Where do you EQ your mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Just something fresh to move the stuff that's been happening on down the list....

So where do you guys set the EQ on your mods? I typically like to say I set for each module, but, truth be told, for about 75% of my mods I use the same EQ....
I push the bass and treb and leave the mids around noon...It's where I end up setting them after several tweak sessions on many mods....

Some mods have unique functioning EQs (MarkUS, Graphic OR) so there is always variety...But my ear tends to settle in the same spot on many mods....Do you guys share this experience?

Mattfig said:
But my ear tends to settle in the same spot on many mods....Do you guys share this experience?

Glad to know I'm not the only one doing this!! :lol: I tend to have about the same EQ settings as you do, with the exception of the Primate mod... I have the bass almost dimed on that one. For some reason, it's a little lacking in the bass department... but it hasn't really been a problem since the bass knob can still reach the amount of bass I like. :)

My typical sweet spot tends to happen around: Bass at 1030, mids at about 3:00, and treble almost died. Between 3:00 and full. I don't know why but that always helps me get through especially at practice with the band. Presence and density around 1-2:00, and jumpered parallel with the effects switch at noon.

Funny. I find myself doing the same thing, EQing modules similarly, but I find my Bass and Treble around 11-1 and boost my Mids to 1-3. Then again, I have no idea what I'm doing.

drewiv said:
Funny. I find myself doing the same thing, EQing modules similarly, but I find my Bass and Treble around 11-1 and boost my Mids to 1-3. Then again, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Same here....the gain pot usually has a sweet spot too.

JKD said:
drewiv said:

Same here....the gain pot usually has a sweet spot too.

That is typically my set up.

Not just modules, but guitar amps in general. Since most 3 band eq you see in amps are just passive reverse cuts, I usually start off with everything dimmed (5 oclock) and gain at whatever I need (I am in the lower gain wagon). Then, depending on guitar/pickups and room size, I will start cutting off undesirable frequencies. Most of the time I have all 3 eqs up high. A lot of people think noon is neutral... wrong!!!! 5 oclock is closer neutral, at all 3 band eqs at maximum, you have the closest thing to your guitar pure tone.

With the experience I have with the few modules I had I tend to go between noon and 3:00 (mids usually at noon) except for the Twox I had and Texas special, those had some extreme settings, the Texas Special has the mids maxed out, bass 10:00 and treble noon.

I was going to comment the same thing as mfgobbi, from my experience the best tones I always got from having any amp with the knobs between noon and 3:00. Not sure about the neutral point though.

Question here, driving the 3 band EQ at max as mentioned, is that a Marshall thing that comes from earlier models? Never tried that though.

Mine are all over the place and dependent on the mod and guitar I'm using.
I just put floorboards through my music room and am finding I'm having to re-learn the settings all again

Mine are all over the map too. The only common thing is I simply do not like the tone of any of them with the module volume anywhere below 2:30 or 3:00, or much more than that either. All my mods volumes are right around the same. Oh, and I usually have the bass dimed, except for the vybe deluxe which really has to be dialed back to 8 o'clock or less. It's prolly my speakers/cab that drive me towards bass being cranked, it's a super tight cab (but it can handle monster bass), and all the mods but the vybe have to be cranked to get adequate bass. I can blow the walls down with the vybe's bass cranked, lol. And, it has to be set lower just so the other mods don't sound weak by comparison, when switching channels.

Btw - the vybe deluxe makes for an awesome bass pre/amp - sounds better than most high end bass rigs. Try it.

I dime the volume on all my mods. It brings back the fullness that is missing from these amps when you put them up against a real plexi or 2204.

B- 11 or 12 o clock
M- usually 1 or 2 o' clock
T-1 or 2 o'clock

As you can see I am definitely not " all about da bass, bout' da base, no treble". I don't like any hyped highs or overpowering lows. I think neutral settings cut the best in a mix and i like tight fast low end. I don't need fat.

I'm all over the place for eq, but usually not too far south or north, plus my guitars tend to sound quite a bit different.

Master volume is usually between 1 and 3 for fuller tone, and I tame the output post preamp.

Kapo_Polenton said:
I dime the volume on all my mods. It brings back the fullness that is missing from these amps when you put them up against a real plexi or 2204.

B- 11 or 12 o clock
M- usually 1 or 2 o' clock
T-1 or 2 o'clock

As you can see I am definitely not " all about da bass, bout' da base, no treble". I don't like any hyped highs or overpowering lows. I think neutral settings cut the best in a mix and i like tight fast low end. I don't need fat.

Kapo- This is pretty much where I set mine as well....a couple of exceptions (maybe pushing the treble on a stock Judge to "10") but this is pretty close to where I have mine set most of the time.

Yep same here. Most of my are set:

M - 11:00
T - 3-4
B - 1-2

I also tend to set my Marshall based mods the same. I have to make a concerted effort to make one of them sound different from "my Marshall tone". I use that term very loosely, I assure you :lol: