SL2 vs SL++

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
I’ve been curious about the MTS SL++ and SL2 mods. I have a SL++ that has a modified faceplate to resemble a Marshall panel. I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer as to the similarity of these mods or if they indeed are the same and have just changed names. Perhaps one is Egnater and the other Randall? What do you think?

Man this place is like a ghost town. I posted the same question on FB and no answers there either. If there is a forum that is better matched to MTS and/or Synergy please let me know. This is quite frustrating. Google and some other browsers are pretty much useless on my query as well. :(

Most active members from here have gone to either FB or the synergy thread at TGP. Very few people frequent this forum anymore which is a shame because all the MTS info that there is here.
Also, the search feature in this forum doesn't seem to work properly as there is a lot of information that is missing from the search results.

Though I haven't played these modules, I'm pretty sure these are not the same modules, I remember the SL2 being a high gain hot rodded marshall and the SL++ being a limited offer from Egnater himself for a modern version of the SL2, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the response. I’m on the FB page and it’s not too bad. Bruce Egnater and Rob from JF seem to frequent the page. What’s TGP? I have a single channel SL++ and I think it’s great. You never see them come up for sale. Even the SL2 is a bit of a ghost. I wonder if they came in 2 channel versions.

I agree with your assessment of this forum. Tons of info but not enough current input. Maybe the search is a major discouraging factor. I find having to go to advanced search to find info most times.

The SL2 was a standard hot rod Marshall module offered by Egnater. The SL++ (I think this is correct) is more a Slash tone module built by Jeff at Egnater, there are fewer of these but back in the day they were pretty easy to get - you just had to order once directly from Egnater.

ned said:
The SL2 was a standard hot rod Marshall module offered by Egnater. The SL++ (I think this is correct) is more a Slash tone module built by Jeff at Egnater, there are fewer of these but back in the day they were pretty easy to get - you just had to order once directly from Egnater.

^ Pretty much this - Egnater offered a SL, SL2 and SL2x SL = superlead (plexi), SL2 = hotrodded superlead, SL2x = even more hotrodded, the GNR mod if you like :)

Youtube of a Egnater SL2x:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdc22Y7-d2k

Bruce also did a dual module of his EG preamp called an EG3/4 which was very like the SL2 but a bit darker, and a hot rodded version of that called the EG5 :)

Hope that helps!

EDIT: list of modules by Bruce (from here:https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/egnater-modules-still-available.123035/):

Bman Bassman (Like a 4x10 Bassman. Beautiful, warm clean to approx. JCM800 gain)
VX (Vox AC30)
SL (moderate to fairly hot Marshall=clean to AC/DC)
SL2 (takes over where the SL leaves off. Fairly hot to way high gain Marshall)
SL2X (Tighter and brighter version of the SL2)
T/D (Twin/Deluxe. Really clean Twin on 'A' to pushed Deluxe on 'B')
COD (California-Over-Drive. Our take on the singing, strong midrange Mk11C/Dumble-ish thing)
Erect (Dual Rectifier)
EG3/4 (Channels 3 and 4 from the TOL amps and IE4 preamp from long ago. Smooth, singing with tons of gain)
EG5 (A tighter and brighter version of the EG3/4)
MHG (Modern High Gain) Mid scooped, quite high gain, very aggressive.