H-Watt full gain vs. twinface full pushed modes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how these two mods differ from one another when full open? I am imagining they can get sort of close to each other on full gain/pushed mode....

We just built an accurate Hiwatt DR-103 MTS preamp and it's gain structure is similar to the Plexi if that helps (don't know anything about the Twinface)?

I've never played the H-watt, but I wouldn't count on the two modules being very similar. The Twinface with the gain dimed and the Mojo switch set to 'warm' is an unmistakably Fender crunch tone, while the Pushed mode sounds completely different (and bypasses the Twin/Deluxe switch) . I understand this mode is meant to sound like pushed modes on certain Mesa amps.

withmittens said:
Can anyone comment on how these two mods differ from one another when full open? I am imagining they can get sort of close to each other on full gain/pushed mode....

They are very different.
Gainwise they are comparable, but sounds very different:

Twinface has Fenderish tonestack which is placed earlier, after first gainstage, just like Fender Twin or Deluxe. so when circuit is pushed, EQ loses its sensitivity, and output volume rises.
HiWatt amps as well as H-Watt module has very different tonestack, which alters different frequencies and is placed at the end of circuit-just like Vox or Marshall. Therefore on full gain H-Watt the EQ section still works and is very sensitive.
Hiwatt tonestack is very unique, sounds very different than all common modules. It gives its own unique color which is very different from Marshall, Fender or Vox Eq, trademark of Hiwatt sound.

I hope it helps.

Anthony

it does help, thank you. all the responses help in fact.

thank you

is it possible to make the pushed mode on the twinface happen on twin and deluxe or is it a completely separate gain circuit that bypasses the twin and deluxe portions?

Can the H-Watt have additional gain added to it somehow?

And while we're at it, can the Mash-Aldano get somewhere close the the h-watt in terms of gain amount? not tone but strictly amount.

tanks again

withmittens said:
it does help, thank you. all the responses help in fact.

thank you

is it possible to make the pushed mode on the twinface happen on twin and deluxe or is it a completely separate gain circuit that bypasses the twin and deluxe portions?

And while we're at it, can the Mash-Aldano get somewhere close the the h-watt in terms of gain amount? not tone but strictly amount.

tanks again

it bypasses some sections on circuit and therefore lets more signal go thru=more saturation, more push

hmm, I think yes, but since H-Watt has EQ placed post gainstages, bypassing of it will cause relatively relative big difference in ouput volume (hiwatt tonestack is very sensitive, and since it is still passive circuits, it "eats" some output signal).

i usually preffer to use features that are in style of original amp. Bypassable tonestack can be found on some Mesas or Fenders, or on Voxes (hot/cool switch on HW series) .
But Yes, i can do it as a custom work on H-watt module on another switch.

Thank you for that info, sounds like it's not advisable to mess with a good thing, perhaps in the case of the H-Watt a pedal would do it well for boosted gain when needed, and also seemingly with the Twinface

Latest posts