malcom and 1987 modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I picked up an rm50 combo on fleabay for $575 and it came with two modules: a Scott Iam Malcom and a 1987. Does anyone have any info on these modules? Since they were kind of a freebie with the amp I was thinking about using them for donors. Would a base mod do anything for them? the Malcom is clean the the 1987 is high gain. Bth are OK, but need a little something...but what?
thanks in advance

Quite honestly, I'd use them as donors...I didn't mind either module too much but when they are next to any good modded ones, they aren't in the same league...Those mods are one trick ponies that happen to do have mastered a boring trick...If you love that trick, a base mod could help but, for the $$$, I say donors...

ricky said:
So what are these modules based on? Who is Malcom and what does 1987 mean?

The Malcolm is supposed to be like a JTM Malcolm Young type sound. The 1987 is a JCM800.

The Malcom is Scott's clean channel, which is suppose to be based around Malcom Young's sound.

The 1987 is suppose to be based on Scott's modded JCM800 that's he used on all the old records, particularly Among the Living in 1987. For the record, they used it on Anthrax's latest release Worship Music as well, along with a Fryette Deliverance. Also worth noting, Scott always has a tube screamer on. That mod comes to life when you boost it with a pedal.

I've been curious how much difference a base mod would make to a 1987 since it's already pretty good stock. I think Dave did a good job nailing the specific tone Scott was looking for.

speed2dirt said:
The Malcom is Scott's clean channel, which is suppose to be based around Malcom Young's sound.

The 1987 is suppose to be based on Scott's modded JCM800 that's he used on all the old records, particularly Among the Living in 1987. For the record, they used it on Anthrax's latest release Worship Music as well, along with a Fryette Deliverance. Also worth noting, Scott always has a tube screamer on. That mod comes to life when you boost it with a pedal.

I've been curious how much difference a base mod would make to a 1987 since it's already pretty good stock. I think Dave did a good job nailing the specific tone Scott was looking for.

Perfect descriptions of both mods...Ive had both- The Malcom was kind of bleh....kinda dark and I could cop the tones using a number of my other mods on low gain or backing off the volume knob on my guitars. I dont use any clean mods anyway so my opinion may be a bit biased..The 1987 is a totally different story though and is a very good stocker- Very similar the the Judge but not as smooth (JCM as opposed to Plexi) and as speed mentioned in his post it takes a boost very well.... Friedman designed both the 1987 and the Judge and the boards looked to be pretty close. I could kind of dial them in similar so I wound up selling the 1987 (wish I hadnt though) Also, the 1987 does better at mid gain type tones...doesnt thin out like the Judge does with the gain at noon or less... I personally would not mod either one as the signature mods are getting really hard to find. There's still plenty of other donors out there- At least keep the 1987 stock if you can ... or maybe get boost or mid switch added by Rob to give it a bit more versatility. :D

1987 is my favourite JCM stock module. The voicing is spot on for me. I often use a clean boost to take it to real high gain mode.