Pre-amp Tubes

MTS module area including module modifications

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

BIGKAHUNA
RM100

Pre-amp Tubes

Post by BIGKAHUNA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 am

I am looking to buy a gaggle of pre-amp tubes (spares/replacemets) to ship to my place in the Phils. What would be a good over all choice for a high gain junky? I guess I could get more that one brand but I was looking to keep it simple. Whats would be your tube of choice for thick ass rich gain?

droptrd
RM100

Post by droptrd » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 am

That kinda depends on the amp you want to use them on. I think in general, Chinese (Shuguang) 8th or 9th gen are good. Also, I like the Sovtek LPS (killer in mesa rectos). Also the Tung Sol, but I dont think it has quite the gain as the other 2.
"Gimme some sugar Baby"

ak37
RM100

Post by ak37 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 am

You are right on with the Tung Sol description. The gain is not as high as the other two you had mentioned but I think are more musical overall. I just went the other way in my tweed. I have a source of NOS Phillips 12AT7's for $15 a piece. It really made the tweed sound more tweedy! It had EH's in it prior. I wanted it to be a little cleaner because I have the plexi and the 1086 for crunch. The EH's are a little more grittier to me. The guys at the Tube Depot down in Memphis recommended the Sovtek LPS for high gain too.
RM4
Clean
Plexi (Gigmods Pro Mod)
SL+
Salvation Stonerverb
Randall 4x12

BIGKAHUNA
RM100

Post by BIGKAHUNA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:31 am

droptrd wrote:That kinda depends on the amp you want to use them on. I think in general, Chinese (Shuguang) 8th or 9th gen are good. Also, I like the Sovtek LPS (killer in mesa rectos). Also the Tung Sol, but I dont think it has quite the gain as the other 2.
These will be strictly for modules that I will use in the Lynch Box RM100LB. I am going with JJ re-tube kits from Eurotubes for my other amps.