Fender Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For stockers, I would probably go with the Deluxe or Tweed...ideally a Salvation TwinFace. JF also has a Plexi/Tweed. Should definitely get you where you wanna be.

I have had all of my Fender modules modded. I liked the Tweed best but it needed opening up. The stock Tweed gets nice and gritty, but just lacked something tone wise. JF stock mod on the Tweed was just right.

There's a stock Deluxe on Ebay for only $90!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-Deluxe-MTS-Module-/140779160125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c717823d#ht_500wt_1268

If you are not opposed to using a boost pedal any of them will work.

A lot of people feel like the Deluxe is "stiff". I had mine modded by VooDoo to their Twin mod. For me, the stock Deluxe was a little too bassy and it had a bit of a dead feel to it.

On the topic of Fender modules, I have always really liked the stock blackface. With a strat it is a great module. But add a pedal or three and it can do most anything. I use a old Chandler Tube Driver always on as a boost and it adds just enough for sustain without changing the tone to much. Then of course for fuzz pedals it can't be beat. Great module for pedals just like the twin sound.

Today i discovered the blackface is my favorite module i have never bothered to turn the gain almost all the way up. All this fancy stuff and a blackface is what i was looking for. For a metal tone i would just want the blackface with higher gain.

I remember sending my first Blackface back to Randall. It had hardly any power to it compared to all of the other stock module. they sent me a new one and it had the same thing going. I kept it but had it modified. The interesting thing about a real twin is that you just can't get one to distort. I can run my 1970 Twin on 10 and it is clean as can be. my ears would bleed before that sucker would distort. However with a tube screamer in front of it it is one of the warmest things around....never high gain, but really nice and warm. My SuperClean and TwinFace mod are both like that.

My tweed is like that, i have to turn up the channel volume up a lot more on it. The tweed is my other favorite stock module. Oddly my blackface is not like that, lots of output. It might be that i have active EMG that allow me to overdrive it. It doesn't overdrive much, and with a tube screamer i'm in heaven. The majority of what i play i could do with the blackface, tweed, and a good overdrive. Here i've been trying to find my tone in high gain amps all these yrs. If you back the gain down on a stock tread plate it has some crunchy goodness.

As far as stock modules, hands down, the Deluxe has the most out of the box mojo for dirty blues. Compared to the other Fender modules--not even close. I've had the Tweed, the Deluxe and the Blackface. For overdriven blues, it was no contest. Got rid of the Tweed a long time ago. Yes, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Deluxe is a bit bass heavy so, thankfully, there is knob labeled "bass." I turn it counterclockwise and this problem is magically solved. The Deluxe is a whole different animal compared to the Twin (blackface) or the Tweed (Bassman). It is thick and snarrelly and just kills SRV type tones way better than any of the other fender based modules. Strat, single coil stuff sounds great but bridge position HB dirty tones are really raw and crunchy sounding. I can't tell you how many times people have made unsolicited positive remarks about both the single coil and HB dirty tones I have been able to get from a stock Deluxe module. I have owned most of the non-signature modules as well as all of the Lynch modules and the KH-1 at one time or another. I am down to 7 modules right now, two JF's, three Lynch's, and two stockers. The Deluxe is one of my two stockers and if I had to sell all but three modules (for the three slots in my RM100LB), I would definitely keep the Deluxe. I got into MTS right before or as the Lynch stuff was coming out and the first stockers I got were the XTC, SL+, the Deluxe, the Blackface and the Tweed. I had high hopes for the Tweed but it was, I think, the first module I got rid of.

As far as popularity for the actual Fender amps for blues, the Bassman (usually w/ 4x10" cab) seems to be sort of the stereotype fender blues amp, but a lot of people seem to actually prefer the Deluxe over the Bassman. In just Googling "best blues amps" to see what comes up, at the top of the results on the first page is a poll that has the Deluxe beating the Bassman--the Deluxe comes out number one in this poll:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/the-10-best-amps-for-blues-guitar-263987/11

It's just one poll, but I thought it was interesting to see and read about all of the top rankings.

+1 On the Deluxe mod. I own every stock clean module made except for the JTM. For blues the Deluxe will get you those extra mids you are looking for. Put an OD in front and you are good to go. I have a Gigmods Twin that has a switch on it that takes it from Blackface to Deluxe tones. Best clean mod I have ever played on. For bluesy stuff, it's always in "Deluxe" mode. :D

Daryl said:
+1 On the Deluxe mod. I own every stock clean module made except for the JTM. For blues the Deluxe will get you those extra mids you are looking for. Put an OD in front and you are good to go. I have a Gigmods Twin that has a switch on it that takes it from Blackface to Deluxe tones. Best clean mod I have ever played on. For bluesy stuff, it's always in "Deluxe" mode. :D

Hey Daryl, just curious, how does that Gigmods module in Deluxe mode compare in a side by side to the actual Randall Deluxe module?

Finally got the be all end all of fender modules the Mighty JF PlexiTweed, I love the Plexi side of the mod but the fender side is absolutely killer it has that killer sweet classic blues tone and with the gain at about noon and the boost switch engaged i almost had an orgasm! thanks figg!
-mp-

Salvation Baseman - can't put into words how amazing this mod is. Definitely one of the best Anthony has made.

I got my Vibe Deluxe about 2 weeks ago and it is awesome for blues and with an OD pedal it pulls a good rockabilly sound.