Twinface

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
You don't read much about the Twinface these days but she's a mod I just got back into my stable and it just proves the genius of Anthony's work...I put it next to the Baseman module expecting very similar results (and yes, of course you can dial them close if you try) but when you let them breathe, they just sound sonically different and the most amazing stereo clean I have ever played...I still love my Superclean (utility knife of all clean) but between the Baseman and Twinface I don't want for clean tone...I'm a Fender clean guy and these two just make me smile..

Plus, with a lot of gain, mojo and pushed mode- you can do some pretty convincing hard rock tones with no pedals needed...My first Twinface had the internal switch so I didn't toy with it too much...I think "mojo" is that same one but I may be mistaken...Either way, having it so accessible makes this a mod that can sound good across all fronts with the exception of metal....

Beautiful mod...

Yeah Im gonna be looking for another clean module for my 2nd Rm4 when it arrives.. Im thinking Texas Special but i might consider a salvation module..
-MP-

Just to be clear...I still have and use my Superclean and love it...This isn't a JF vs. Salvation thing...

The Twinface and Baseman just really capture all the clean and mid tones I have wanted from Fender amps...They are both near perfect replicas of the amps and anyone who saw my Baseman video saw and heard the comparison with the "real" Fender vs Baseman...PLUS, the mods nail the core tones of the amps even when overdriven by their power section...When I blast the Fender Bassman at 8 or 9 it sounds very, very close like my Salvation Baseman in pushed mode (which can be much lower volume)...

I just thought I'd revive discussion of this mod as it is an often overlooked gem. The Twinface is simply amazing in versatility and tone. During my mad mod flipping days I already knew selling this one was dumb...Now I'm a little more experienced with this stuff, she stays.

Ive listened to the clips of all of the salvation clean mods and like them alot, Ive got a superclean in my current RM4 and Ive got a Vybe Deluxe coming today or tomorrow so i might just use the vybe as my 2nd clean although i really want it for semi dirty blues. So if i get another clean or semi clean its probably gonna be a voxless or a texas special.. not a salvation vs jaded faith thing its just that those two modules seem to be getting alot of good reviews.
-mp-

Yepper...The clean options of MTS are often overlooked by folks assuming Randall = metal ... I dig that the modders make cleans and mid gainers that are so crazy good...Just proves that those "in the know" can get anything out of MTS...

I borrowed Drew's Twinface for a while and loved it. I wasn't crazy about the Deluxe or Pushed modes, but Twin with Mojo engaged was where it was at for me. Spot-on Fender cleans with the gain on 3, and really nice vintage crunch with the gain dimed.

I haven't had the chance to A/B them, but based on my memories of the Twinface, the Voodoo Twin is a good poor man's version of it. Its only options other than the standard controls is an internal gain trim pot, but the tone range available is similar to the settings I liked best on the Twinface.

zepplin490 said:
OOOO I forgot about the voodoo mods.. whats the link to their mod list for mts modules?
-Matt Page-

Trace is good peeps.

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AMPMODIFICATIONS/RandallMods/tabid/844/Default.aspx

Mattfig said:
The Twinface and Baseman just really capture all the clean and mid tones I have wanted from Fender amps...They are both near perfect replicas of the amps and anyone who saw my Baseman video saw and heard the comparison with the "real" Fender vs Baseman...PLUS, the mods nail the core tones of the amps even when overdriven by their power section....

Matt, or anyone else, have you ever done a side by side of the Twinface in DLX mode with a Deluxe module? I really love the bone stock Deluxe module for warm, fat, vintage fender tones. I'm wondering how close the DLX mode is to the actual module.

Caine said:
Mattfig said:
The Twinface and Baseman just really capture all the clean and mid tones I have wanted from Fender amps...They are both near perfect replicas of the amps and anyone who saw my Baseman video saw and heard the comparison with the "real" Fender vs Baseman...PLUS, the mods nail the core tones of the amps even when overdriven by their power section....

Matt, or anyone else, have you ever did a side by side of the Twinface in DLX mode with a Deluxe module? I really love the bone stock Deluxe module for warm, fat, vintage fender tones. I'm wondering how close the DLX mode is to the actual module.

FOr a nice round clean tone I love the DLX Stock mod?.Trust me when I say that you will still have that and so much more?.It will not lose anything, only gain a lot!

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
The JF TWOX in Tweed mode is my favorite MTS clean ever!
I've tried all of the others listed here and even had Rob make
me some custom Tweeds over the years. I don't know what
he did different here, but it rules.

Also the JF Silverado does an AMAZING Marshall clean tone!
But this one does it all. Low gain, mid gain up to about JCM800 gain.
Very different Marshall flavor than the others, but just bad ***!

JF Voxless has the same versatility but in the Vox/Matchless tone zone.

Mattfig said:
FOr a nice round clean tone I love the DLX Stock mod?.Trust me when I say that you will still have that and so much more?.It will not lose anything, only gain a lot!

Okay, thanks Matt!