Ultra XL vs Ultra

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago i was able to play through an Ultra XL. Thought it was pretty cool. I know a guy who knows a guy who can sell me an "Ultra" (not XL) for $100. Great deal. Ive never heard an Ultra before. What are the differences?

Also, I was looking at the PCB layouts(not schematics) for the 2 and they look simular to me. Am I correct in assuming I could make an UltraXL out of an Ultra by changing out a few components? Or are the circuitry different in the two?

I know Pete has a mod that allows you to switch between Ultra and XL with either as a platform, so it must have similar bones. The Ultra is said to have more old school scoop while the XL is more modern crunch and lead friendly

At $100, it's worth a spin around the block, go for it! If you don't like it, you can easily flip it- to me!

you can put a switch in yourself and save some money to, thats what i did with great results.

Personally I like the ULTRA better, the XL is way to dimed out for me. But it has its uses!

If I want to get the UltraXL sound out of my Ultra...I just use my SD-1 pedal with the tone turned to the treble side and a bit of Gain...Level to taste.

JKD said:
If I want to get the UltraXL sound out of my Ultra...I just use my SD-1 pedal with the tone turned to the treble side and a bit of Gain...Level to taste.

They're that close in tone? So, maybe a TS9 set up the same way would give similar results?

I never had an Ultra, but I had an U/XL.

SacredGroove said:
JKD said:

They're that close in tone? So, maybe a TS9 set up the same way would give similar results?

I never had an Ultra, but I had an U/XL.

I believe so..I think the component change is minor...the mid push and the 'high end' the pedal will give it...pushes it into that 'dimeish' tone

So, seems like the XL will have more mids and gain than the Ultra?

If I change these components in the Ultra, it will be more XLish?

Treble pot from 500k to 250k
C14 from 100pf to 250pf
R31 from 33k to 47k
C3 from .0047 to .0015

Honestly, I do not like Dime's tone.. at all. It sounds too much like solid state to me. I do, however, love my Ultra XL. It is thick and aggressive - actually, my friend's 6505+ is sitting right behind me and we tested my RM50 against it with the same cab. What we found was that my tone could be very similar to his, yet mine had more thickness and umph to it. We tested it with a drop C Les Paul w/ 11-53's.

droptrd said:
So, seems like the XL will have more mids and gain than the Ultra?

If I change these components in the Ultra, it will be more XLish?

Treble pot from 500k to 250k
C14 from 100pf to 250pf
R31 from 33k to 47k
C3 from .0047 to .0015

I didnt even change the treble in mine and I A/Bd it next to both ULTRA Xl and ULTRA and it spot on. I have 2 switches installed to go back and forth between the two. one bass cap switch and one Ultra to Xl switch.

OK, so I Finally got myself an Ultra (my previous deal went bad). I picked it up off of the forum here. Its bone stock. I had no idea this thing would be so massive sounding. Really. The sound towers over the rest of my modules - a few of which are modded. Very cool. I have the specs to turn it into the Ultra XL - which was my original plan, But I think Im gonna leave it stock for a while. This thing Rocks :D :D :D :D

Rellik said:
Honestly, I do not like Dime's tone.. at all. It sounds too much like solid state to me. I do, however, love my Ultra XL. It is thick and aggressive - actually, my friend's 6505+ is sitting right behind me and we tested my RM50 against it with the same cab. What we found was that my tone could be very similar to his, yet mine had more thickness and umph to it. We tested it with a drop C Les Paul w/ 11-53's.
+1. I hate Dime's tone as well, but really like my UXL. I still own a 6505+ and find they sound very similar, except the UXL has a clearer voice, and slightly less abrasive, but still massive distorted sound, whereas I find the 6505+ can sound a bit muddy. When I first got my LB I thought I'd keep the 6505+...but that seems unlikely now.

you are exactly right in that comparison. the difference is, the ultra is girthier and is scooped in the mids, the xl is brighter, not as meaty, and makes more noise. the xl cuts better . for me i'd rather mod my ultra to cut better. but its fine stock for shizzle. mids around noon its oceano :twisted:

Latest posts