Cleanest Brit Module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinozoku

Reaction score
Basically, I wanna put EL34s and 6550s in my RM100, and I've heard that British tubes don't mix well with Fender clean modules, SO.... What would this forum argue is the cleanest British voiced module for my cleans? I'm assuming the JTM or the Super V, but any other suggestions would be welcome :)

Shinozoku said:
Basically, I wanna put EL34s and 6550s in my RM100, and I've heard that British tubes don't mix well with Fender clean modules, SO.... What would this forum argue is the cleanest British voiced module for my cleans? I'm assuming the JTM or the Super V, but any other suggestions would be welcome :)

Fender clean module will sound ok with EL34s, but if you're going for CLASSIC fender tones, the power tubes are part of the sound and EL34s don't sound like 6L6s. Just my opinion, I have ran the blackface modules with EL34s and it sounded fine, just didn't sound exactly like a fender.

Pete

Thanks for the tips, Pete :) I kinda assumed the 6550 was British because it's been used so much in Marshalls before, but I guess it makes sense that the character that tube is renowned for would come from an American tube...

Even so, what would you reccomend for a Brit clean?

I think my Bface sounds fine with EL34s, however I'm not trying to emulate the fender tone exactly.

If you're specifically going for Marshall clean tone I'd go with a JTM for sure.

Well, the Brahma is pretty clean sounding and tone wise I think owns the pretty much anything else that Randall has released that is 'british'. LOVE the Brahma.

Agree - Super V is definitely a VOX IN A BOX! Great quote jimosity!

Hard to beat the Lynch models. Will we ever see more?

kbause said:
I think my Bface sounds fine with EL34s, however I'm not trying to emulate the fender tone exactly.

If you're specifically going for Marshall clean tone I'd go with a JTM for sure.

That's exactly the way I feel about it....I'm running the Blackface with E34L's right now and it sounds really good but not exactly like an old Fender. Sounds way better than the clean channels of most other amps out there though so it works for me.

Thanks everybody! I'll probably get the Super V or JTM then. My other guitarist is getting a Super V for his clean, so I may try that when he gets it then try the JTM :p

You know, you could use KT88's instead of 6550 valves. They are interchangeable.

ndrly said:
You know, you could use KT88's instead of 6550 valves. They are interchangeable.
And they are more expensive, and there are fewer good ones at low prices, AND I wanna try the tube they're based off of (the 6550) first :p