Which modules would cover the bases

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rimskidog

Reaction score
Okay am planning on buying an MTS system. Probably and RM4 and RT2/50 after working with Michael Wagener last year and loving his rig. Here's the million dollar question. What modules would you start out with to cover the bases if you were in my position?

What sort of music are you playing? I have the Blackface, SL+, and Ultra XL.. I really like those, but modules are personal preference.

Blackface - Cleans

SL+ w/ JCM800 - Gainy Marshall Tones

Ultra XL - Leads, high gain rhythm.. I prefer mids, so I really like this mod. I run JJ E34L's in my RM50 combo w/ a Les Paul and it is quite beastly.

Grail - If you're looking for a Rectifier sound, this should cover it.

Mid gain? Plexi - Super V - Topboost?

Boy that is a really open ended question- need a bit more detail for useful recommendations. On top of style of music, will you be playing rhythm, lead, or both? Are you doing cover songs or originals?

The avatar should give you a clue guys. I'm a recording studio. I want to have a decent rig with which I can cover the bases if the band that walks in off the street (whatever they might play) bring a pile of crap in with them. I used the MTS system last year but don't know the gear well enough to know what will cover the basics. I guess I'm looking for the most flexibility I can get from say, half a dozen modules. At the least I'd like to cover:

Marshall plexi
Vox
a decent clean
a US hi-gain type model

So what are the most flexible modules and what would cover these bases the best?
Thanks
T

Rellik said:
What sort of music are you playing? I have the Blackface, SL+, and Ultra XL.. I really like those, but modules are personal preference.

Blackface - Cleans

SL+ w/ JCM800 - Gainy Marshall Tones

Ultra XL - Leads, high gain rhythm.. I prefer mids, so I really like this mod. I run JJ E34L's in my RM50 combo w/ a Les Paul and it is quite beastly.

Grail - If you're looking for a Rectifier sound, this should cover it.

Mid gain? Plexi - Super V - Topboost?

I see you've covered most of the bases here for me. I didnt know you could get these things modded too. I guess I need to read more about this and then try and arrange a listening session. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rimskidog said:
The avatar should give you a clue guys. I'm a recording studio. I want to have a decent rig with which I can cover the bases if the band that walks in off the street (whatever they might play) bring a pile of crap in with them. I used the MTS system last year but don't know the gear well enough to know what will cover the basics. I guess I'm looking for the most flexibility I can get from say, half a dozen modules. At the least I'd like to cover:

Marshall plexi
Vox
a decent clean
a US hi-gain type model

So what are the most flexible modules and what would cover these bases the best?
Thanks
T

The MTS are popular with recording studios for that flexibility- I got my RM100 from a small studio that had it for the same purpose you are after.

The suggestions in the post above are good ones- here's the 6 I would suggest for a wide variety of tones & styles:

Blackface (cleanest of cleans), KH-1 is supposed to be similar & slightly better, but I have never heard one.

Tweed (slightly dirty clean to a pretty raunchy bluesy/overdriven tone ala SRV)

Super V for the Vox tone (if you can get a modded Top Boost that is just as good- the stock Top Boost is much gainier than a stock AC30. too much so for my taste)

Brahma - Love this one for mid-gain, I've been using it more lately.

1086- extremely versatile module, mid gain all the way to scorching metal; I don't own a SL+ but you could substitute that also.

Grail or Recto for high gain Mesa sound (I base this off of others' recommendations- my Grail is still en route.) I own an Ultra- it is OK, but I think the Grail is going to be better.

There are quite a few modders that hang out on this forum- browse around & keep an eye on the classifieds. For Europe- check out Salvation mods. Egnater makes 2 channel modules as well as doing custom/mod work.

For me, if we're talking stock modules, I'd go with:

Marshall plexi - Brahma (the plexi stock is too tubby to my ears)
Vox - Super V (top boost is too dirty stock, though most people seem to like it after it's modded)
a decent clean - Blackface (best clean module I've heard - haven't heard the KH-1 yet though)
a US hi-gain type model - XTC maybe, 1086 maybe (these you really need to audition yourself).

I think that should really cover the bases for what you describe your needs are. Of course, YMMV.

9985 said:
Rimskidog said:

Marshall plexi
Vox
a decent clean
a US hi-gain type model

Thanks
T

The MTS are popular with recording studios for that flexibility- I got my RM100 from a small studio that had it for the same purpose you are after.

The suggestions in the post above are good ones- here's the 6 I would suggest for a wide variety of tones & styles:

Blackface (cleanest of cleans), KH-1 is supposed to be similar & slightly better, but I have never heard one.

Tweed (slightly dirty clean to a pretty raunchy bluesy/overdriven tone ala SRV)

Super V for the Vox tone (if you can get a modded Top Boost that is just as good- the stock Top Boost is much gainier than a stock AC30. too much so for my taste)

Brahma - Love this one for mid-gain, I've been using it more lately.

1086- extremely versatile module, mid gain all the way to scorching metal; I don't own a SL+ but you could substitute that also.

Grail or Recto for high gain Mesa sound (I base this off of others' recommendations- my Grail is still en route.) I own an Ultra- it is OK, but I think the Grail is going to be better.

There are quite a few modders that hang out on this forum- browse around & keep an eye on the classifieds. For Europe- check out Salvation mods. Egnater makes 2 channel modules as well as doing custom/mod work.
My exact suggestions, to a T :)

For me it'd be:

BlackFace
Plexi
SL+
Top Boost

If I needed heavy Tones I'd take out the plexi and add the Grail.