Another capacitor Q-blue, square plastic caps, audio effect?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
This one's for pete or anyone...wht type of cap are these and what are the audio properties compared with the 'orange drop', xicon or sliver mica type...

..I noticed later revisions of modules switched to these from the xicons...e.g. Recto compared with Rectified etc.

JKD said:
This one's for pete or anyone...wht type of cap are these and what are the audio properties compared with the 'orange drop', xicon or sliver mica type...

..I noticed later revisions of modules switched to these from the xicons...e.g. Recto compared with Rectified etc.

Silver mica are tiny, like ceramics. By tiny I mean amount of capacitance. Silver micas are smoother, ceramics are a little grittier. I'm starting to dig ceramics in our modules just because it makes them a little toothier sounding, but it's subtle.

The caps we are talking here about are poly or film caps, and they tend to range basically from .001uf to .1 or so, then they get too big. Most caps around .1uf and larger are electrolytic, the ones that look like cans and have the wires either coming out one end or both.

(brief aside, I was at a local electronics store and they had a sale on huge capacitors... 10000uf or so and a few hundred volts. They were bigger than a coke can!)

Here's where I'm going to probably anger some capacitor snobs... I built several 18 watt amps from kits and from scratch. I used mallory, Sozo, and orange drops. My favorite were the orange drops, because they had a nicer top end and more clarity. Sozos were darker, and mallorys were in between. Here's a webpage with more info on the sozos... www.sozoamplification.com - some people really like them, again, I didn't see any big deal. They were nice looking though.

Regarding those xicons, I think they are ok, but I like the tone with Orange Drops better. I have never used the 'box' style, but I bet they are probably much cheaper and from the form factor, probably meant to be used in high production/equipment to automatically stuff boards, since they are perfectly squared off. I could see a machine being able to stuff a board with something like that than a chiclet shaped xicon or especially an orange drop because of the kinda weird shape.

Pete

So they're probably pretty much either a poly or mylar film cap in a different package.....

I'm sure were into cork sniffing territory but it definately seems there's a difference, especially when they're used in the tone stack...maybe not so much a difference as change a v1 tube can have nor radically altering a component value...but seems to influence the tone quite a bit . :D

FWIW I hear a difference going from Brown Panasonics to 716P orange drops in C3. Subtle, but there. So far these are my caps of choice in the modules when I have them.

NuSkoolTone said:
FWIW I hear a difference going from Brown Panasonics to 716P orange drops in C3. Subtle, but there. So far these are my caps of choice in the modules when I have them.

For some reason I thought the caps on the boards were Xicons... they look just like em! Oh well, you're hearing the same thing I am. Really, all the brown pansonic/xicon/whatever caps have your audio signal going through them, so they will affect the tone more than anything else imho. They are used in between tube stages as coupling caps and also in the tone stack too. I've found a nice difference when you change out all of them for ODs, just kinda tight in spots.

Pete

Latest posts