Where mts is headed...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricknasty1985

Reaction score
I absolutely love my mts. Not going to lie that I indulge in frequent use of an axe fx2 but I'm wondering where you think the MTS game is going?

Personally I'd love to see modders release some more of a left turn on amps such as the YJM100 and 2203KK by Marshall. I still think mts can be pushed into amazing territory and I must say MTS is the greatest studio tool ever created :)

On the topic of modders, anyone heard from Scott SG... I am anticipating his return!

Figgggg, you out there? I seemed to have picked up a RM4 that once belonged to you from a seller down in TX listing it as FAMOUS on eBay!!! You made it?! Got it for $375

I still think Friedmans BE/C45 and HBE mods are the best mods I have ever played. Followed closely by my Salvation Rhoadie and SG Criminal. Nothing will touch a Bad Cat/Matchless for that sparkle so Salvation again gets my vote with a Matchvox for my Clean/Light gain. Wait I'll start a new topic for this...

1 too many beers this evening, just wanted to get back on here and get involved, sorry for the rambling guys.

MTS. LONG LIVE

Good to see a post trying to ignite a spark of vitality to this forum.

A lot of guys I guess moved away from the mts line with the Axe and subsequently the Kemper digital modellers hitting the market.

I joined the game pretty late, fully familiar with those digital alternatives, I hope there's still a lot of lurkers on this forum that likewise prefer tubes.

On a digital recordings or especially on youtube clips etc it is probably impossible to tell the difference. Hard to beat real tubes in real life though. To me, especially for song writing the complexity of a tube amp (including the mts) can't be replaced by a Kemper. although I fully understand the convenience of such a unit doing a gig.

My favourite module so far is the salvation Camerock and his newer Diezel mods, the Herbie and the Vage4.. Heard only the best about Scott's mods but never had the chance to try one.

Hopefully the big mts boys and modders will chime in,, :)

I have messed with digital models and I could probably post some stuff and you would not be able to tell the difference. however, when I am playing them, I can tell. I use a GSP1101 for effects but use none of the models. If I had an AxeFX, which I have played, I would still use it for effects and use my MTS stuff. I had a recording session last week and had to do some C&W stuff and then a hard core funk gig on Saturday night. it is so cool to be able to have all of the amps I love at one gig via my RM4. I was also in my studio over the weekend playing with my JF Twin mod and my vintage strat and tele. the sound was simply beautiful. I have not had that experience with the AxeFX or the Digitech. I have a mess of mods and I think sooner or later this will die out as nobody is making the amps and most of us will have every mod we need. W/O a new customer base it will have to die. I am just glad that I will still have all of my stuff. I have been playing for a long time and this is the first thing that I have been really passionate about since owning my first fender amp. I would like it to continue but I am not sure w/o a big company backing it where it can go. I am really grateful for all of you guys. Wow! what a sensitive guy I am!

Hey Ricky boy! How's things down under?

Down under deez nutz?.Sorry, it's been to long...

Someone actually used my name to sell an RM4 on Ebay? :lol: That is desperation?.

I think MTS will have some legs to go for some time still?.Modders are still out there working hard and there is still a market for it albeit a sliding one?The digital modelers are also here to stay for good reason?I like a few out there myself?.Right now, I am very happy using an RM100 and Two Notes Torpedo Live for silent recording?Then I can still use my power tubes, etc?I find it to be the best bridge between the ease of use of a Kemper and the tone of MTS?

Also, since you are a Matchvox guy too?You gotta get an RM20 if you don't have one?.Holy crap is that a match made in heaven! I used Yellowjackets in my RM50 to do the EL84 thing but it wasn't the same?.RM20s are cheap now too?.I got a great deal on a combo and LOVE it!

I am excited about some of the upcoming Kasha stuff but that is still a bit down the line?The wheels are turning!

I just got into MTS a few weeks ago. Picked up an RM4 from Jace and a few modules from other sources. Looked at it years ago but didn't go that route. I like it a lot so far.

Tube amps in the 80s then lots of years off then modelers from pods to afx from 2002 to 2009. Back to tubes.

I just switched over to an MTS setup myself and I am totally crazy about it while I think it is safe to bet that the demand is down on the line it truly is revolutionary and like most things I think it will carry on in some shape or form for a long time.

I use an RM100 combo and an RM22 head with a variety of modules, I am just now getting around to the Salvation and Jaded Faith mods.

Part of me would love to pick up a rack setup or an RM50 head/combo as well.

I think it is tough for the MTS line to be successful because of a few reasons
1) lack of exposure on the music scene
2) lack of understanding to the majority of guitarists I have people trying to compare "fill in the blank" digital modelers to my amp and they can't understand that MTS isn't modelling it is in fact an all tube preamp, power amp etc
3) misunderstanding to versatility, unfortunately many perceived the Randall name as only being a brutal metal amp or as being SS junk, couldn't be further from the truth especially with many of the modders making clean-moderate gain modules that can cover any situation

Glad to see you are loving the RM20 combo Fig! I am planning to use my RM22 head for a Voxy setup I am getting a Twox and Voxless from Jaded Faith to put in there I just have to decide on a cabinet for it. I know it will have an Eminence Red Fang speaker.

I too am new to MTS, and have also noticed a slowdown on the forum, and at least Rob @ JF has also noted a large drop in orders. However, I just posted the following in another post, and think its applicable here, and should give us all hope for the MTS line, and it's overall popularity:

"Something that I have noticed is that mods that are hard to unload here on the forum (mostly due to oversupply) regularly sell on eBay for a good clip higher than here, even considering eBay fees. I saw a Salvo Benzin go for $450, a SG Xtacy go for $475, I sold my JF Mark-X for $285 just a few weeks ago, etc. Prices like these on auctions mean there are a lot of motivated buyers. And, you can easily assume that they are not members of this forum, since many of these mods were originally for sale here. So, there is a chance the price bump is due to higher sales prices on eBay... I think a lot of y'all on the forum here think that this IS the MTS universe of owners & users. I think there are a lot more of em out there than we realize. Modded modules sell very easily on eBay, which could not be said about a lot of more 'mainstream' stuff I've sold or tried to sell on eBay or Craigslist..."

" misunderstanding to versatility, unfortunately many perceived the Randall name as only being a brutal metal amp or as being SS junk, couldn't be further from the truth especially with many of the modders making clean-moderate gain modules that can cover any situation"

that was my main reason for not trying the randall stuff for years. By the time I figured it out what MTS was about, the line was just about done. But then the modders came along and when I discovered that I could have a 1949 Gibson GA-50, a Dumble or a Legacy, I was F'ing hooked for life.
I remember Seymour Duncand had tried something like this years ago. And there was another attempt after that. I am so glad that Bruce finally got a version out there that kicked *** and that randall licensed it.
****, there I go with the gratitude stuff again.

nym1985 said:
1) lack of exposure on the music scene
2) lack of understanding to the majority of guitarists I have people trying to compare "fill in the blank" digital modelers to my amp and they can't understand that MTS isn't modelling it is in fact an all tube preamp, power amp etc
3) misunderstanding to versatility, unfortunately many perceived the Randall name as only being a brutal metal amp or as being SS junk, couldn't be further from the truth especially with many of the modders making clean-moderate gain modules that can cover any situation
Agree 100% with #1 & #3 - but those factors have always been true for MTS. I think the recent decline in MTS started with Randall dropping the MTS line, and the lack of any new MTS products or licensing from Egnater (in fact hardly any MTS news at all from Egnater - including news of products like the E2 that were supposed to have been released 2 years ago). That, coupled that with recent advances in digital modelers that are really starting to blur the line between tube and digital, realizing also that modelers can usually make for a much lighter and more compact rig, and are more reliable simply due to the fact that they don't use tubes.

Mattfig said:
Someone actually used my name to sell an RM4 on Ebay? :lol: That is desperation?.

Also, since you are a Matchvox guy too?You gotta get an RM20 if you don't have one?

Haha yeah I was listed as a 'famous RM4 with a YouTube link to your old rig' so naturally I had to jump at it

I own a Bad Cat Tone Cat and a Bad Cad Alley Cat which both were Mark Sampson era built... Also an AC30cc2 so unfortunately I really cant justify an RM20 at all.

:(

Stop pressuring me with GAS figggg.

I'm new to Randall, but have been playing Egnater Modular amps since about 2000 - 2001.

I have the first M4 and all 13 original offerings. The only reason that my entry into Randall MTS was delayed is that my M4 is the prototype and can't use production Egnater and/or Randall Modules. I had Bruce modify several of my modules and even had him create one of his first custom modules to suit mt tastes and still love the preamp.

2 years ago I got a great deal on a RM100H and got introduced to the MTS Forum. I have several friends that are also guitar players in bands around town and we have had a friendly rivalry for YEARS over our amps. We are always in each other's rigs and trying to one up each other with tones. The sheer versatility of the MTS stuff, especially when you start dabbling in custom modules from the great modders out there, makes My RM100 a favorite among the group. The longer this goes on, the more the modders think out of the box and give us more and more innovative designs that really push the envelope.

Now guys are modding the amps themselves! Density board mods, cap upgrades. Mercury Transformers... YES PLEASE! LOL I have heard more than one rumor that Bruce will be releasing something in the near future with MTS technology. When that happens, you can bet that renewed interest will only make more stuff available to the faithful

I love this community and I LOVE my MTS rigs!

Great topic!

Keep the Faith!

H

Hey All,

I have been on a bit of a "MTS forum hiatus" for quite a while due to college and work. I am still a active MTS user though; I use an RM80 loaded with a JF Superclean and XMG+ in the college jazz improv group. I couldn't be happier with the setup; the Superclean sounds incredible and the XMG+ delivers when I get the urge to play metal. I am currently pushing to convert my setup to a custom head/cab system. Hopefully I can get that setup in the next few months.

Anyway, enough background. Where do I think MTS is going? Well one thing that I have thought in the back of my head for quite a while is what happens when the worlds stock of donor modules runs out? How many are left out there currently? Is someone currently producing donors or setting up to go into production? Has Rob or any other modders started producing MTS PCM's and frames? Are there legal restriction that stop individuals from doing that?

Also I thought I heard at one point that Egnater might reincarnate the MTS line though I could be wrong. I think MTS may need some sort of reincarnation to grow and become popular.

Personally I think that we have seen the limits of what can be done to the MTS modules as they stand now. The modders have done a phenomenal job of bringing out the best in this system and pushing the limits of innovation with this hardware. I think if we want to see more features and functionality in the MTS system then it needs a new form factor and the design needs to evolve. I have some ideas on how this might be done but the limiting factor is cost compared to today's systems. There are several innovative things that can be done to improve and add functionality to this kind of system but if it comes at a greater cost than today's amp/pedalboard and rackmount systems then it may end up failing or turn out like the current MTS no matter how awesome the features are. All I know is that all of us recognize tube technology as the superior solution for electric guitar amplification and tone shaping though there are many technological advancements now that could add some powerful functionality to the system. Not necessarily replace tube technology but supplement it and create a new architecture for it to be implemented in. Audio tube technology is still fairly strong today but I think the overall level of innovation has remained somewhat stagnant for quite a while, perhaps too long, while solid state and digital technology has made great advances and strides in the realm of guitar amplification. They still cannot match the quality of tubes imo but right now tube amps cannot match some of the functionality of SS/digital amps. Technology is evolving fast and tubes are getting left in the dust; as much as we all love tubes, I am afraid if something doesn't change soon they will be completely phased out in the next decade or two. Just my prediction from the standpoint of an engineer and musician. Who knows what is going to happen when quantum computing becomes practical. Tube technology needs to stay competitive.

I'm not sure where MTS is headed truthfully. I haven't messed with the higher end moddelers and really can't comment on them, but I have really picky ears and honestly can hear a sonic difference between clips of the axe and kemper that make me realize they're not tube amps. Again, I haven't played them, so I dunno. With certain settings, I think old L6 POD's can sound better recorded than these high end moddelers.

I've played many of the modded modules and there are some that I'll never sell like my red cammerock that I've christened "cammered". However with my picky ears, as they're evolving, can sometimes hear the limits of what MTS can do and I feel disappointed. I want MORE! I still regret selling my MarkUS and would like to get another one someday. So if you're selling one, please PM me ;)

If indeed Bruce is working on something, I'd love to know what. Is it going to be a continuation of what Randall was doing? the E2? m4's? something new? As Matt alluded to with his mention of the Two Notes cab moddler, there has to be a middle ground where MTS and digital tech can meet up. Some of the modded modules are incredible and dead on accurate. I think MTS has legs, but needs a revamp. The current tech will only get us so far for so long.

I completely agree with Rossness, I think we are hitting the limits of what MTS can be and do. Need something new along the same lines that can take it to the next level as I still am left wanting that last 10% of tone. I've had the Axe-Fx, most versions of the POD, and tried a Kemper, but they always left with the same digital taste in my mouth, and yes, I still feel that the POD 2.0 was the most organic and "real" sounding of them all, it actually had some mojo, where the newer stuff just gets further away, digital modelling always seems to never get "in your face". granted, my current rig is simply an RM4 into a Two-Notes Torpedo, and it gets "In you're face" live and on recording.
I wish there was a normal amp that would fit my needs as much as the RM4 but with that next level of tone. but until then, i'll be here until it completely dies.

I think we all want the next best thing, just human nature. The modules keep us interested as they come out and some times even the best ones fall out of favor as the next one is released. Personally, I have only owned a handful of modules as my gear funds seem to always get spent somewhere else. But what I do have keeps me very happy and I get to play through other amps that friends own and I still think my 7 yr. old randall sounds as good or better than what I have played. I really hope egnater comes out with something. He has a good reputation and that alone will help get more interest in a mts line. All I know is my 2 rm's are gonna stay no matter what happens.

There's definitely some magic here..
I hope and pray that it is not doomed to die a slow and agonizing death.. being relegated to "antique" or "vintage" status..
Unfortunately, without a new manufacturing supply of "donor modules" and a reliable supply of gear to run them, it will eventually face that fate.. :-(
Its just a truth..
I hope this finds a "niche" market, not high volume but a "boutique" amp status..

I love MTS and I know you guys do also.
This tech deserves a long life, let's not let it die!
It truly is special, and so much more "real" than all those digital modelers out there.

Let the tone live on! \m/ \m/

I agree with alot of what JKMV12 was saying on this. I too am an engineer but also a business owner and inventor to a degree. I see no significant renewed interest in the MTS stuff as it is. There needs to be new equipment developed, utilizing updated technology, and probably more importantly - marketed in a more effective manner (not under the Randall nameplate, as it's typecasted (for good reason IMO) as cheap SS, metal-only gear). I think an affordable Egnater release would yield the best results, as Egnater's products have yet to be pigeon-holed into a specific niche, and his product's high visibility and concentration in Guitar Center is a huge plus. And, I see the biggest hurdle for Bruce to overcome is going to be pricing. If I recall correctly, a new RM 100 sold for roughly $1500! That priced a whole bunch of people out. And, those who were/are willing to drop that much on an amp have a-lot of really good alternatives (though not nearly as versatile, but they don't know that if not properly marketed). I'm of the opinion that it'd need to be a 3 module (at least), 4-power tube (100W or even 60W like the Egnater Renegade) head, at a price of $999 or less. And, as long as the 'stock' modules could be produced at a reasonable price, then this should be attainable. One way to do that is limit the number of stock modules to say 4 or 5, and leave it to the modders to get creative. Let em come stock with the standard trifecta of Fender, Marshall, and Mesa modules -or- as an alternative (for the non-rockers), Fender, VOX, and maybe some other clean. That's it. The you can save $ by producing higher volumes.

As for tech - it'd be easy enough to provide on-board digital reverb, delay and maybe some chorus/flange. Nothing fancy, but may as well. And, I think the biggest step would be MIDI-assignable settings on all modules and master controls. I had a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade that did just that. For example, you could set your controls on your Fender module at 4(Gain), 10(Bass), 5(Mids), 8(Treble), and 8(Vol) and save this as a MIDI channel (say ch.1 on your footswitch). Then set that same Fender mod at 10(G), 8(B), 7(M), 8(T) and 5(Vol), to ch.2. From that point on, no matter what you do with the knobs, if you select ch.1, youll get the aformentioned settings immediately, switch to ch.2 and bam those settings. This makes each module extremely versatile in and of itself. Now, throw in the MIDI selectable onboard effects, and you're unbeatable. Easy enough to do, as the H&K Switchblade does exactly this, with all 4 of it's channels, and onboard effects. The Zinky Superfly also does the same. Hell, with three good modules, you'd have lo, mid, and high gain options on EVERY module. Unrivaled versatility... Which, of course, is the attraction to the digital stuff, but with real tube tone. Hope this makes sense. If not, check out the Switchblade, you'll get it looking at the demos.

OK, that's my dissertation, lol.

Oh, one more thing: It's not too terribly bad if these go the way of the Plexi, JMP, 60's Fenders, first 500 Rectos, etc. They could be worth a fortune in the future! So, take good care of your amps, and especially your modules!

Corium_AZ said:
I agree with alot of what JKMV12 was saying on this. I too am an engineer but also a business owner and inventor to a degree. I see no significant renewed interest in the MTS stuff as it is. There needs to be new equipment developed, utilizing updated technology, and probably more importantly - marketed in a more effective manner (not under the Randall nameplate, as it's typecasted (for good reason IMO) as cheap SS, metal-only gear). I think an affordable Egnater release would yield the best results, as Egnater's products have yet to be pigeon-holed into a specific niche, and his product's high visibility and concentration in Guitar Center is a huge plus. And, I see the biggest hurdle for Bruce to overcome is going to be pricing. If I recall correctly, a new RM 100 sold for roughly $1500! That priced a whole bunch of people out. And, those who were/are willing to drop that much on an amp have a-lot of really good alternatives (though not nearly as versatile, but they don't know that if not properly marketed). I'm of the opinion that it'd need to be a 3 module (at least), 4-power tube (100W or even 60W like the Egnater Renegade) head, at a price of $999 or less. And, as long as the 'stock' modules could be produced at a reasonable price, then this should be attainable. One way to do that is limit the number of stock modules to say 4 or 5, and leave it to the modders to get creative. Let em come stock with the standard trifecta of Fender, Marshall, and Mesa modules -or- as an alternative (for the non-rockers), Fender, VOX, and maybe some other clean. That's it. The you can save $ by producing higher volumes.

As for tech - it'd be easy enough to provide on-board digital reverb, delay and maybe some chorus/flange. Nothing fancy, but may as well. And, I think the biggest step would be MIDI-assignable settings on all modules and master controls. I had a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade that did just that. For example, you could set your controls on your Fender module at 4(Gain), 10(Bass), 5(Mids), 8(Treble), and 8(Vol) and save this as a MIDI channel (say ch.1 on your footswitch). Then set that same Fender mod at 10(G), 8(B), 7(M), 8(T) and 5(Vol), to ch.2. From that point on, no matter what you do with the knobs, if you select ch.1, youll get the aformentioned settings immediately, switch to ch.2 and bam those settings. This makes each module extremely versatile in and of itself. Now, throw in the MIDI selectable onboard effects, and you're unbeatable. Easy enough to do, as the H&K Switchblade does exactly this, with all 4 of it's channels, and onboard effects. The Zinky Superfly also does the same. Hell, with three good modules, you'd have lo, mid, and high gain options on EVERY module. Unrivaled versatility... Which, of course, is the attraction to the digital stuff, but with real tube tone. Hope this makes sense. If not, check out the Switchblade, you'll get it looking at the demos.

OK, that's my dissertation, lol.

Oh, one more thing: It's not too terribly bad if these go the way of the Plexi, JMP, 60's Fenders, first 500 Rectos, etc. They could be worth a fortune in the future! So, take good care of your amps, and especially your modules!

How about revisiting the Soldano/ Casswell X99 preamp that had motorized knobs, for infinite tonal possibilities.

That would be similar to the MIDI-controlled 'pots', but just even more expensive to produce. The end result is the same though.