XTC, Top Boost faceplates

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Comments? ;)

topboost.jpg

bogner.jpg

rectoorange.jpg

all4.jpg

And yes, the knobs are freakin' HUGE on the XTC, they actually touch in some rotations but can go past each other ok. I wish they made 80% sized white pointer knobs like this!

Pete

Hey Pete,
The faceplates look killer! I especially like the Mesa Rectifer faceplate and the XTC faceplates, but all of them are really cool. I'm assuming the tight/loose switch and the Red/Orange switch model the different voicings available on the actual Mesa Dual Rectifier for the Distortion voicings and the Bold/Spongy switch on back of a Dual Rec? If so, that's really cool. How did you go about doing the mod to the Recto module, and how much of a difference can you tell when you switch from Orange to Red and Tight to Loose? Keep up the good work man!

Distortoman

distortoman said:
Hey Pete,
The faceplates look killer! I especially like the Mesa Rectifer faceplate and the XTC faceplates, but all of them are really cool. I'm assuming the tight/loose switch and the Red/Orange switch model the different voicings available on the actual Mesa Dual Rectifier for the Distortion voicings and the Bold/Spongy switch on back of a Dual Rec? If so, that's really cool. How did you go about doing the mod to the Recto module, and how much of a difference can you tell when you switch from Orange to Red and Tight to Loose? Keep up the good work man!

Distortoman

This has sound clips of the orange mode on the dual recto module...

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/MTS/MTSmods.htm

Regarding the bold/spongy switch, probably ain't gonna happen. That actually changes the power section of the dual recto amps, and we're dealing with preamps here. There's a way to sag the preamps, but I think the switching features I offer are pretty good.

Pete

Pete...Awesome work!!!! They make me just want new faceplates.
Are those the same faceplates you're selling or are you gonna change any, like the Recto?

I'm considering a new face for my Plexi. Also, call me crazy, but I really liked the orange mod you did and was thinking about having it done to my Grail.

Have you tried modding a Clean module yet?

Scott

mesa-vht said:
Pete...Awesome work!!!! They make me just want new faceplates.
Are those the same faceplates you're selling or are you gonna change any, like the Recto?

I'm considering a new face for my Plexi. Also, call me crazy, but I really liked the orange mod you did and was thinking about having it done to my Grail.

Have you tried modding a Clean module yet?

Scott

I think I'll leave the others as is for now, we'll see if I get any grief about them. I just know mesa can be litigious (is that a word?) as can EVH. Doing an orange mod to your grail would be a switch mod, the only bad thing is that I really wouldn't want to drill the faceplate, as it has those 'treadplate' parts that are thicker than the others - it would be pretty easy to slip with a drill. I'd advise getting a used recto module and having me do a full set of mods to it - then you could sell your grail. Or I could do a permanent orange mod to your grail, but one nice thing about the switches is the ability to go back and forth. The orange mod really does give it more of a vintage push in the mids.

Oh, and I had a clean module, thought it sucked beyond belief. Too neutral, very clean, but boring... I had a blackface and thought it was much livelier.

Pete

I cant find a difference in the layouts between the Clean and blackface, according to the layouts their identicle.....now I know this not to be true, so what use are the layouts?

What I want to know is if I can mod my clean to the blackface?

hmmm.....

:D

I think the XTC looks great!

The Vox looks a little incomplete IMO. I'd write the emblem in gold, and have the face plate be the Vox Marroon. Right now it doesn't really conjure up the VOX vibe to me. Also needs proper knobs.

NuSkoolTone said:
I think the XTC looks great!

The Vox looks a little incomplete IMO. I'd write the emblem in gold, and have the face plate be the Vox Marroon. Right now it doesn't really conjure up the VOX vibe to me. Also needs proper knobs.

1) proper knobs wouldn't allow for the switches where they currently are - no room. I'd rather be able to contour the bass response on this module or switch it to 'non top boost'. Chickenheads are too dang big... I think I found a new spot to mount the switches, but it's going to be even tighter than it was before.

2) Vox Maroon isn't a color I've been able to find in this faceplate material, and to print out the plates like the VH one I did is a real pain in the rear. The Vox Vibe is kinda hard to mojo up in my opinion because you never see the control panel 99% of the time in a real AC30. I did a plate with the rounded squares encompassing the controls, it just looked weird.

Thanks for the comments though!

Pete

okstrat said:
I'd advise getting a used recto module and having me do a full set of mods to it - then you could sell your grail. Or I could do a permanent orange mod to your grail, but one nice thing about the switches is the ability to go back and forth. The orange mod really does give it more of a vintage push in the mids.

Oh, and I had a clean module, thought it sucked beyond belief. Too neutral, very clean, but boring... I had a blackface and thought it was much livelier.

Pete

I actually have a Recto. Both the Recto and Clean came with my RM4. So, I think I'll take you up on the Recto "full set of mods" suggestion.

As for the Clean, I wanted to keep it to have for my acoustic pedal and it works OK, not great. Listening to it by itself- I think it sucks, too...LOL.

Juggernaut said:
I cant find a difference in the layouts between the Clean and blackface, according to the layouts their identicle.....now I know this not to be true, so what use are the layouts?

What I want to know is if I can mod my clean to the blackface?

hmmm.....

:D

You probably can - however, you're going to have to find someone with a clean and a blackface to read all the resistors and caps and then tell you what differences there are. I'd help you but I don't own either module currently.

I'm guessing you already looked at your clean module and found out if it's the same as the layout?

Pete

mesa-vht said:
okstrat said:
I'd advise getting a used recto module and having me do a full set of mods to it - then you could sell your grail. Or I could do a permanent orange mod to your grail, but one nice thing about the switches is the ability to go back and forth. The orange mod really does give it more of a vintage push in the mids.

Pete

I actually have a Recto. Both the Recto and Clean came with my RM4. So, I think I'll take you up on the Recto "full set of mods" suggestion.

As for the Clean, I wanted to keep it to have for my acoustic pedal and it works OK, not great. Listening to it by itself- I think it sucks, too...LOL.

I think you'll be surprised how much a modded recto can sound like a grail... and with the other options, it's just gravy. :)

Pete

okstrat said:
Comments? ;)
bogner.jpg

And yes, the knobs are freakin' HUGE on the XTC, they actually touch in some rotations but can go past each other ok. I wish they made 80% sized white pointer knobs like this!

Pete

Are they 1.25" knobs?

Just got my XTC module and its ok..it is voiced like a SLO or a Rectifier so I just cant get to like it with different guitars and speakers...back to the SL2 and COD...did like the blackface...

Latest posts