Allright....getting the Lynch Box and one simple question...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So...Taking my V2 back ( it is a nice amp ) and biting the bullet to get the lynch. Sooo....after hours upon hours of reading all the posts , what 3 mods of this list are the absolutes? All the remarks seem to identify these as must haves. Biggest dilemma being Ultra vs 1086.

Brahma
SL+
Ultra XL
XTC
Blackface (...maybe I can get clean enough with the Brahma?...)

Thanks all! Ordering tomorrow morning....can't wait to get it!

Pedro :shock: :shock:

never played a Brahama, but the Blackface stock is a superior clean tone-MUST HAVE

The rest may depend on your style and taste...though for 3 the 1086 is supposed to be very versatile, so that would be a good choice...I'll have mine in a few days

Out of those I have the Blackface, the SL+, and the Ultra XL. The Blackface gives some awesome cleans. I modded the SL+ to JCM800 specs and now it gets that classic Marshall tone.. it's sweet. The Ultra XL, though, is my favorite so far. (I play Drop C metal) It's really aggressive and tight - perfect tone for heavy metal. It really depends on your tastes, however, as to what you will like the best out of those.

Yeah...I went on you tube and went back and forth hearing the differences between the Ultra and the 1086...they're pretty much identical except for the gain and mid switch on the 1086 that adds versatility. Then I hear the Ultra XL+ (modded?) and it kicks large as well. Only thing is I have to pick 1 of the Lynch mods for this order. And the 1086 and Ultra seem to be the far superior in gain to the Grail or Scary. The modded XTC sounds pretty **** nice as well!

Decisions, decisions...

I have owned all the modules you are talking about and the Grail sounds good (Mesa Based) but I choose the Mr. Scary(soldano based) for the Lynch tone. Does all the Dokken stuff excellent. But either way you CANNOT go WRONG. All the moduels sound excellent and it all depends on the ear of the listener to what sounds good. If you get one and dont really care for it, you can usually sell it on this forum very easily to get your money back so you can buy a new module.......so you can sell it to buy a new module........so you can......ETC. You see where this MTS Madness can keep going? :D
Alot of people here can VOUCH FOR THIS!! Right guys?
Have fun!

BLACKFACE

without a doubt as your clean.

Since you HAVE to get a Lynch Grail is a good choice for rhythm.

Then maybe try and UltraXL for lead?

Thanks everyone! This is awesome and helps me big time. Reason why I was thinking Brahma was because many have stated you can get very close to classic VH tone from it. I figure, take down the gain and it's clean enough for now. But I think you all have me sold on the blackface.

So the Grail for rhythm? Ok...and I guess my analysis on the differences between the 1086 and Ultra are correct. So I think I'll stick with the Ultra...and like you said Mailman, selling, buying...beginning of the addiction! :lol:

So....Balckface, Grail and the UltraXL (...or 1086... geeeezuz....it's killing me...)

Thanks again all....and if anyone else has something to add, please feel free so I can stop stressing out!

how about a plexi? Though, I do like the brahma alot. The brahma is very 80's hair rock where as the plexi is more 70's classic rock. The plexi seems to clean up better in my opinion maybe because it has slightly less gain???? The brahma doesn't have a whole lot of bottom end so when you dial back the volume on your guitar to clean it up it gets kinda thin

I had the blackface and the deluxe and ended up keeping the deluxe. It can get a little grittier than the blackface if you want it to. You also can put 12at7's in there to taim the grit and get it closer to a blackface.

I haven't played too many of the higher gain modules besides the grail and XTC so I can't comment on much else. I do love the XTC though (thick with lots of fat mids). Grail was great if you like the boogie rectifier red channel sound.

Thanks for the input! I found great samples on bandslink.com that helped me decide what I need now, and what I want to get very soon! I tend to like the delux as well for the clean. Although, I heard some nice clips of the SuperV and it sounds pretty impressive! I actually like the Plexi as well and added that to the list.

Just to add to the confusion, I heard a clip of the KH3...oh brother....Ultra vs 1086 vs KH3....what to do.... :? ....maybe just say $crew it and get the EG5. :twisted:

more options:
I found that I could get my KH2 with a boost to mimic the EG5 in many regards, even better. KH2 is definitely a cool module, but 80s vibe. KH3 has a fantastic response on the eq sweep--not only does it offer that modern Metallica crunch, but when mids are boosted, I could get close to the silky Orange lead tones that I have on my Pete Recto

My choice for hi gain stock would be the KH3 due to its pure tone and variances; but if you're open to upgrade, the PeteRecto is by far my favorite... the reports on the Pete1086 are intriguing...

The KH3 and 1086 sound incredible, but I just read a post of a Pete modded 1086 that beats the EG5? Wow.

So I ran all the Randall demo feeds of the 1086, Ultra and the KH3. Again, aside form the mid and gain switch on the 1086, it's the same as an Ultra imo. The KH3 sounds very thick also! Definitely interested. A fan of Zakk as well...which is why the SL+.

Ok...so here's what I decided.

Lynch Box with the SuperV, SL+, Ultra....to start.

Pete modded XTC, Recto and 1086 to come....and quite possibly the Plexi 8)

Pedro said:
d. A fan of Zakk as well...which is why the SL+.
The stock SL+ is just ok, reminds me of the JCM2000...once 800 pete modded, it's pure Zakk! The good thing about the SL+ is that if you dial back the gain, you can get very close to the Plexi sound

...I'm losing my freaking mind over this! :lol:

SuperV, UltraXL, 1086.

Next in line is a SL+ and I send it and the 1086 to Pete for mods. :twisted: ...then I should be OK for a bit. :shock:

Not a bad start package I would think??

PM's?? :!: Pardon my ignorance...as a fairly new guy on here I'll need clarification on that abbreviation! :lol:

Another thing...is it useless to get the 1086 and the Ultra? Or can I get pretty different tones out of the 2? Just want to keep things different with my first 3 modules ya know? ....crap, should just buy the whole **** lot and settle with kraft dinner for the next couple of months!

Thanks!!

Pedro said:
...I'm losing my freaking mind over this! :lol:

SuperV, UltraXL, 1086.

Next in line is a SL+ and I send it and the 1086 to Pete for mods. :twisted: ...then I should be OK for a bit. :shock:

Not a bad start package I would think??
Now didnt I tell ya this is going to be a ONGOING madness?? :D