GP1000 mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGod87

Reaction score
Anyone trying to design a Lee Jackson GP 1000 module?

My old guitar player had one and I thought it sounded great. Where my Dual Rec had a bunch of fuzz and low end I thought the preamp made up for with it's smooth yet punchy gain.

I'm not familiar with that rack pre, but I did have a trio of the Ampeg VL series amps in the shop around Christmas for service and some minor improvements. Are the tones supposed to be similar to those amps? I personally wasn't the biggest fan of them. They were quite grating and piercing to my ears. I had to be cautious with the tone stack settings and speakers I paired them with, but they were still cool for what they were.

I believe the preamp is closely related to the VL-series. I spend last week with a VL-1002 and got a bunch of good sounds out of it. The tone stack in the higher gain channel is quite efficient. But you would need two Gain pots plus the mid frequency shift.
The tone basically is hot rodded JCM, I would say. No urgent need, I would say although I like the amp.

I used to own an Ampeg VL-1002 as well, I only dug the high gain channel on it and it did remind me of a hot rodded JCM as well... I miss that amp :(

I've owned both the VL and GP amps over the years, though never simultaneously. They're the very definition of the '80s hair-metal sound, and quite similar tonally.

Note that the LJ-designed Ampegs tend not to be as durable as the Metaltronix/Perfect Connection gear, due most likely to cost cutting by then-corporate parent St. Louis Music.

Factoid: My VL503 came from the factory with a pair of the highly regarded GE 6550 power tubes.

Latest posts