Recommend a Module for this tone...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmoBdl-L0N8

I have always been a fan of the dude from Lit's tone. Has a really cool grind to it. I have seen articles stating he used Marshall JMPs with a Boss SD-1 in front to push it.

Curious what modules people think get in this ball park.

Interesting. I hear pretty much what you described as a JMP with boost in front!

A few different modded Marshall modules out there have the JMP/JCM switch on them. I would go with one of them. Either the 59RR or the Mashall+. If you can find it, I hear that the MK22 from SG is killer also. I just haven't been able to track one down.

I think I could get near that with the SG MK22 with the boost function engaged.

The 59RR has been on my radar. Perhaps if the XTC I recently got doesn't work out I will trade or sell it towards a 59RR.

Thanks guys!

nitrus Keep the XTC cuz on the red channel with the structure on the XTC makes a great pair with the 59rr.. use the 59rr for rythym and then hit the xtc for leads... my xtc has a mid sweep so it has a little more mojo than your average xtc and the tone is just super smooth, I throw in a little reverb with it too...
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
nitrus Keep the XTC cuz on the red channel with the structure on the XTC makes a great pair with the 59rr.. use the 59rr for rythym and then hit the xtc for leads... my xtc has a mid sweep so it has a little more mojo than your average xtc and the tone is just super smooth, I throw in a little reverb with it too...
-mp-

Thanks for the tip. The XTC I have also has the mid sweep.

man, I sure wish I could find an mk22--- I keep hearing great things about it !

I totally disagree lol! I hated the Mashall + and loved my old RR1959 Platinum (havent tried the standard) Mashall doesnt sound or feel like any Marshall I've ever owned unless you use the JVM settings.

I'd say the answer is stock brahma + SD-1 (good brahma with right values that is.. so prob black face plate)

rblyn said:
I totally disagree lol! I hated the Mashall + and loved my old RR1959 Platinum (havent tried the standard) Mashall doesnt sound or feel like any Marshall I've ever owned unless you use the JVM settings.
And I fully disagree with you again haha, the Mash-all is bang on for me.

For this tone.. it doesn't sound stock Marshall to me, more towards a modded one or even Soldanoish?

m0jo said:
For this tone.. it doesn't sound stock Marshall to me, more towards a modded one or even Soldanoish?

It's a stock two input JMP with an Boss pedal in front. I used to work with a singer that toured and was managed by the same management company, so I ran into those guys from time to time.

To me, it's the signature Les Paul>Boss OD>JMP tone. It's as easy to get as plugging in your guitar and turning on the amp.

I've never played through a Mash All or 1959RR but it's pretty easy to get that tone with an SG MK22, as long as you're using Les Paul with Burstbuckers or a Classic 57+.

Mike P said:
m0jo said:

It's a stock two input JMP with an Boss pedal in front. I used to work with a singer that toured and was managed by the same management company, so I ran into those guys from time to time.

To me, it's the signature Les Paul>Boss OD>JMP tone. It's as easy to get as plugging in your guitar and turning on the amp.

I've never played through a Mash All or 1959RR but it's pretty easy to get that tone with an SG MK22, as long as you're using Les Paul with Burstbuckers or a Classic 57+.
Hm, it seems I need more experience with Les Pauls.. thanks for the info.

m0jo said:

I own sixteen guitars and basses. It's not because I'm a collector, it's because each instrument offers a different tone that's suitable for specific styles of music.

I'll never forget the first time I plugged Les Paul into Marshall JMP when I was 12 years old (I had a Univox amp and a '64 Epiphone Coronet at the time) because it was such a revelation: That's how to get that sound!

If you're interested, this is a ridiculously good value for a Les Paul. Stock Gibson Classic '57's and Grover locking tuners:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-tribute-plus-electric-guitar?tandt_rdir=1&nN=true

Mike P said:
m0jo said:

I own sixteen guitars and basses. It's not because I'm a collector, it's because each instrument offers a different tone that's suitable for specific styles of music.

I'll never forget the first time I plugged Les Paul into Marshall JMP when I was 12 years old (I had a Univox amp and a '64 Epiphone Coronet at the time) because it was such a revelation: That's how to get that sound!

If you're interested, this is a ridiculously good value for a Les Paul. Stock Gibson Classic '57's and Grover locking tuners:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-tribute-plus-electric-guitar?tandt_rdir=1&nN=true
Thanks for the tip, I own 6 of which 3 Ibanez S shape, mostly because they feel so nice to me. ;) I have a Yamaha AES, which Les Paul-ish but not really..
Never been a fan of Epi's though.. especially not after having an Iba Prestige ;) Buying a lower quality guitar than something you have is not such a good idea IMO.

m0jo said:
Thanks for the tip, I own 6 of which 3 Ibanez S shape, mostly because they feel so nice to me. ;) I have a Yamaha AES, which Les Paul-ish but not really..

Choice of wood makes all the difference. Mahogany/Maple has its own characteristics that can't be duplicated by a basswood, ash or alder.

For example, I built a Warmoth Floyd Rose strat with Duncan JB/Jazz pickups back in 2011. Not only can I not use my regular gauge strings (10-52), the guitar sounds super muddy tuned down. It loses all definition in the bottom end and becomes "mushy" to my ears. It does sound amazing in standard tuning with 10-46's but that means that I can't use it for certain genres and tunings.

I also own five basses that are, for the most part, very different as well. A Musicman Stingray 5, '62 reissue Jazz Bass, '51 reissue P bass, a Fender fretless Jazz and a recently purchased Jack Casady semi-hollow body bass. Each bass sounds great on its own (I've changed the pickups in all of the Fenders, had new bone nuts cut and replaced the bridges) but they all sit differently in tracks. Instead of EQing, messing with mic positions, blah, blah blah, I just choose the bass that I believe will sound "right" for the music.

Also, come mixing time, it's generally a breeze because the "right" guitar and "right" bass has been recorded, making it fairly effortless to get a great sounding and balanced mix.

m0jo said:
Never been a fan of Epi's though.. especially not after having an Iba Prestige ;) Buying a lower quality guitar than something you have is not such a good idea IMO.

Epiphones are not "lower quality" than any of the Ibanez, ESP or similarly priced guitars. My experience is that they're much higher quality in terms of wood, pickups, fret dress and hardware.

Too many people associate "sound" with "cost". A "good" guitar shouldn't cost $2,000-$5,000. If you're paying that kind of money, all you're doing is contributing to someone's health insurance and pension plan. 90% of the guitars manufactured by Gibson and Fender USA aren't built by expert luthiers: They're built by robots.

There's an automated process for cutting the bodies, cutting the necks, dressing the frets and so on, in addition to solder essentially being a thing of the past due to Molex wiring.

Granted, nearly every non-Floyd Rose guitar needs a setup when purchased, whether it's a new bone nut (I can't stand corian or plastic), a neck adjustment and so on. But that shouldn't be a hindrance when purchasing a new guitar. For example, I had a friend bring over a brand new Gibson 335 just last week that played absolutely horribly. The height of the strings at the nut was more 2mm! All of my guitars are somewhere between .6-.7mm.

The guy just spent nearly $3k on a Gibson and it still needs to go to a tech. That, to me, is very sad.

I went to a music store a few weeks ago and played five different Gibsons: a Les Paul Traditional, a Les Paul Classic, one of those goldtop Les Paul Tributes, a '61 SG reissue, and an SG Custom reissue. All of these were obviously of modern vintage. Not a single one of them exceeded the quality of my Edwards Les Paul copy, which I got shipped from Japan for $840 or so. In fact, the one that I felt acquitted itself the best was the $700 Tribute. Gibson has been coasting for years.

On the other hand, a friend of mine just picked up a well-used 1970 Les Paul Deluxe that had been "Standardized". Now THAT is a guitar.

Whoopysnorp said:
I went to a music store a few weeks ago and played five different Gibsons: a Les Paul Traditional, a Les Paul Classic, one of those goldtop Les Paul Tributes, a '61 SG reissue, and an SG Custom reissue. All of these were obviously of modern vintage. Not a single one of them exceeded the quality of my Edwards Les Paul copy, which I got shipped from Japan for $840 or so. In fact, the one that I felt acquitted itself the best was the $700 Tribute. Gibson has been coasting for years.

Gibson has had a weird history. The guitars made in the 50's to late 60's were some of the finest guitars ever made (although there were many stinkers created during that time as well). Most of their guitars manufactured from about 1972-1989 were not very good, IMO. They didn't care about the wood, which resulted in super heavy bodies that weren't dried properly and were essentially "water logs".

They were on the brink of disaster in the mid-80's and if it weren't for Slash and Henry Juszkiewicz, they'd have gone under. Once he took over, they began to streamline their operations and began building nice guitars.

Personally, they lost me once their pricing became exorbitant and they began the process of "swiss-cheesing" their Les Paul's, along with too much automation. The Japanese Epiphone plant that was responsible for the Elitist series was producing superior guitars at the time (for a third the price), so they eventually shut down that division and moved their operations to China.

It's taken a while for the Chinese Epiphone's to "catch up" but they're mass producing excellent guitars that are every bit as good as those made in Nashville, for a fraction of the price. Or in other words, they cost as much as guitars should cost.

Whoopysnorp said:
On the other hand, a friend of mine just picked up a well-used 1970 Les Paul Deluxe that had been "Standardized". Now THAT is a guitar.

My first Les Paul was a 1968 Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe that cost $300 dollars. The previous owner had routed the bridge and loaded it with a Dimarzio Distortion pickup and Schaller tuners. It was a great sounding guitar but I sold it a few years later in favor of a Jackson.

Pretty smart. :(

On a side note, the mini-humbuckers came about because Gibson had too many "New York" pickups lying around from their Epiphone models. Unfortunately, they didn't sound very good in a mahogany/maple Les Paul along with the nasty noise of pickup feedback and squealing, which is why virtually everyone that played rock music replaced the bridge pickup with a standard sized humbucker.