Which mods are you using for lead?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srommes

Reaction score
I did a search and I'm not finding much. I know alot of you are using the XTC for leads. I just sold one as I wasn't totally into it. What are some other mod suggestions for a nice lead tone?

Not only do I use XTC for leads, I also use it as my main rhythm module as well. Your other options are Mr. Scary and SL+. Those are my next two favorites anyway. Of course, before selling off the XTC you could have sent it to Pete for some modification 8)

I guess I should've mentioned my current set-ups. I have two different set-ups that I use in my RM4. The first is a Blackface for Clean, Mr. Scary(for 80's rhythm), another Mr. Scary for lead and a Grail for a more modern rhythm. My second set-up consists of a Clean(may not keep), an SL+ for rhythm, a Recto(probably selling) and a Ultra XL for modern rhythm. I'd like to sell or trade the Recto for a mod better voiced for lead. As mentioned, I didn't care much for the XTC. Probably could've had it modded but I moved on. Looking for other suggestions for leads. I like a nice fat, smooth lead tone with enough sustain. I'll probably hit the front-end of whatever mod I use for lead with an OD808 as well. Any suggestions would be cool.

mesa-vht said:
Have you tried a 1086?

Scott

No because I assumed it was more of a "Recto" type mod and I have that covered pretty well. Tell me if I'm wrong with my assumption.

I WAS using the Ultra XL for leads but I jut picked up XTC. I think the XTC is better for more classic rock type leads especially w/ a neck p/u. The Ultra XL might be a little better for metal. I have an SL Plus on the way as well that I think will be great for brighter lead sounds w/ a boost.

RD/Rich said:
I WAS using the Ultra XL for leads but I jut picked up XTC. I think the XTC is better for more classic rock type leads especially w/ a neck p/u. The Ultra XL might be a little better for metal. I have an SL Plus on the way as well that I think will be great for brighter lead sounds w/ a boost.

The SL+ sounds good for lead if you are looking for a brighter lead tone like you suggested. Sounds great with a Maxon OD808 slamming the front. I'm looking for something a little smoother. I have a Triaxis in another rig that I love for lead work. Wish Randall made a mod that emulated that tone.

Hey Russ,
Yeah, I thought I read somewhere on here before that the Ultra Lead had the whole Santana Mesa sound working. Let me know how the XTC compares to your Ultra Lead once you receive it. I thought it was decent but am looking for something a little smoother.
Do you think the Ultra lead would sound decent with a boost in front for more sustain?

I am using an RM4 and switch between a few modules for my purposes. In slot 1, I switch between a Clean and a Deluxe for my clean tone. Slot 2 is my change of pace high-gain rhythm module (ie: not my typical one, just a different flavor if I want it), and I switch between an SL+, Recto (0.001 C3) and XTC. Slot 3 is normally my 1086 for rhythm. Slot 4 is lead and always my Brown module for lead. I replaced C3 with a 0.0022 cap, but it was good stock for lead work too. It has an awesome midrange voicing and just sings for lead work. It is easy to coax into sustained feedback and cuts through perfectly. It may not be for you if you dime the gain of modules with way more gain, but with it all the way up it is just enough for me.

If you go to my bands Myspace page at www.myspace.com/jadedfaith and listen to the track "Thanks" you can hear a rough mix with most of those modules in action. The rhythm work is my XTC/1086/Recto (panned 50%Left/Center/50%Right respectively), the cleans are my Clean module and the lead is the Brown.

XTC is my favorite for leads. What I'm going for is the smooth high gain with lots of sweet upper mids, my favorite leads tones are Steve Lukather/Mike Landau/George Lynch for high gain. A real close 2nd is my Brown module, which i think it's kinda underrated, it has some real nice harmonics and response in the mids if you mess with the EQ and get that magic setting (subjective with different ears).
Also try the 1086, it has plenty of body for sustained, creamy solos. Try it with the Gain Boost to the right, Mid Voicing to the left.
Lastly, the Brahma is great if you want to duplicate that Plexi-mod sound, the tone is so SWEET, no grainny distortion here. You do need to run a good distortion pedal with it if you want lots of gain. I've used it with the AC Booster and the MXR Zakk Wylde Distortion, both sounded great with the Brahma.
Hope some of these ideas help in your quest.
T. 8)

Although you'll only be able to use one channel of the Egnater modules, you can have them modded to default to the B channel. If you're into that idea, I'd suggest the EG3/4 B channel. Great for solos!

One thing to consider too is application - if you're lucky enough to get to crank the amp onstage, it will make a huge difference imho.

My favorite for bedroom noodling: modded ultra XL or modded XTC or Recto set to 'orange' channel mod.

Favorite for loud onstage playing: Either modded brown module (it kills!) or modded SL+. I play loud enough onstage that if I use any of the 'bedroom' modules, I have to cut the gain back quite a bit to maintain what is to me good tone. The recto/orange is pretty good for loud solos too.

Lead playing is why I started doing the switch mods for the bass cap - what works really well for rhythms (nice tight percussive attack) doesn't do as well for my leads. I prefer a fatter tone for solos, makes me play more expressively.

Pete

okstrat said:
Favorite for loud onstage playing: Either modded brown module (it kills!) or modded SL+.

Pete

Hey Pete,
I listened to your Brown mod clip before. Unfortunately, it's not long enough to hear how it works in a lead/ solos context. What's the result of you mod to the Brown compared to the stock? (in a solo/lead context, that is).
T.

tung said:
okstrat said:
Favorite for loud onstage playing: Either modded brown module (it kills!) or modded SL+.

Pete

Hey Pete,
I listened to your Brown mod clip before. Unfortunately, it's not long enough to hear how it works in a lead/ solos context. What's the result of you mod to the Brown compared to the stock? (in a solo/lead context, that is).
T.

Was it this clip?

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/DCbrownMod.mp3

okstrat said:
tung said:
okstrat said:

Pete

Hey Pete,
T.

Was it this clip?

No man, but thanks for posting this :D The ones i heard was just couple VH riffs you played without backing tracks. This sounds great though, modded Brown?

tung said:
okstrat said:
tung said:
okstrat said:

Pete

Hey Pete,
T.

Was it this clip?

No man, but thanks for posting this :D The ones i heard was just couple VH riffs you played without backing tracks. This sounds great though, modded Brown?

Yep, modded brown, even a different module. This isn't the one I kept, this one was done for Dave Caldwell a few months back.

Pete

Just to reiterate:
"bedroom tones" can fake you out. You need to evaluate your tones at drummer volumes. Judge at the point..you'd be surpized what works for you and what doesn't.
For example: I thought my SL+ would slay at a high volume in my RM4...but for me it was great at a low volume ..and sucked wind at a high volume.
but thats me.