Mash-All / Spawn owners chime in!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
The clips of this module have always sounded really good.
Are the 4 modes THAT usable, or have you found that some get way more use than others?

I've heard some say the Jose mode was the only really usable mode....

I'm on the fence between this or a Spawn for Marshall tones.

I thought that the Jose was what worked best for me. The others were usable and still pretty good but the Jose tone was easily the stand out.

Yeah, there's definately an added noise on the JVM mode, but could the fizz not be dialed out? Marshall tone should not be fizzy at all.

buriedorburned said:
Would you say the Vishnu and Mash All cover a lot of the same ground?

Yep....I think Vishnu doesn't get as clean but is quieter and more expanding on what made Mashall+ so good to begin with, Great JCM tones...Vishnu can get plenty heavy with no fizz also...I just love it to death...It's just what I want in a Marshall mod...

I think when I list off the bands/sounds I want out of a Marshall module. Ideadly I want to cover (from light to heavy):

Thin Lizzy
Ozzy - Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde
EVH
Ratt / Crue
Coheed & Cambria
Mastodon
Megadeth
Slayer

That might be asking a lot, but given that I only have one open slot on my RM, its what I'm after.

Then that Mashall really is probably your best option.
I have not tried the Spawn myself, but I'd love to.
If it does what it claims, it might be a better choice.

Yeah maybe, the Spawn does have the 3 gears and 2 OD modes.
Figuratively it could cover all that ground.
Is the 3rd Gear / OD 2 as heavy as the JVM mode?

Mashall+ is more comprehensive than Spawn...That being said, I'm not a fan of Spawn like others...I think it rules in OD2, 3rd gear but find the other tones not as good as Mashall+ to me....Having said that, I also do not like Splawn amps a lot so it makes sense I am not a huge fan of the modular form of them...Just my opinion...

Thanks Matt.
Here's where I'm coming from, the Mash-All looks like it can defo cover all those tones I'm looking for. However I've never been a stock Plexi player really and any of the Plexi material I play, you can bet I play with more gain than the original.

When I look at the Mash-All, I'm think that I will always boost the 1959 or even 800 modes, and then the Jose & JVM modes will get way more use.

So that said, wouldn't the Spawn be a better contender, as the 3 Gears are hot rodded versions of at least 2 of the above amps, covering roughly the same ground?

Given that I already boost most Marshalls, the Spawn might alleviate that. Also I love Quick Rods, and am still very close on pulling the trigger on a Super Sport mini head....

buriedorburned said:
Thanks Matt.
Here's where I'm coming from, the Mash-All looks like it can defo cover all those tones I'm looking for. However I've never been a stock Plexi player really and any of the Plexi material I play, you can bet I play with more gain than the original.

When I look at the Mash-All, I'm think that I will always boost the 1959 or even 800 modes, and then the Jose & JVM modes will get way more use.

So that said, wouldn't the Spawn be a better contender, as the 3 Gears are hot rodded versions of at least 2 of the above amps, covering roughly the same ground?

Given that I already boost most Marshalls, the Spawn might alleviate that. Also I love Quick Rods, and am still very close on pulling the trigger on a Super Sport mini head....

I think both would suit your needs just fine....I'm more comfortable recommending Mashall+ personally 'cause I like it better than Spawn...I don't think the first gears of Splawn and consequently Spawn, are a bit lacking and don't really sound hot rodded to me as much as I expected...In either case I use a boost as well...When I play the Spawn module, I still boost it like Mashall+...Spawn isn't really more gainy than Mashall+ either as one might expect...

Sounds like you are looking for classic thru metal, I think the 1 and 2 gears of Spawn don't sound as good as the similar settings on Mashall+ FWIW.

We don't have any Spawns in stock otherwise I'd make you a clip...

Thanks Matt. Big help mate!
I'm on the fence, but I also know I can't loose either way.
I'll speak to Anthony and go from there.

For heavier Marshall tones, I prefer the Camerica to the Spawn most of the time. It's tighter and has less overall gain.

The Spawn's tone stack is far different than a stock Marshall. The mids and highs are different and the bass is enormous, way bigger and fatter than any Marshall or variation I've ever heard.

That said, the Spawn is super cool but definitely has more "hair" than the Camerica. The Spawn also sounds thicker at lower gain settings, mainly due to the huge bottom end.

Another Marshall mod that I haven't heard mentioned here that you might want to consider is the Rhoadie. I bought one when they were first announced, and it quickly became one of my favorite mods. Just a thought!