My 2 cents on the Rectified and 1086 modules...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guittarzzan

Reaction score
I've had the Rectified and 1086 modules now for a few days and wanted to give my 2 cents on them in case anyone cares:

Rectified: Out of the box=crap in terms of high gain. It was loose, tubby and not a quick, percussive high gain tone that I would consider useable. (especially for recording)
After putting in the .001 cap= nice, very useable high gain up to about 6.5 on the gain level. After that it becomes more of a wall of noise. Haven't recorded yet with it, but it has the right amount of gain to sound great with double tracked gtrs etc.

1086: Holy crap!! In terms of high gain modules that need no mods out of the box, this is the best one I've heard. The mid voice switch brings the tone right in your face where I like it. This module is worth twice it's price imo. You can get a beautiful, 3d, thick high gain tone and it stays tight and punchy. For me, about 6.5 on the gain sounds perfect. I can't wait to see how this thing blends with my Engl pre or the Recti module in a recording. If you want high gain that sounds great right out of the box, this one is the best I've heard yet from Randall. The Egnater Sl2 module is the best one I've heard for the marshall thang.

I was checking these modules out with a PRS CE24 and using the Randall Rt2/50 power amp with el34's and KT88's into a Mesa 2x12 cab up off the floor. If you use EMG's with the 1086, you'll probably have the most aggressive metal sound you could ever want...without a pedal.

...now if only my 2nd M4 would get here so I can have 'em all hooked up at once.
cheers

My mods: Egnater dual channels: twin, bassman, sl2, eg3/4, vox
Randall: 1086, rectified and xtc

I bought the 1086 about a week ago myself based on all the opinions here. I expected it to be pretty good based on you guys here and man were you guys right. This thing does kick ***.

thanks for the review. I'm planning to get the 1086, the Recto sounded like crap when I tried it out, through a Lynch Box and the rM100. But I'm having high hopes for the 1086.
What do you like the most about the gain on the 1086?
T.

tung said:
What do you like the most about the gain on the 1086?
T.

Mostly that this one lives up to the hype. There's so much marketing and hype surrounding new products that it's easy to be disappointed when we actually get the new product back home. I don't like the band Disturbed and don't know crap about what his tone is like, but I do know that the 1086 module produces a great modern hard rock/metal tones that stay tight and punchy as long as you use a little restraing on how much gain you use. I haven't found a high gain module or high gain amp head that doesn't go to crap when you crank the gain past about the 3 oclock position. The 1086 cleans up very well too and can produce some nice semi-breakup tones; although I don't know why someone would buy this module and not use it for wrecking havoc.
I DID have the Egnater, dual-channel E-rect, but quickly sent it back. It was some time ago and I hadn't heard about the mods yet so I just sent it back not knowing it could probably be modded to tighten it up. Since I'm mainly interested in just getting one useable Mesa-ish tone for use in recording to combine with other tracks, I'm happy with just the Randall Recti with the .001 in it. I'm sure BE could easily send you a modded dual channel Erect if you tell him you want a tighter low end, faster attack etc.
If you're wanting ultra high gain, I'd say the 1086 will easily get a heavier distortion than the Rectified before becoming mud. Yes, I mean even with the .001 in the Rectified, the 1086 is still heavier and just as articulate.

cheers.

I should qualify my not liking Disturbed. I bought a cd of theirs a few years ago, gave it a once-through listen and it just sounded like *** to me. I like heavy if there's a singer who can actually sing, (like Alice in Chains), and if the songs actually have a groove or hook. I didn't think that band had either. I'm just an old, burnt out butt rocker though wondering why it's not cool to wear my zebra striped spandex pants to the movie theater anymore :D

I'm not a fan of Disturbed either but I'm starting to be impressed with their singer -- on the latest album and tour, I found that he's sounding a lot like Geoff Tate from Queensryche. Or I'm at least getting the same vibe from him.

I really like the Believe disc...better than the original, less nu-metal, more song oriented IMO :D

I really like disturbed :oops:
Surprisingly, i have never been curious enough to try out the 1086. I think it's one of those guitar tones that works real well for dan, but i doubt i would get along with, by some reason...

guittarzzan said:
I'm just an old, burnt out butt rocker though wondering why it's not cool to wear my zebra striped spandex pants to the movie theater anymore :D
Awesome quote ,bro :lol: Who says it's not cool to strut with your zebra spandex? With the rM100 tone behind you, you'll get away with anything :wink:
Disturbed: ok metal band, I've taught some songs of theirs at my student's requests.
I'm a jazz guy with many rock influences. I prefer guys like George Lynch, Steve Lukather and Rafael Moreira. Always on the lookout for cool gain tones though.
T.

The 1086 is such a versatile module - probably my favorite module to date. Great high gain and even has a nice clean tone as well.

As far as Disturbed goes - they're one of my favorite bands - Dan Donegan is a great guitarist who comes up with some sick riffs, hooks and melodies. I love all 3 of their albums. Check out their song Stricken for the singer David's vocal range he can achieve - very melodic - great song.

I'm going to buck the system and say I like the Recto more than the 1086.

That being said, I have spent a few weeks with the Recto, but only an hour or so (spread over a few sessions) on the 1086. I also did not like the Recto out of the box and for the same main reason as you : too muddy in the low end (C3=470). It took me a few days of concentrated effort and tweaking like mad on the module's EQ and the GE-7 to get the Recto to sound good, really good in fact. And it still has room for improvement.

So who knows, maybe if I spent the same amount of time/effort with the 1086 I would eventually like it more than the Recto.

Thomas

I wonder if it's possible to have the dual channel ERECT set up with one channel tight and the other loose? That would be more like a Rectifier offers anyway. Anybody know if it's possible?

axecellent wrote:
It took me a few days of concentrated effort and tweaking like mad on the module's EQ and the GE-7 to get the Recto to sound good, really good in fact.

Would you be willing to share those GE-7 and module eq settings with us ???

Iconoclysm wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to have the dual channel ERECT set up with one channel tight and the other loose? That would be more like a Rectifier offers anyway. Anybody know if it's possible?

Since the Egnater's lineup now offers modules (like Twin/Deluxe) with 2 different voicings, i guess it's very possible if you have sufficient knowledge of what's going on circuit wise. You could then figure out the circuit paths and swicthing circuitry on your module and modify it to your hearts content.

Otherwise i think that Bruce could modify your mod or custom build one for you !

Yeah, I'm going to attempt a custom built one - I'm ordering the ERECT tomorrow or Tuesday.

How do I go about requesting a custom one? Still through Indoor Storm?

I think if you want a custom buit module it would be better to call Egnaters office and talk directly to either Bruce or Frank.

Click on this for their e-mail adress and phone number http://www.amplounge.com/

the 1086 rulez hands down and if your thinking of buying this amp the 1086 is worth the price of admission in its own. it is the best new original distortion i've heard in a long time and delivers on all the hype from a somewhat clean tone to heavy as hell distortion this mod rulez in everyway. i couldn't be more impressed or happier with mine. as for the recto it does somewhat suck. i can be improved upon though as can any amp or module i guess. to me it has a lot of tubby bass even when set moderatly and has alot of high end sizzle which can seem to get out of control and it also carries a hollow tone that i just don't like very much. i guess it does sound somewhat like a mesa rectifier maybe but for the real deal mesa tone the lynch grail mod seems the way to go. if you put a mesa spax7 tube in v-1 and a jj 83s in v-2 in the recto module it does sound pretty good and whole lot closer the the real recto it emulates.www.myspace.com/bandxero
  • rm100, avatar 4x12 t-100's jackson king v,1086, recto, ultra mods, boss ns-2

Strato62,

I can't remember every setting 'exactly', but here is what I remember (at work). Also keep in mind that my Recto has C3 = 470.

Guitar : bridge pick-ups, volume = max, tone = max -->

GE-7 *: 100Hz = ~ -4dB, 800Hz ~ +12dB, 1.6kHz ~ +10dB -->

Recto : Gain = 8-9 o'clock, Low = ~ 1-3 o'clock **, Mid = ~ 3 o'clock-max **, High = ~ 2 o'clock -->

PEQ-3B (serial loop) - 80Hz HP filter engaged, Low has about +4dB around 100Hz with a slightly higher *** Q setting, Mid has about -10db around 1.2kHz with a mid-line Q setting, High has about +9dB around 2.5kHz with a lower Q setting -->

Density = noon
Presence = 1 o'clock

Bear in mind that these settings take away some of 'that' rectified tone. I like what other people do with the rectified tone, it's just not my cup of tea. I think the mid-scoop is too severe. Hoever, I really do like the low end of the rectified tone. So I set out to get the rectified low end, but with either a SuperLead (I'm thinking SL2 ChB) or Randall modern mid's and highs. And by modern I mean modern era NOT the Modern/MHG module, of which I have played neither one.

This was also set-up using the BBE and GT-6 f/x units, however, the original tone I achieved was w/o them. The settings did not change much once they were added. If I have time when I get home from work, I will unplug the f/x and get back to the original dry tone. I'll write down what I end up with and post them.

Thomas

* Some bands are omitted becasue I can't remember for sure where they are after changing them so many times.

** Seems like every time I play this module I have to change these two to get the sound I'm after. I think my ears may be going bad. :roll:

*** The Q control is labelled .1 to 10, but I don't know if it is a linear or logorithmic scale. So slightly higher would equate to around 1-1:30 clock scale.

Recto set-up without 482i or GT-6:

GE-7 ==>
100Hz = -5dB, 200Hz = -5dB, 400Hz = +6dB, 800Hz = +12dB, 1.6kHz = +10dB, 3.2kHz = +10dB, 6.4kHz = +1dB

Recto ==>
Gain = 2:30, Bass = 2:00, Mid = 4:00, Treb = 4:00, bright = left
Ruby 12AX7A's

EQ-3b ==>
Low : Gain = 1:30, BW = 10:00, Freq = 11:00
Mid : Gain = 9:30, BW = 9:00, Freq = 12:30
High : Gain = 2:30, BW = 11:00, Freq = 10:00
80Hz HP = engaged

Density = 12:00, Presence = 3:00

That's about as good as I could get it to my ears without using the BBE. I much prefer using the BBE however since turning up the 'process' to about 1:00 fills in a lot of the upper mid range and highs. Using the BBE also requires a little re-tweaking of the GE-7, but nothing too serious.

I have done a lot better Recto tones w/o the BBE when I tweaked the EQ-3B specifically to the Recto, but then my Ultra tone goes down the toilet. The Ultra being my preferred high gain results in the funky GE-7 settings.

Once I get the cash together, I want to buy another EQ-3B and an Axess GRX4. That way I can set the EQ's specfic to each module and use the GRX4 to switch the combo channels/EQ's simultaneously.

Or maybe I'll hit the lottery and buy a Switchblade GL instead.

Thomas