Help choosing modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I'm getting the rm50 combo and need some help choosing some modules. I play 70's rock, 80's hair metal (Ratt, Poison, Danger Danger, VH, Maiden, Lynch) and a little ska. I basicly want 3 different tones (clean, Crunch, and Lead) from 2 modules. I think the Brahma might be good for the crunch stuff and maybe some cleans, but I don't know what to do for the lead channel. I've played the XTC and liked it, but don't know if it will be smooth enough. I'm looking for a smooth lead channel. I don't downtune or play death metal. I don't like the way rectifiers sound, so no mesa mods. Maybe someone can recomend me a few modules for the lead and maybe clean/crunch sounds.

This is what I've thought about so far-

Top Boost- clean
Mr, Scary, Brown, Brahma- Crunch
1086, XTC- lead

This amp is going to be my practice amp. I have a 5153 and don't want to lug it everywhere. Also, price is an issue for me, so if anyone has a used mod, I might be interested in buying it. Thanks.

WOW you play Danger Danger! :shock:

Brahma with a boost will cover 70-s to 80's...throw a MXR Micro Amp in the FX loop and you have your Lead Channel...or get the MR scary

everything I read about the TopBoost is positive, but I don't know if that would be my first choice for a dedicated clean. BFace is a great choice and may be my favorite stock module

Top boost is NOT clean, it has too much gain from the getgo to be in the clean camp, It is a drive module.

Sl+ is a great module for drive. For cleans, stick to something that will have some cleans, like the blackface or randal clean..

I like the ultra XL for lead, it is singing and smooth to me

Yes I play Danger Danger. I could mention something else kind of obscure like LOUDNESS, but mainly I like a smooth singing 80's metal kind of a sound. I actually like plexi tones more than the jcm800, So I haven't looked at the SL+. I've heard some demo's, but its not really my thing.

I think the brahma wil work w/ a tubescreamer for crunch and and without one for clean. I think the XTC is similar in sound to my 5153 and I love that amp! Is the Mr scary versitile enough as a clean/crunch/ lead? Would the amp work well enough as a brahma/ scary combe, or do I need the XTC for a really singing lead channel.

Also, a friend recomended the Modern Module. Any thoughts?

I heard someone do a demo of a Dokken song with Mr Scary, going 'dirty clean'/crunch/lead like Lynch does, with the volume knob..I think the guitar also had a Screamin' Demon..which is quite a low output pickup tho'

Wish I could locate that video..am pretty sure it was someone on here.

This isn't it, but it sure helps...you can thank jimosity if he;s around:

http://www.americanhc.us/randall/

I ended up getting an rm20 combo. It came loaded with a plexi module. I had a 1959 superlead reissue and it sounds close, but the module is a little too bassy, especially dimed. Is there anyone who can mod it for me? Or maybe trade for a brahma-

I bought the mr scary and will get it in a week.

I don't think I want the 1086 anymore. Maybe i'll get the XL or wait for the fireball module.

How does the VX compare to the top Boost? Anyone have experience with the eg 3/4? Is it any good?

LOUDNESS was my first concert, opening on the Theater of Pain Motley Crue tour 8)

There seems to be 2 modification pros people go to: Dave Friedman has modded many people's plexis; I have sent all my work to Pete (okstrat) .That low end bass response is a a simple bass cap adjustment- I would get a 3way bass switch installed to give flexibility from tight to loose

do a google search for rigtalk egnater and there's plenty of chatter over there about the EG3/4- appears to be a superior mod

the 1086 does a nice plexi tone but you probably wouldn't have much else use for it, although its not a super gainy module , i'd say the xtc has more. or a recto for that matter, so i wouldn't disregard it just yet , you could probably play some EXCITER on it- feel the knife :roll: i had a single channel eg-3, i think you would really like it , smooth smokey marshall flavor and not too gainy, maybe a hair less than an xtc, big on bass but like ray said thats n easy fix and i think just about everybody who owns mts does this mod at least once :wink: