Worst modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
We've talked about all the good modules from times to times. What are some of the modules that you guys have used that did not work for you?
I do not like the Clean, very lifeless, sterile clean sound, lacking bite. The Ultra and Recto distortion are just too buzzy to my ears, with the Ultra lacking definition in the mids.
Which ones do you consider a lemon? :cry:
T.

Modern...flat sounding, lifeless

Clean..was OK but sterile

SL+...couldn't get on with that both pre and post cap/resistor mods....the Plexi 0wned it

Funny...the Ultra is my favourite module right now..but that's just all out gain, chug chug chug ;)

Ultra-Just too noisy no matter what. Tube changes, running gain lower you name it.
Clean-Bland, Boring.

Not really a "lemon":
Brown-On the fence, I hardly ever use it but haven't decided to part with it yet. It's got like one cool tone, that mid gain burning sustain sorta thang. In the right context it's very cool. I just seldomly find myself needing that sound.

I know I'll catch flames for this but, the Plexi! My Egnater SL slays one end and the SL+/1086 slays the other. Maybe I just need to try that one out more? It just sounds like no oomph and all glass to me so far.

I didn't like the top boost module at all (for a mid gain setting) before and after modding. I like the deluxe much better with an OD.

NuSkoolTone said:
Ultra-Just too noisy no matter what. Tube changes, running gain lower you name it.
Clean-Bland, Boring.

Not really a "lemon":
Brown-On the fence, I hardly ever use it but haven't decided to part with it yet. It's got like one cool tone, that mid gain burning sustain sorta thang. In the right context it's very cool. I just seldomly find myself needing that sound.

I agree with you on all here, except I'm digging the Brown. When I tried it out at the store, it did little for me. But you're absolutely right, it does have that nice mid gain with lots of sustain and harmonics (good ears!), which, oddly enough, is more like late 80's George Lynch lead tone than Van Halen. have to really blast the low end to get a nice chug on the bottom. That's my beef about the Brown, lack of tight define lows.
Tung

It looks like Clean is a contender for a lemon, nobody seem to like it as a clean mod.
SL+ is a peculiar one. Some really like it after the cap mod and some totally hate it.
Tung

Tried the Clean, but agree with just about everyone, too lifeless and stale. It's almost like an audiophile type of pre, almost sounded like a digital modeler now that I think about it.

Have the Recto (black stripe) and actually like it more for cleans than high gain. Liked it quite a bit for cleans actually. Tried a few different tubes, but the Recto sound just isn't my thing. Will trade for Plexi as soon as I can (if store still has it).

Played at the store:

Vox - I didn't like the mid-gain tone very much, but I think if I did the mod and gave it a good bit of clean headroom, I would probably change my mind (for cleans anyway).

1086 - (I know I'll catch a beatin' for this) - I just didn't like it. Was not impressed at all. In it's defence, I did only spend about 15 minutes with it.

SL+ - This one was 'ok', but I much prefer the Plexi's tone. I figure a good clean boost in front of the Plexi will fire that bad boy up AND get a better tone.

Brown - Also not liking it much, not bad, just not my bag.

Thomas

i love the 1086 it has great distortion. don;t loke the ultra at all really, its too noisy and the mids are voiced to low. recto is allright but i think i'd like to get a grail for that recto heaviness. xtc rips pretty good as well especially for leads. i think the 1086 is by far the best for metal , it'll go super heavy but with good definition and clarity.

My vote for the worst modules would have been the 'Recto' for being the worst named module for what sort of tone you should expect...but then I thought about it more and I think I'd like to change my vote...

My vote goes for the Super V and the Brahma modules because of the ignorant lead times and delays in getting them to the public.
I don't think I even want them after the hassle that they have become...
As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering dropping all of my Randall gear and just using my Egnater stuff 100% since Randall can't seem to figure out how to have any sort of reasonable customer relations.
Jeez, what a disappointment.

Hey Jim,

Allow me to claim first dibs on your 1086, grail, and Ultra XL modules if you do decide to abandon ship on all your randall stuff

jimosity said:
My vote goes for the Super V and the Brahma modules because of the ignorant lead times and delays in getting them to the public.
As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering dropping all of my Randall gear and just using my Egnater stuff 100% since Randall can't seem to figure out how to have any sort of reasonable customer relations.

I understand your frustrations, Jim. I'm waiting for them to replace a bad tube for almost 5 months now, not to mention a bunch of other stuff.
A customer like you too, who has done so much for the MTS line.

jimosity wrote:

I hear ya bro... Randall has just dropped the ball and are barely in the game.

As I said if it was not for George Lynch and Bruce Egnater this Randall stuff would be sitting at the shop and I would have all my cash back and have moved on to something else by now.
You know Steven Baldwin told me that I should get one mod free... the Super V in specific... however he wanted me to request that from the dealer... **** that... they have been bullshitting the dealers too. Hear is how I got it figured... Tung cannot even get a tube replaced... WTF is up with that. So what are the chances of me getting a free mod. Its all just more lip service.

My most recent action has been... I prepayed for the amp, cab and mods six months ago (!!!) and I just pulled all the mod money for the remaining three mods owing... Mr.Scary, Super V, Brahma. When the mods do eventually arrive ( and according to RD/MAN thats gonna be sometime in the future??? ) I'm gonna renegotiate the price and if Mr. Baldwin will not give me the compensation I am seeking then it all goes back to the dealer and I'm gonna be one fucking pissed off Randall customer and Rudy Schlacher will hear all about it from me. Then I'm gonna go and see Egnater for some all tube modular gear. Everyone seems to be happy with the Egnater stuff anyways.

I know several and I mean several ppl who are sitting back watching this whole Randall MTS fiasco unfold. They are the smart ones... holding off on spending till Randall gets thier **** together... after the smoke clears and randall has pissed everyone off they are the ones that will get great deals on the randall ****. I do not begrudge them I wish I had the forsight and was one of them.

To add to the frustration... these are really great amps and mods so far. But Randall has messed up the cabs with speaker issues, wiring problems... the heads and cabs with poor tolex application, and the mods... THE MODS. I see more empty MTS heads than anything else. What a mess this has become and still no mods and I get the feeling it's gonna be that way for a while. RD/MAN has not indicated that the latest run of mods are good yet so I will not be surprised if we hear more excuses... and after all the dust settles on the mods there will be a tolex issue to deal with... I don't see this being any diferent than our current issues.

Tung... what have they said about the replacement tube? Has the dealer offered to relace it for you? **** bro I'll fucking replace it for you... LOL

One thing is for sure guys... Randall does not desire persistant lingering negative feedback... bottom line is it hurts sales... now I am not malicous enough to want to attack Randall and hurt thier business thats not my motivater here... just imagine if we kept our mouths shut and even more ppl owned this problem. Negative feedback is as important as positive feedback when it come to the business end. I know that Randall understands that. I do feel that Randall is feeling the crunch to resolve thier current issues because they are smart enough to know that lingering issues are DEADLY. Therefore I will continue to sound off until resolve is met. However if more excuses come from this most current production of mods then I will be pissed off and pulled out.

OK I'm likley making more than Randall's ppl tired of listening to me... so this concludes my Monday morning rant... LOL

Khing

khingpynn said:
jimosity wrote:

Tung... what have they said about the replacement tube? Has the dealer offered to relace it for you? s*&t bro I'll f&*king replace it for you... LOL

Khing

Craig,
I talked to Steve Baldwin and my dealer. I'm supposed to get a new tube and amp covers for my half stack. Both are nowhere to be seen. No modules coming in so I can actually buy them.
I have a lot of patience for this. But like the rest of us who are waiting, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere.
There's a Tubestore 15 min away from my house. I can go there and buy literally any tube I want. But it's the principle ! Randall is responsible for my bad tube and they're not doing **** about it .
I still want to give Randall a chance, because i do love the MTS stuff, we'll see.
Tung

Latest posts