Randall and Egnater

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the are completely interchangeable. The only thing is the dual channel modules will only utilize channel A in the Randall amps and preamp.

well, you do get 2 channels on the Eggies for that price, and the quality is very good...keep an eye out for the Egg single channels, they are very cool

crankyrayhanky said:
well, you do get 2 channels on the Eggies for that price, and the quality is very good...keep an eye out for the Egg single channels, they are very cool

True, they seem real cool.

As someone who owns both Egnater and Randall I have to say the Eggies are superb.
I love the Randall stuff but find the Eggie modules extra special

from Doug himself:

Ok everyone, since I've developed the Randall MTS line from the beginning with Bruce I want to fill everyone in on the differences between the Randall and Egnater models. With the amplifiers themselves, pretty everything is identical other than we use a CMEC transformer and Bruce uses a Heyboer. The specs used to build both transformers are identical and you will notice the size and weight are the same as well. We can honestly use the Heyboer or any other transformer we want, but we did not and do not notice any tone or performance difference at low or high volumes between the 2 transformers.

The tonal differences lie in the different capacitor values that we use to voice our modules specifically for the high gain player. These small capacitor value differences is what everyone hears and feels. That is why the Randall sounds tighter and more aggressive and the Egnater sounds a bit thicker but also a bit looser. Honestly everyone, Bruce uses the same Electronics supplier that we use. Where do you think the new Egnater Tourmaster came and comes from. That's right, the same factory that produces and stuffs many of our PCB boards. We all buy from and use the same part suppliers, Mouser, Digikey, etc... to stuff our circuit boards.

I just wanted to clear this up. Everyone seems to think that softer deeper low end means better build quality and better components. It's real simple, we voice our modules to our player and Bruce voices his modules to his player. I assure you that both are being made using the same high component quality.

I hope everyone finds a tone they like whether it's a Egnater or a Randall module, because we have the whole gammit covered.

I own a Randall RM100 (being modded to a dual channel) and a Mod50, Both are awesome amps and I like some of my Eggy mods in the RM100. The COD sounds great in the rm100 and having both I can slightly change the tone and feel by using one or the other. Both are Superior amps, cant go wrong with either or both! :D

Try rig-talk.com sometimes they show up used in the classified. It's the egnater forum.

Eggy modules are on ebay fairly cheep. They dont seem to be selling so keep an eye out for them.

ned said:
Yes the are completely interchangeable. The only thing is the dual channel modules will only utilize channel A in the Randall amps and preamp.

Does this mean that the second channel on the EGN module is useless in the Randall amps?
If so, why would you buy one and pay more?

this is how the response reads to a newbie,

ctgblue said:
ned said:

Does this mean that the second channel on the EGN module is useless in the Randall amps?
If so, why would you buy one and pay more?

this is how the response reads to a newbie,
Yes, thats what it means. Randall amps can be modded for dual channel use. There are Egnater single channel modules. Factory dual channel amps are the Egnater MOD 50, 100 and M4 rack preamp.

I know what it's like to be a noob, so just to expand on what BigBrewtus said regarding MTS:
  • Randall makes single-channel amps (i.e. RM50, RM100 & RM4) and modules.
  • Egnater makes dual-channel amps (i.e. MOD50, MOD100 & M4) and modules.
  • Egnater USED TO make single-channel amps (also named MOD50, MOD100 & M4) and modules.
  • Egnater USED TO - and now DOES AGAIN - modify the Randall RM100 to be a dual-channel amp (so functionally it becomes a MOD100, and is technically designated as the "RM100-E"). I believe this mod is available ONLY on the RM100, and not the RM50 (corrections please?).
  • You can run ANY module (Randall or Egnater, single or dual) in ANY amp (Randall or Egnater, single or dual); however, if you run a dual-channel module in a single channel amp, then only Channel A will be accessible.
  • I believe Bruce Egnater or Jeff Hilligan can modify most dual-channel modules so that Channel B is selected instead of Channel A when used in a single-channel amp.
Hope that helps . . .

EDIT: Remember that since there are single-channel Egnater MOD50's (?), MOD100's & M4's out there, and even single-channel versions of some of the current dual-channel modules (the VX comes to mind), be sure you know what you're getting when buying used - make sure it is in fact dual-channel gear if that's what you're expecting.