Best module for singing lead tones

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoeSzyslak28

Reaction score
I?m looking for a module only for my solos. Something to get that singing, saturated mainstream lead sound (Gilmour, Sambora,...). Nothing too tight. A bit muddy and compressed wouldn?t be wrong for that.
Or is there a mod for one of the modules to get that?

I've owned every non-signature module and I would say there are several modules that will get you into that type of tone depending on the amount of gain you need and what other gear you are running. I would lean toward the Ultra Lead, Brown or XTC but depending on your other gear and your style you may also get there with the Plexi or even the SL+. Although they are supposed to be aimed at more aggressive and modern music, I have gotten some great classic lead tones out of the Ultra XL and Modern modules as well.

Its not only the mods....to play singing stuff you have to work your hands properly. Sure the gear is important, but focus on the details of how you strike a note, hold a note, vibrato a note etc.
Can you tell..I teach guitar?
PS: I find the Ultra module is very good at this. I dont have the XL..just the plain ULTRA..kinda scooped mids...but I like it. truthfully..its not that scooped,imho.

MoeSzyslak28 said:
I only find Ultra and Ultra XL modules. Which one is this?

The Ultra Lead is neither of these. It's a totally separate module that was designed exclusively for lead playing. It reminds me of a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp (think Santana).

I believe Randall has discontinued the Ultra Lead.

Sorry I don't have any clips yet but I can show I own it along with others :D

kh-mods.jpg

MoeSzyslak28 said:
Just bought an NOS Ultra Lead. Have to wait now till it arrives. So let?s see!

If it's one of the really old ones, it will come stock with the .0047u C3 cap. Mine originally had this, but I replaced it with a .001u cap and liked it better after the change. I felt the stock cap gave it a little too much gain and low end. Trust me, even with a .001u in there, there is still plenty of gain and thickness in an Ultra Lead.

I'm pretty sure Randall replaced the .0047u cap with a .0022u in the later production runs.

If you're not familiar with changing the caps in modules, read the "Randall MTS Module High Gain Mod" section in this article:

http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

-Gary

Thanks a lot.
I will first try the 0047u cap as I don?t want an too tight pick attack. I have the Randall mainly for clean and solos. For rhythm I have it A/B?d with my Mesa Dual Rectifier. But I will keep that mod in mind if I?m not fine with the stock sound.

We should be aware of the impact compressors and ODs have on the tone of these guitarists. For instance I use the Tube Driver (same as David Gilmour and Eric Johnson et all) and the Anniversary MOSFET version of the FullDrive 2 (which is CS version of a popular Tube Screamer clone).

joey_truelove said:
For instance I use the Tube Driver (same as David Gilmour and Eric Johnson et all)...

I used to have an original BK Butler/Chandler Tube Driver. Nice unit--I bought it off a buddy in about 1987 for $40. I sold it on eBay 2 years ago to a guy from Brazil for $500. From what I understand the one that Eric Johnson uses was a custom job.

Anyway, I use the Mr. Scary module for most of my soling?it is a great module and unfortunately the most expensive module with a list price of $350?more then any of the other signature modules. I?m glad I got mine for $199 when they first came out at a list price of $250.

I?ve tried a lot of them in the past. A Tube Driver, a Cornish SS-2, Klon,... but nothing that really had the sound I?m looking for.
For a compressor I use an old 80?s Boss CS-2