New Salvation Spawn Mods!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Just saw these beauties on Salvations FB page on their way to Wadd/Fig @ Motor City Mods! Very exciting stuff!

334rrpg.jpg

Also, on a personal note, I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Salvation Mr Boga in trade with Johnny! Again, very exciting!

This sure is interesting. It looks like it is based on the Splawn Quick Rod, but it has a couple of features that differ from the JF Quick Mod GT, namely JF had a deep switch (for alternative eq) while Spawn has a noise gate and a pre-distortion bass cut tight switch. It will be interesting to hear a side by side comparison. I just love and can't get enough of marshall flavored amps...

How does the Spawn differ from the Camerock and Camerica? Any videos forthcoming? :D

I played a Quickrod live for about three years. When I got out of the band I was in I went on a search for something more versatile and ended up in the MTS stuff. I really loved the pure muscle and clarity of the Splawn and do miss that at times. The JF version was missing something for me and I actually found the Ultra-Lead to be more like the Quickrod in its tight,fast attack.

So yeah this is interesting. I am kinda surprised though. I didn't think those amps were popular enough to warrant a replica mod.

nitrous12 said:
So yeah this is interesting. I am kinda surprised though. I didn't think those amps were popular enough to warrant a replica mod.

I've never played one, but I went and listened to a whole list of clips.

It's kind of a lame amp if you ask me. Sure it has that one sound down pat, but I kinda personally didn't like that sound even when it was current. heh

I was keeping those comments to myself reading these posts, but since you said what you said.

Edit:I guess my point is... I'm kind of surprised anyone likes this tone enough to warrant a mod as well. To each his own I guess.

I like the faceplate though

Just my opinion (That nobody asked for ) ;)

I don't know man. A given tone is not for everyone, but I gotta say there was something about that Splawn Quickrod I had that set it apart from everything I played from Marshall's, Laneys, Mesa, Fender, Peavey, etc.

It's tone qualities you hear and feel in person are pretty awesome and not something that transfers well to most clips you can find. But if that's not the sound you want then it's pretty simple....it's not for you.

My comment was just more to the fact that they are not very main stream and the law of averages of people doing the MTS thing knowing and wanting the Quickrod tone seems kinda low.

Splawn's are very popular and killer amps. I havent heard or played Salvo's version yet but he's all about accuracy to the original tones- Im sure these will be popular. Not surprised at all.

yeah nitrous12, I wasn't trolling for a fight. So don't get offended. If I had to pick one it would be the QuickRod but.. I recognized the tone when I went and listened to the clips. I don't hate it. I'd describe it as bland and generic. Boring. I just couldn't imagine "myself" ever wanting that tone. I gave up wondering why other people do ****. ;) You can't live other people's lives. It's all good. Just throwin' in my 6 cents. If the Mod sounds like that amp, I'll never be buying one.

rblyn said:
Splawn's are very popular and killer amps. I havent heard or played Salvo's version yet but he's all about accuracy to the original tones- Im sure these will be popular. Not surprised at all.

I've never played through a Splawn. What would be a good example of one in use?

Are they "fast", like Marshall's and Bogner's or "slower", like Soldanos?

Thanks in advance!

suphuckers said:
yeah nitrous12, I wasn't trolling for a fight. So don't get offended. If I had to pick one it would be the QuickRod but.. I recognized the tone when I went and listened to the clips. I don't hate it. I'd describe it as bland and generic. Boring. I just couldn't imagine "myself" ever wanting that tone. I gave up wondering why other people do s*&t. ;) You can't live other people's lives. It's all good. Just throwin' in my 6 cents. If the Mod sounds like that amp, I'll never be buying one.

Not for everyone...That's cool...Just like we know MotorCity's recent Maggie isn't current or popular...It's about making everyone happy...

I like that you freely share your opinion suphuckers! It's refreshing...So you won't buy this one, that's fine...We have something for everyone so keep looking...:) I know you've found winners already!

..but hey Mike (...and again I'm NOT trolling for a fight, it just takes people a long time to get used to the way I talk.) but... how is an amp slow? I've heard a speaker can be slow (although a lot of that is a myth), but...?? ...and I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks!

suphuckers said:
..but hey Mike (...and again I'm NOT trolling for a fight, it just takes people a long time to get used to the way I talk.) but... how is an amp slow? I've heard a speaker can be slow (although a lot of that is a myth), but...?? ...and I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks!

Amplifiers with solid state rectifiers, like most, if not all Marshall's from the early 70's going forward, have a fast feel to them. Not spongy but more "glassy". Amps with tube rectifiers tend to have more of a loose and spongy feel.

A lot of the more bluesy guitarists out there like the feel of a Soldano because they're spongy, with the amp "fighting" a little bit. I love the tone of a Soldano but don't like the feel. For modern high gain, I'm more of Bogner/Engl guy because they're tighter and faster.

Back in the 90's, the first Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifers actually had two rectifiers that were switchable: A tube rectifier and a solid state rectifer. The feel of the amp changed considerably, IMO. I don't know if they offer that today or not.

BTW, thanks for that link but I'm really interested in hearing the Splawn in the context of a mix. I'm all good with a module doing "one thing" as long as it does it extremely well.

Ahhh, Yeah, I get what you were asking now. I like something in the middle, but closer to the Soldano. I also love the spongy stuff, like in the really old Fender amps. I like the sound/tone of the Salvation Vamp (In the clips), because it has a Glassy thing going on, but it still has a vintage (sort of) spongy vibe to it. The stuff I look for would be an amp that's getting on the "fast" side, but still hasn't lost it's mojo. I think when amps get too "fast" they sound bland and boring. Like a dead lay ;) Thanks for clearing it up. I've never actually thought of it in these terms, and I think it'll help me.

Here's a nice clip of a Splawn in a mix Mike.

http://youtu.be/JmkjkarGTQ4

(I'm sure you can search for your own clips but..)

Actually doesn't sound too bad. It lacks a bit of organic content. I guess that's what I don't like about these amps the most. They are kind of like beating on a dead corpse, rather than something alive. heh

My kid would prolly dig it.

suphuckers said:
Here's a nice clip of a Splawn in a mix Mike.

http://youtu.be/JmkjkarGTQ4

(I'm sure you can search for your own clips but..)

Actually doesn't sound too bad. It lacks a bit of organic content. I guess that's what I don't like about these amps the most. They are kind of like beating on a dead corpse, rather than something alive. heh

My kid would prolly dig it.

Thanks for the link! I actually think that's really cool. That's certainly a sound that I cannot attain at present and there are instances where a baritone guitar coupled with that sound would be ideal for specific tracks.

That said, I'm curious to hear the Spawn in standard and dropped D tuning, as those are in my wheelhouse.

ANOTHER STAR MOD from Antony ...
Looks super, will be waiting for clips))))

Believe this was the Wagener GT originally commissioned by Michael Wagener. Would love some clips :)