How about a SLO module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davenit

Reaction score
I would love a module based on the SLO-100. Any current mods that come close?

Thanks
Dave

i heard that the new Lynch "Grail" module its similar, but i dont know really because i also heard that the Grail sound like the Ubershall, maybe the guys at Randall can confirm that.

Someone once told me the Ultra Lead was supposed to be like an SLO.

Granted, I've never played an SLO, so I can't confirm that, but I can honestly say that Ultra Lead is a d@#$ fine (and generally underrated) module.

--B

I totally agree the Ultra Lead is very underrated, i use it for all my leads.

I also use the Ultra Lead for my leads. I'd compare it to the Mesa Boogie Mark series, not an SLO. It can be very Santana if you want.

I must be in the minority, I was not impressed at all by the Ultra Lead module. I thought it was the weakest of all the modules I have.
If the new Grail module truly sounds like an Uberschall, that would truly be something. I have a real Bogner Uberschall and it is by far the best hi- gain sound I have heard! I'm also anxious to hear the Mr. Scarry module, Lynch has always had great tone!.

roodyrocker said:
I must be in the minority, I was not impressed at all by the Ultra Lead module. I thought it was the weakest of all the modules I have.
If the new Grail module truly sounds like an Uberschall, that would truly be something. I have a real Bogner Uberschall and it is by far the best hi- gain sound I have heard! I'm also anxious to hear the Mr. Scarry module, Lynch has always had great tone!.

Are you planning on buying a Lynch module? If so, you should let us know if Mr Scary or the Grail are something similar to the Uberschall, I'll get one in a heartbeat if that's the case.

Thanks in advance ; )

My Ultra Lead is stock, no cap mod. Maybe I should try that and see what happens. Thing is, I'm happy with the XTC so I don't even have the Ultra Lead loaded in my RM100.
I'd like to try the Mr. Scary and Grail modules when they become available, depending on price of course. I have not seen or heard of them anywhere yet. If they make a module that sounds anything like an Uberschall they might as well quit making other hi-gain modules cause the Uberschall is where its at! 8) I will definetly post my thoughts on it compared to the real Uberschall if I get those modules.

I think that closest module for SLO type sound is Recto, Rectified, Treadplate and Grail. I say CLOSEST of existing stock line. But there are still a lot of differencies between true SLO curcuit and mentioned modules.
And...the most closest is my clone:) :D

slo_module_2.JPG

For me the Grail has a completely different low end and is definetly more ENGL than Soldano. The Mr Scary is very close... closest I've heard.
I sold my Soldano loved it. It was my main amp for 10 years. No longer need it... the LB got it covered. Bassist from Hedley now has her.

Cool work on the Soldano mod, but the SL60 isn't quite the same as an SLO. I had a Hot Rod XL+ Soldano and A/B'd it with a friend's SLO, and the SLO just had more of everything... gain, clarity, bigness. :)

I'd wager the Hot Rod series probably sounds a bit better than the SL60s also due to the fact that the Hot Rods used Mercury Magnetic transformers and I'm pretty sure the Korean or Japanese (I've heard some were made in Korea, some Japan) made SL 60s don't have iron like that in them.

Still a cool amp and a nice job, looking forward to hearing some clips!

Pete

Yes, I know that SL-60 don?t sounds exactly like SLO100.
But-part of curcuit we can built into the module (OD preamp section without FX loop, Tonestack and part of PS) is very similar if not the same on SL60 and SLO100 .
I built my module with the most quality components,in the way SLO 100 is built.

to OKstrat-thanx, it?s nice to hear compliment from you.

I'd wager the Hot Rod series probably sounds a bit better than the SL60s also due to the fact that the Hot Rods used Mercury Magnetic transformers and I'm pretty sure the Korean or Japanese (I've heard some were made in Korea, some Japan) made SL 60s don't have iron like that in them.

I agree and so does Mike Soldano... I emailed Mike years ago... Bill Sundt actually got back to me... The hot rod 50's from 93 and back were built using the same parts inventory as the SLO.

I had a 93 HR50 for over ten years... it was my main amp... Tommy Mac of Hedley owns it now. I A/B'd it with a friends SLO 100 and it was close but to my ears the SLO did sound better... the HR50 is such a great amp for the $$$.

The deal with a lot of Soldano amps is that many other lines were developed around the SLO 100 preamp model.

Cheers
Craig

I worked with the Mr. Scary module today. Here's the verdict. It's very good. With 6L6s or 5881s it might hit SLO territory, in fact I think you'd at least get Hot Rod Avenger 100 high gain which has the SLO drive circuit.

But I couldn't get SLO territory to save my life with the EL34Ls -- there is too much bite in these tubes. Instead, because of that bite, it nailed the 5150. Why do I know this? I've been playing one for 2 months straight. Drop the bass to about 10:00 and up the mids and treble to 2:00 with the gain at 1:00 and level at 3:00 and it's hitting mid-80s Dokken as advertised. Remember I've got my presence dialed at 0 because of pickups, acoustics, etc., and the fact I like a little darker tone.

The Grail with the EL34Ls is going to be interesting. That's on tap tomorrow.

I have yet to find an unusable sound.

The Mr. Scary module is great........you do get alot of mid bite and power like a Soldano........but.......I'm still hoping they come out with an SLO module and a Fireball..... 8)

shred-o-holic said:
The Mr. Scary module is great........you do get alot of mid bite and power like a Soldano........but.......I'm still hoping they come out with an SLO module and a Fireball..... 8)

I still say the Ultras come closest in stock form to the SLO sound... just my opinion though. :)

Well, I went to GC to play a SLO today just for a sound check. The SLO through the Soldano cabinet sounded nothing like Mr. Scary. However we tried it through a Bogner 212 that had a V-30 and Greenback just like mine. It was very very close. The difference is the speakers. Mike uses Four Eminence Legend speakers. The tonal difference between the Celestions and Eminence is huge. The Eminence Legends have a much more "open" and "clear" sound.

So Mr. Scary's ability to sound like the SLO will depend on speakers it seems.

Latest posts