Salvation Benzin....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a salvation benzin ive been listening to samples of the VH4 and absolutely loving them, A couple ?'s for any owners.... How acurate is it? Im not a patient person so is there a jaded faith module that comes close?
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
Im thinking of getting a salvation benzin ive been listening to samples of the VH4 and absolutely loving them, A couple ?'s for any owners.... How acurate is it? Im not a patient person so is there a jaded faith module that comes close?
-mp-

Awesome mod...I sold mine and regret it! In fact I just made another attempt at getting her back and was stifled...

Fig would know but I still question the ability to get the Diezel tone without the Diezel power section. I would love to try one myself and see how it sounds. I may just have to break down and get one direct from Salvation.

I thought it sucked personally....one of the worst sounding modded modules Ive ever played.....but others seem to like it....read that somone ran it through a Deizel pwer section and it was very close.....

I can't speak it in terms of having a VH4 next to it (unfortunately) but the tone was unique among my other mods and had a really cool feel...I will have another...My old Benzin had the internal mid-shift too - that gave it another identity...It was referred to as an Einstein-like mode...I never played an Einstein but it was a nice +....

alowerdeep said:
I thought it sucked personally....one of the worst sounding modded modules Ive ever played.....but others seem to like it....read that somone ran it through a Deizel pwer section and it was very close.....

Would be very interesting in this context to know about your opinion of Diezels - VH4 and Herbert in general. Did you dislike the benzin due to its inherent Diezel character or was it because you didn't think it was accurate enough?

A Diezel is a Diezel is a Diezel. If you think you are going to get that sound in a module for under $500 that's great. I'm not knocking it or saying it's wrong or bad I'm just saying. So I go to buy a new sport bike and I really want a Ducati but can only afford a Suzuki. Is it a Sport Bike? Yup. Will it get the job done? Yup. Is it fine Italian engineering? NOPE. Does it ride and handle like a Ducati? NOPE. Not being a cork sniffer just saying. The Diezel uses high end components. Caps and Resistors make a big difference as does the IRON. OT, PT and such. Look at the Soldano SLO. It's the OT and PT that really make that a big difference from the HR's and such.

I just don't think people should kid themselves that a Randall is going to sound "the same" as a Diezel. Ball park yes, 100% no. No flame suit needed as this is reality. :D

But...will the Suzuki when the race? Possibly, but it's up to the rider....just as a good player will make the Diezel modul sound amazing and people won't care if its a real Diezel or not.

Agreed. That said I would advise that if you are looking to make one replica module your MAIN module/tone, and you are trying to duplicate as close as possible...then take the time to research at least which pre and power tubes the actual amp designer installs stock. Again as stated, it won't et you 100% but closer than using the wrong tubes.

The flip side is more my mindset. I really don't give a rats *** if it measures up to the original amp if blows my mind and sounds great. Perfect example-My JF Custom Recto. Love it but it sounds nothing like a dual rectifier-thank god. I hear DR's on tape and they sound great, every one i've played through is poo poo.

Recently got a Benzin and I have to say playing my buddy's VH4 next to it the module is about 90% there minus that low end. I just add a bit more on my density on my RT2/50 and we were able to get it pretty close ABing them. Having these mods available to get that close is amazing and really defeats purpose for me to ever buy another amp over my MTS setup.

This is my same friend who had a Bogner Ecstascy and kicked himself after hearing my SG XTC LE side by side to his and amazes him everytime how close these mods are to the real thing.

I agree with Fig, it definitely has it's own unique tone unlike any other modded mod I have owned or played. I really dig Channel 3 in + mode with gain around 1:30-2, EQ to taste...killer tone to me.

Of course this is a layman talking, but since we are basically debating modded preamps it is only reasonable to compare preamps. Since a Herbert and a VH4 both have a high quality power amp you have to take that into consideration, eg by using a better poweramp.

I've read somewhere Peter Diezel him self thinks highly of VHT/now Fryette. If If I recall correctly;
The likely possibility of people combining a future Diezel preamp (people have been waiting for years) with a inferior power amp thus giving the Diezel tone a bad rep was one of the reasons for not making a Diezel preamp top priority (and of course the low demand for rack gear). I'm not saying randall amps have bad power sections but a RM4 + separate power amp would give a lot of extra possibilities to overcome these things..

That's the missing link in MTS...The power section...It's my personal belief that if I'm gonna keep all these mods around, I better have multiple setups to run...The preamp is half the equation...It's silly to run a Benzin through a solid state behringer power amp and expect Diezel to come out...

I have an RM50, RM100, a few RM4s, RT2/50, and a couple Mesas...They all run different tube configs and I try every mod in every rig, through every cab until I set it up to stay...The only way to make MTS really work close to the originals is to have options...There is no one single option that works for all...
But the RtT2/50 is the most consistent I have found...

I've compared the salvation Angel with my Engl E580 through the same power amp (VHT) and they do the high gain stuff so similar it is ridiculous. Of course the E580 (now discontinued) does everything else as well and has the best clean tones I've ever experienced, but Engl high gain could fairly accurately be obtained through an Angel mod.

However if I was to compare the Angel through a RM100 with the E580 through a VHT 2150 they would probably be quite divergent.

About the mts vs real thing, I think economy is not an argument to go modular. In the long run with hosting amps, modules, modding costs, it can easily turn out to be a far more expensive project than getting your one dream amp eg Diezel or Engl.. At least with the egnater stuff I can't see how it fits with the motorcycle simile. Bruce's work is first class IMO

Mattfig said:
The only way to make MTS really work close to the originals is to have options...There is no one single option that works for all...

I'm guessing the RT2/50 gives a pretty 'hi-fi' soundreproduction
much like many AXE-FX users use SS poweramps/powered monitors
having much of the module capture the total character of of an entire amp
Now having a mod which emulates just the preamp of say a marshal or fender, it's easy to put it in front of a EL34 or 6L6 poweramp
Having something like a Soldano, Mesa or the Diezel where there is magic happening in the powersection
it's gonna be a lot tougher to replicate it adding a poweramp coloring that sound

Nightdare said:
Mattfig said:
The only way to make MTS really work close to the originals is to have options...There is no one single option that works for all...

I'm guessing the RT2/50 gives a pretty 'hi-fi' soundreproduction
much like many AXE-FX users use SS poweramps/powered monitors
having much of the module capture the total character of of an entire amp
Now having a mod which emulates just the preamp of say a marshal or fender, it's easy to put it in front of a EL34 or 6L6 poweramp
Having something like a Soldano, Mesa or the Diezel where there is magic happening in the powersection
it's gonna be a lot tougher to replicate it adding a poweramp coloring that sound

That is true. RT2/50 is hi-fi but is the most versatile within the MTS line. MTS mods are meant to be married with a Randall/Egnater MTS amp. Then all you have to do is select the right power tubes for the module. I don't know how a SS amp would do with MTS. My guess is not good but I'm sure there are exceptions. The modules are not meant to capture the tone of the amp itself, otherwise we'd all use RM4s direct into consoles. :) Which would be cool though. They need a good power amp and that can make all the difference.

I'm not going to talk about Benzin module, but with the discussion turning around power amp section, I think I can speak about a recent experience.

With the birth of my son, I've had to change my setup last month. No more power amp and cab at home. I was looking for a solution to play at home, using only headphones, but without sacrifying the quality of MTS modded modules.
So I bought a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B.
It's a fantastic piece of gear, an IR loader that includes power amp simulation. The tubes simulated are EL84, EL34, 6L6, KT88. They can all be played in class A or class A/B, in triode or pentode. The power amp section has level, presence, depth controls.

I found this gear really cool to use with MTS gear in a home studio or live context. There are big differences between all those tubes. So you can assign a preset using an EL34 power amp sim with a Marshall based module, a 6L6 power amp sim preset with a Mesa based module....

Is there anyone here that uses Two Notes gear?

Not yet, but I plan on picking up the torpedo for a similar application. I cant play loud due to noise ordnance. Getting one of these to load my amp > 2note cab sim> AI > pc. With some of the demos out there this thing sounds good, good enough to hold me over for the time being.

bhuard75 said:
Not yet, but I plan on picking up the torpedo for a similar application. I cant play loud due to noise ordnance. Getting one of these to load my amp > 2note cab sim> AI > pc. With some of the demos out there this thing sounds good, good enough to hold me over for the time being.
I bought the C.A.B. because I didn't need a loadbox, and I put it in the FX loop of my RM4, and yes, it sounds very good.

stormrider66 said:
I'm not going to talk about Benzin module, but with the discussion turning around power amp section, I think I can speak about a recent experience.

With the birth of my son, I've had to change my setup last month. No more power amp and cab at home. I was looking for a solution to play at home, using only headphones, but without sacrifying the quality of MTS modded modules.
It's a fantastic piece of gear, an IR loader that includes power amp simulation. The tubes simulated are EL84, EL34, 6L6, KT88. They can all be played in class A or class A/B, in triode or pentode. The power amp section has level, presence, depth controls.

I found this gear really cool to use with MTS gear in a home studio or live context. There are big differences between all those tubes. So you can assign a preset using an EL34 power amp sim with a Marshall based module, a 6L6 power amp sim preset with a Mesa based module....

That sounds really interesting. How do you hook up the MTS head to the C.A.B.? Does the unit go into the speaker output, then headphones into the unit?

The Rossness said:
stormrider66 said:

That sounds really interesting. How do you hook up the MTS head to the C.A.B.? Does the unit go into the speaker output, then headphones into the unit?

Any head with a power amp will need a load box too...The C.A.B. totally sounds cool for use with an RM4 though...

FWIW, I think Palmer speaker sims can handle a load...

Latest posts