Broken Module. Help!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need a little help.

I received a single channel TWIN module today (Merry XMAS to me!) that doesn't work.

It will pass signal if I crank the amp, all the knobs appears to work, except for one thing.

The tubes do NOT glow, they seem to be getting some juice because they get slightly warm, but nothing like my other modules. I've tried swapping tubes so that's not it.

Assuming it was working before shipped, I figure a solder joint needs to be reflowed somewhere.

Anyone have suggestions on where to start?

I emailed egnater, but being saturday and the holidays I'd rather PLAY my new toy on Christmas rather than stare at it wishing I could!

Thanks.

Update: I put shortplate tubes in there and they DO glow, the long plates I had in before were just hiding the fact. So I don't think it's a tube problem.

However there is still VERY low sound. If I CRANK the amp I can hear the guitar ever so slightly and the tone knobs work. The only knob that doesn't really do anything is the master.

It appears it was a bad pot. The old one didn't even measure! I put in a test pot and the module appears to work.

Thanks to Bruce for his assistance. Now all I need is a replacement so I can put in the proper pot.

NuSkoolTone said:
It appears it was a bad pot. The old one didn't even measure! I put in a test pot and the module appears to work.

Thanks to Bruce for his assistance. Now all I need is a replacement so I can put in the proper pot.

Mouser sells replacement pots - be sure and get one for a PCB, and I *think* they are 16mm. I can find out for sure when I get home today - I'm stuck at work. What value is the pot you need? I *might* have one in my parts bin, if so I can send it to you.

Pete

okstrat said:
NuSkoolTone said:

Mouser sells replacement pots - be sure and get one for a PCB, and I *think* they are 16mm. I can find out for sure when I get home today - I'm stuck at work. What value is the pot you need? I *might* have one in my parts bin, if so I can send it to you.

Pete

Hey thanks Pete. I'm looking for 500k, 1M, and possible 2M audio taper.

I'm thinking of a couple values if my thinking is correct. I notice the Randall blackface calls for 1MA Output in addition to a 1MA gain knob on the PCB layouts at grailtone(Assuming they're accurate). Does this affect the tone or just give more output? If it's just output, I'm thinking to up it to a 1MA, and put a 2MA (If they make it) on my top boost.