sig X head. I expect a late summer/early fall release. The Splawn is my R&D priority right now.

So it sounds like my best bet for brutally clear, defined and tight amplification with a ton of gain for my 8 strings is a real deal ultralead or deliverance.

Thanks!

jayd41 said:
So it sounds like my best bet for brutally clear, defined and tight amplification with a ton of gain for my 8 strings is a real deal ultralead or deliverance.

Thanks!

Check out www.salvationmods.com

Look under modifications and look for Terrier, you can check out the soundclips page too.

jayd41 said:

Thanks!
The actual Pittbull UL is going to be the most intense of the bunch, with real Sig X being an alternate nod. The Deliverance is essentially like a hot-rodded classic Marshall type of amp and not a brutal metal machine by any means.

I have been a big fan of VHT for many years and owned several, so that's from my personal experiences as an owner.

Yeah, there are about 3 different VHT mods out there, and Salvation's is based more on the UL, I believe.

JF: Will your current VHT mod be available on special order? It sounds like I need to take a second listen to it.

Jaded Faith said:
The actual Pittbull UL is going to be the most intense of the bunch, with real Sig X being an alternate nod. The Deliverance is essentially like a hot-rodded classic Marshall type of amp and not a brutal metal machine by any means.

I have been a big fan of VHT for many years and owned several, so that's from my personal experiences as an owner.

Thanks Rob!
I was under the impression that the Deliverance was along the lines of an Ultra Lead just with less versatility.
Glad I didn't just dive right in.
Ultra Lead it is :)

I would imagine the power section in those amps contributes a fair amount to that signature sound?

Shinozoku said:
Yeah, there are about 3 different VHT mods out there, and Salvation's is based more on the UL, I believe.

JF: Will your current VHT mod be available on special order? It sounds like I need to take a second listen to it.
Quite possibly and it's going to be around for a few more months at least. If you had one pre-mid 2011 (when our mods became standardized and faceplates became standard) it's certainly worth a second listen.

jayd41 said:
Thanks Rob!
I was under the impression that the Deliverance was along the lines of an Ultra Lead just with less versatility.

I would imagine the power section in those amps contributes a fair amount to that signature sound?
No problem. I have been a big fan of Steve's designs for years and have a great relationship with the guys in their shop.

The power section is a huge part of the VHT signature sound and feel. They are so clean it's nearly solid state in nature and that's awesome for tight, aggressive styles.

I've got a Terrier on order from Anthony. I'll better be able to answer your question when he builds it for me and it arrives stateside.

as far as robs stuff goes, I've never heard a clip of his Fryette mod. I'd be interested to hear his take on the Sig:X. I used to have one and while it had an awesome tone, for some reason, KT88 tubes give me the most awful headache and the Fryette I had had the 2 KT88's. Needles to say, I sold the Sig:X. I remember it having a mess of switches on it. I wonder how many switches Rob can cram into the mod???

Jaded Faith said:
The Deliverance is essentially like a hot-rodded classic Marshall type of amp and not a brutal metal machine by any means.

That's what I dig about it. When I'm in the mood for a ton of gain, I get to put an OD pedal in front and each one gives it a little different personality.

I'd still trade it in towards an UltraLead in a heartbeat, though. (For its clean channel, believe it or not!)

Jaded Faith said:
jayd41 said:
Thanks Rob!

No problem. I have been a big fan of Steve's designs for years and have a great relationship with the guys in their shop.

The power section is a huge part of the VHT signature sound and feel. They are so clean it's nearly solid state in nature and that's awesome for tight, aggressive styles.

I'll be first in line for a UL-based module. That combination of huge preamp gain and a pristine power section (I run KT88s or 6550s) equals pure sonic savagery.

ooh, can't wait to see what the Sig:X mod has to offer, loved your original VHT mod and now the Pitbull, can't wait!

Jaded Faith said:
My VHT is based on a rare (but amazing model) of Pittbull called a 50/ST. The amp was one of Steve Fryette's personal favorite VHT's and it was essentially what a Marshall should sound like. It had the distinct VHT vibe, but less gain stages and saturation than most other models badged Pittbull.

Jaded Faith said:
The Deliverance is essentially like a hot-rodded classic Marshall type of amp and not a brutal metal machine by any means.

Rob, how does the Pitbull sound in comparison to the Deliverance. Above you stated that the Pitbull is based on a 50/ST, which has less gain stages and is essentially what a Marshall should sound like. You later said the Deliverance is essentially a hot-rodded Marshall and not a brutal metal machine. Just curious if the Pitbull can cop the Deliverance tone.

I played a Deliverance this weekend and thought it was amazing! It had tons of gain and was easily bringing the metal for me, but maybe it's just not that compressed modern metal tone most people look for. I was amazed how versatile and touch sensitive the knobs were. That was my first VHT experience and needless-to-say, it was a good one.

speed2dirt said:
Rob, any thoughts on the question above about the Pitbull covering the Deliverance tone?

Unfortunately, no. I haven't plugged into a Deliverance since early 2010 and even longer since I really played one. That's too long for me to really give any accurate recollection.

Jaded Faith said:
Unfortunately, no. I haven't plugged into a Deliverance since early 2010 and even longer since I really played one. That's too long for me to really give any accurate recollection.

No worries. Thanks for responding! I was just curious since you said both are lower gain and hot-rodded Marshall tones. I might have to score a Pitbull if I spot one for sale.

I am so sorry to say that but ,

You can not go anywhere with the modules ,

The best way is to buy a GP3 and power it with a RM100 or RM22 for home from the return and FIRE !

That's what I know .

:)

sweetrock said:
The best way is to buy a GP3 and power it with a RM100 or RM22 foe home from the return and FIRE !
:)

True. Even better to get a 2150.
However, a VHT module approximation might just be a nice different flavour.