A Couple of Questions from a newbie

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j03

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time on the forum and I just bought a RM100S (loved the silver) but had a few questions.

1. Has anyone ever thought of/heard of putting a mid-sweet with any of the modules? I've always loved this in any amp I've ever played.

2. Is there any module out there that can get that intense Nine Inch Nails 5150-ish sound? I've heard mixed things about the brown module.

3. Any suggestions for a module with an excellent chimey clean sound, but enough kick to do some light to mid gain stuff (if anyone has ever heard of Dredg, a band out of Cali, something similar to their Catch Without Arms sound)? I heard that the modded top-boost is good, or maybe a plexi?

4. Your thoughts on the Treadplate module. I bought one and I found the more gain you push through it, the more muddy it gets (and boy does it get loose), but with the gain about half it gets a really nice high-mid gain sound.

Thanks.

j03 said:
Hi, this is my first time on the forum and I just bought a RM100S (loved the silver) but had a few questions.

1. Has anyone ever thought of/heard of putting a mid-sweet with any of the modules? I've always loved this in any amp I've ever played.

2. Is there any module out there that can get that intense Nine Inch Nails 5150-ish sound? I've heard mixed things about the brown module.

3. Any suggestions for a module with an excellent chimey clean sound, but enough kick to do some light to mid gain stuff (if anyone has ever heard of Dredg, a band out of Cali, something similar to their Catch Without Arms sound)? I heard that the modded top-boost is good, or maybe a plexi?

4. Your thoughts on the Treadplate module. I bought one and I found the more gain you push through it, the more muddy it gets (and boy does it get loose), but with the gain about half it gets a really nice high-mid gain sound.

Thanks.

1) mid SWEEP?

2) Brown isn't high gain enough.

3) top boost is excellent for cleans and mid gain.

4) stock treadplate/recto is flabby, but it can be modded to get much tighter. Look for my thread on modded recto clips.

Pete

Issue with a mid sweep is, where's the pot gonna fit? A mid sweep would be very useful but might be harder than you think to implement.

Pete

1. I think about it all the time. :D

2. I would suggest the Ultra XL for you. I would that module up against my 5150's anytime.

3. Top Boost or JTM

4. I set my gain at 11 o' clock and use a TS-9 for a boost. All the gain, none of the flub...OR...just get a Treadplate and send it to Pete. His mods not only sound great, but look killer!

Hope This Helps,
Rich

okstrat said:
Issue with a mid sweep is, where's the pot gonna fit? A mid sweep would be very useful but might be harder than you think to implement.

Pete

How about those sweet little pots/knobs fron the eggie modules?

JKD said:
okstrat said:

Pete

How about those sweet little pots/knobs fron the eggie modules?

Yeah, that would fit physically, then you'd need to mod the board to take the extra parts. I actually know a way to do a workable sweepable mid, just wasn't sure how popular a mod that would be. Jeepers, the more we dig into these things the more mods there are...

Pete

a mid sweep is very effective ..but there are a lot of crappy tones in there to the trick is you only boost/cut VERY little .but with a range and sharp ears and patience you could mock a Boogie, Engl .Marshall Soldanoprovided you figure out there curves ..

R/d rich my suggestion is just hire OKstrat to build one Custom hi gain with sweepable mid for ya ..lol

Perhaps the mid sweep could be similar to the kind you would find on the boss Metal Zone, where the outside barrel is the frequency and the inside is the level.

After some brain storming, why not have a bandwidth adjustment as well on the mids. I have no idea how this would sound, but I can imagine the curve in my head. You could basically set where the boost or cut would be and then dial in how wide or sharp the curve would be. Cool maybe?

And I suppose if you really wanted to get silly, just throw a six band graphic EQ on the modules with level and gain knobs. VHT module anybody?

Your thoughts?

gtr31 said:
R/d rich my suggestion is just hire OKstrat to build one Custom hi gain with sweepable mid for ya ..lol

Pete can build ME anything he wants. The custom work he does is super sweet!!

I do think a semi-parametric mid knob like the MT-2 has would be killer. Like GTR31 said "there are a lot of crappy tones in there." Once you get into the parametric EQ you can do a lot more harm than good. I still get the shivers when I think back to when I worked at a mom & pop music store and someone would come in and ask to try out an MT-2. Nine times out of ten it sounded like an abomination against life on earth and all that tone that is good :cry: A lot of players just shouldn't be trusted w/ that type of tone shaping power. The same goes for active EQ in amps. Looks great on paper but when used by the wrong hands...well it's a lot like Superman 4: The Quest for Peace.

Eh, you guys are too kind. Thanks!

I did a bit of tomfoolery with one of my modules and I can do an approximation of a sweepable mid control... but it's certainly a 'prototype' and not ready for prime time. I still need to get some parts and play some more, but it *is* doable. It won't get you the same precision as a sweepable mid, but works somewhat like it... best explanation I can give is that it will sweep your mids but also scoop them slightly as you move them down at the same time. You can compensate by adding more mids with the usual control. I guess it would more accurately called a 'contour' parameter. It will make any module it's put on much more versatile, but as always there's the danger of too much control. I have some modules here that I need to finish for some folks and finish some of my own that I started, so probably in a few weeks I'll have something more concrete with pics and sound clips.

Pete

RD/Rich said:
gtr31 said:

Pete can build ME anything he wants. The custom work he does is super sweet!!

I do think a semi-parametric mid knob like the MT-2 has would be killer. Like GTR31 said "there are a lot of crappy tones in there." Once you get into the parametric EQ you can do a lot more harm than good. I still get the shivers when I think back to when I worked at a mom & pop music store and someone would come in and ask to try out an MT-2. Nine times out of ten it sounded like an abomination against life on earth and all that tone that is good :cry: A lot of players just shouldn't be trusted w/ that type of tone shaping power. The same goes for active EQ in amps. Looks great on paper but when used by the wrong hands...well it's a lot like Superman 4: The Quest for Peace.

Lol at the Quest for Peace ..

the other option is what Lee Jackson had in so far as you only set 3 or 4 positions that make the biggest sound diff
250 hz, 450 hz 750hz, 1200..just for example

that way someone can not boost 100 hz by 12 db put the bass full and density wide open and Blame Randall
Limit the amount of sweep and level /

gtr31 said:
Lol at the Quest for Peace ..

the other option is what Lee Jackson had in so far as you only set 3 or 4 positions that make the biggest sound diff
250 hz, 450 hz 750hz, 1200..just for example

that way someone can not boost 100 hz by 12 db put the bass full and density wide open and Blame Randall
Limit the amount of sweep and level /

Bwaaaaaahhhaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!! I'm changing my new most wanted module to an Ultra XL w/ the knobs set to 10/0/10 and then have them broken off. Pete can you do this mod for me? :twisted:

Yeah, I'll be the first one to agree that the metal zone can really suck some cough*most*cough of the time, but I think tone shaping is to some degree what the MTS is all about. Now I understand that modeling and tone shaping are two totally different things, but the fact that one can pick any pre-amp sounds he/she wants and stick them in one amp I think is the coolest customization in an amp out there.

Why not expand on that idea with the modules? What sounds good will always be subjective, but as long as the extra control doesn't alter the overall sound of the module (same sound on flat EQ from base to modified module) wouldn't that be a good thing? Even something as much as a mid frequency toggle would be cool.

Anyways, the more I talk about this, the more I want one, haha.

I'm looking forward to more info on that though, okstrat.

j03 said:
? Even something as much as a mid frequency toggle would be cool.

Anyways, the more I talk about this, the more I want one, haha.

I'm looking forward to more info on that though, okstrat.

That's what a lot of the tone stack mods do... they shift the EQ one way or the other. Listen to my modded SLP clips vs stock (you'll have to search for em, they are on this board) and you can hear the difference.

Pete