SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isburgracing

Reaction score
Wow! this is my new favorite module, definately my new rhythm channel!!!!! Any other comments from the rest of the SL+ peeps?

I've got an SL+ in the 3rd slot of my RM4. I use it about 75% of the time. I like it so much I bought a second for gigmods to tweak. It's got a great high gain sound without over saturating.

I am still looking for one with the black faceplate. I foolishly traded the Egnater single channel SL+ I had. I might just buy a new one if I can find one with a black face on it.

SL+ is my fav too. Does anyone have the SL+ with EL34 power tubes? They say a lot of the Marshall sound comes from the EL34 tubes.

Unless you're really cranking your amp up loud enough to have your neighbors call the cops, it probably doesn't matter much. EL34s may START to saturate around 1:00 on the MV when running the channel vols around 11:30. And I'll tell you that is deafening as it is.

6L6s I'd guess around 3:00.

6550s? maybe around 4:00. The headroom on these is massive.

I have a black stripe SL+ that according to the date made had the JCM800 mod done on it. I'd suggest running this thing with the gain around 11:00.

If you've got the caps (Fallout 3 money) pick up a Keeley Java Boost or a Diaz Texas Ranger. I prefer the Java Boost since you have a bit more control over the tone. Just run this thing set to full range in front of this module (gain at 11:00 on the module) and it'll grind like a chainsaw.

I've used it this way on a couple recordings and got some nice compliments from Marshall owners. Whether or not it sounds like the JCM800 is another matter. It does sound good to my ears.

I have noticed that, between the EL34s and the 6L6s. When I used the EL34s, I felt I needed to turn my amp up louder. But with 6L6s I don't have to turn up as much. Now I get it!

The new blackface and chicken knob SL+'s have the 800 mod on them already, and it's kinda a hit or miss for the Blackstripe SL+'s, I have been told some of them have the mod and some of them don't. The very 1st run of the SL+'s don't have the mod. I got insta Zakk and insta Billy Duffy tone on mine! I am very pleased with it. I have the newer blackface chicken knob module...

Mine is an older one without the JCM800 mod. With the gain at noon and a Bad Monkey in front of it with the gain set at minimum and the level dimed my Tele sings like never before.

This is the dirty sound I've always wanted. I just don't get how anyone could want or need more gain, but one man's coffee is another man's tea.

Actually, I've noticed that the EL34's are a lot brighter in my amp, especially since Steve put them in mine. So there's definitely a difference, even at volumes below noon on the MV. The SL+ is insane with them, btw :D

I'm looking towards purchasing one myself. I need that special marshall sounds in my rm100 and although I like my plexi, I need the extra gain that I know the sl+ will provide. :twisted:

eyeball987 said:
I am still looking for one with the black faceplate. I foolishly traded the Egnater single channel SL+ I had. I might just buy a new one if I can find one with a black face on it.

I just purchased an SL+ MTS from a local dealer. It included a chrome faceplate with black stripe. However, the faceplate of the MTS is black.

How do I know which version I got - is this the modded JCM800 (most recent) mod?

You got the same one I've got. If it's latter half of 08 on the s/n it's got the "JCM800" mod. It's not spot on for the JCM800 though, but then that also depends upon your power tubes and speakers (are you running a Marshall 1960 cab w/ G12T-75s?).

I'm running 6550s w/ two Avatar Contemporary 212s, which are supposed to be clones of the Orange cabs, but I'm also running Celestion Greenbacks. So I can't really tell how spot on it is. I'd have to have a JCM800 Lead here in the house to A/B, and that ain't happening.

You'll get the tonal range. But if unless you're running EL34s (not E34Ls) you won't get that middy Marshall "bark" unless you turn the mids up. Here's my go to settings:

Gain: noon
Bass: noon
Mids: 3:00
Treble: noon
Level: 11:00

Density: 10:00
Presence: 8:30
Master: as needed

Try this with a Gibson SG or LP on the neck pickup for solos. It's a sweet tone.

Julia said:
You got the same one I've got. If it's latter half of 08 on the s/n it's got the "JCM800" mod. It's not spot on for the JCM800 though, but then that also depends upon your power tubes and speakers (are you running a Marshall 1960 cab w/ G12T-75s?).

I'm running 6550s w/ two Avatar Contemporary 212s, which are supposed to be clones of the Orange cabs, but I'm also running Celestion Greenbacks. So I can't really tell how spot on it is. I'd have to have a JCM800 Lead here in the house to A/B, and that ain't happening.

You'll get the tonal range. But if unless you're running EL34s (not E34Ls) you won't get that middy Marshall "bark" unless you turn the mids up. Here's my go to settings:

Gain: noon
Bass: noon
Mids: 3:00
Treble: noon
Level: 11:00

Density: 10:00
Presence: 8:30
Master: as needed

Try this with a Gibson SG or LP on the neck pickup for solos. It's a sweet tone.

thanks Julia. the Serial # does start with "0812" - does this mean Dec 2008?

I am running this through the Lynch box with Lynch cab (Super V's). I've A/B'd this against my '81 2203 (Mark Cameron mod) and my JVM410H (5150 3 cab). The SL+ really holds it own. Closer to the JVM than the 2203.

It's a great mod, and has the chickenhead knobs not the round ones.
thanks again!
m.

I was just reading the post on MTS/Egnater exodus. For the record I am REALLY late to the game. I have friends who used to pony up to Doug Reynolds EVERY year at NAMM inquiring about new "modules".

WTF?! I would think.

Well a couple weeks ago, I suffered the realization that I don't want to bring any of my 3 Diezels (Herbert, VH4, Einstein) or 3 vintage Marshalls ('70 1959 SL, '81 JCM800 2203, '78 JMP 2203) or current JVM410H to the bars/clubs we are so "lucky" to gig. So I was at the local shop and there sits a Lynch box and Lynch cab with an SL+, Ultra and Mr. Scary.

Again - whatever, I plug in. AND OMFG! Right outta the box, the SL+ NAILS the 80's modded Marshall tone. You know the one (Lynch- In My Dreams, DeMartini - Lay It Down, EVH - Feel Your Love Tonight, Akira Takasaki - Let It Go/Crazy Nights).

Cabs make a world of difference, and this Lynch Cab with the Eminence Super V12's is a KEEPER. Silver Jub's with V30's, Mustaine with V30's, 1960B with T75's, Diezel Front Loaded with G12K100's, my Dad's '68 with pre-rola GB's, PV 5150's, and the EVH 5150 3's with the 20W GB's just cannot hang with the Lynch cab IMHO.

Cleans are warm, dirty tones sparkle/sizzle without being icepick, and if you seek dark low mids, they are there without being woofy or farty or loose.

I'm a believer! :)

Latest posts