Documented Modifications

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
There are 2 pages of module modifications currently.

Most mods can be found Here

And mods for clean (non-distortion based) modules can be found Here

I really need to try that clean mod..
My "clean" module is almost impossible to get a non distorted sound..
At least with my EMG eqipped guitars...

Do I understand correctly the C3 mod is the reason for the bass switch on the new Egnater dual modules?
So no need to mod these babies I guess.

burner said:
I really need to try that clean mod..
My "clean" module is almost impossible to get a non distorted sound..
At least with my EMG eqipped guitars...

I had that same issue as I use EMGs in all my guitars.
The clean mod solved everything.

So I received my Randall Brown a few days ago, then I checked to see if the resistor R1 ( 470 ohm) was changed to 150 ohms per the documented mods. Maybe I received an old module sitting on a shelf, but it has the 470 installed. Also, the bright toggle switch stopped working after 1 use. So, I think I'll change the resistor, do the cap mod, and replace the switch.
Anyone have similar problems with these Randall modules ? Is swapping out the resistor worth it, or just leave as is ?

Thanks,

H

The bright switch is not effective if you have the gain maxed out. The less you have your gain cranked the more effect the bright switch will have. Back off your gain and see if the bright switch still works

What I meant is, the switch actually will not move from off to on. I can feel a gritty resistance to move to the right. Maybe the switch was over heated during assembly, or solder made it's way into the switch contacts.
Thanks,

H

Update- Did the cap and resistor mod to the Brown. I tried the 150 ohm resistor (R1) per the documented mods, but it really destroyed the tone. I opted for a 330 ohm resistor, and .0022 (F222 Mylar film capacitor, C3). It sounds incredible now, glad I made the modifications.

H

Is there a listing of specification capacitor and resistor values for the modules? I think it would be nice if we could go through and QC these components on the Randall modules. It would be really useful also to have a photo or line drawing pointing out the placement of the resistors and capacitors on the PCBs with their spec values. Are any of these things available? Thanks.

Need to replace the level potentiometer on my 1086. What value/spec is this unit?

You're talking to a real electronics noob, so please be as detailed as you can.

Many thanks!

Does anyone know how to get a little more gain out of the Plexi module?
How to do a modification to it?
Just want to be able to hit the input a little harder internally.

Thanks

Will Randall's warranty still cover these modules if they are modded? I assume not but it would be sweet if they did.

I'm looking at the PCB layout of the SL+ module, and my own module, but they don't match up =/ The R31 is behind my Level pot, and I have a C5 as opposed to a C15 next to my C14. What's up with this?

Yeah If you look at a Clean module. The layout is VERY different compared to the PDF layouts.

I did a bit more research after making that post, the PDF layouts are almost all the same to show the differences in the values in case you wanted to try and switch stuff out.

Never mind about the JCM800 mod question I had here a minute ago, I found Pete's site and it answered my questions :)