Modded Brahma's

Area specific for Lynch, Hammett, Donagan (1086), etc modules and amps

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

Shinozoku
Lynch Box

Post by Shinozoku » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Personally I'd try the old JCM800 mod (not the one used on modules) if the Brahma is lacking in low end for you. I can't rememebr if it's C16 or C17, but whichever one goes to the bass pot (it and the mid pot cap are both .022uF), swap it out for a .047uF cap. See if that helps some ;)
RM100M w/ Tung Sol 5881's
Blackface(self modded), Ultra Lead, SL+(out of commission), Ultra XL (self modded)
Vader 2x12 Cab
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB

khingpynn
Lynch Box

Post by khingpynn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:11 am

I got two Brahmas and one is in right now getting modded... it may take a while before the finished result is realized however the guy doing it for me is a well respected local boutique amp builder. We have agreed to build a signature module from the Brahma platform... I expect the prototype to be ready soon.

The basic direction is more bass, more gain, smoother top, and overal unique sounding.

Rod
Lynch Box

Re: Difference

Post by Rod » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:40 pm

alboz28 wrote:What is the true difference between the Brahama and the Plexi?

I have the Plexi module and with a boost in front of it and with different chorus and delay effects I can get a wide array of tones
I have a Brahma and a Plexi......The plexi is much fuller sounding, but the Brahma is more articulate but stock it doesn't have enough bass...I had Jaded Faith mod it for me and Rob fixed the low end issue and then added waymore gain with a pull boost on the gain control..[optional]

Lucius
RM50

Post by Lucius » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm

khingpynn wrote:I got two Brahmas and one is in right now getting modded... it may take a while before the finished result is realized however the guy doing it for me is a well respected local boutique amp builder. We have agreed to build a signature module from the Brahma platform... I expect the prototype to be ready soon.

The basic direction is more bass, more gain, smoother top, and overal unique sounding.
Was that James Peters doing the mod for you or someone else in the area? Cheers, Lucius
Good Deals with: bj4rd (bought Ultra XL), khingpynn (traded K2 for Brahma), rlord1974
(sold Brahma)

khingpynn
Lynch Box

Post by khingpynn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:06 pm

sorry just seeing this now... it was Chris Czech of Swampdonkey amps.

StratmanR2S
RM50

Post by StratmanR2S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:30 pm

People here need to get more into doin it them self's. I like to talk tech and about components and am getting tied of hearing oh I just sent it to so n so and now it sounds great. Weak very weak. Unless you did it your self why are you bragging about the work you had somebody else do for you. Other amp forums are more for the do it yourself er, except this one. Its more about who's doing your work for you. I started another post on what I did to my Brahma and it sounds great now but it got hardly a reply, but this one has everyone talking about who is going to work on their Brahma. Its not that hard to work on these, they pop right out in an instant you don't even have to take out the whole chassis. They are bred for those who like to tinker but bough by those who would rather send them out to be tweaked. Its very disappointing.

There is not a lot of usefull info here anymore.
Crank them Tubes

SacredGroove
Lynch Box

Post by SacredGroove » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 pm

StratmanR2S wrote:People here need to get more into doin it them self's. I like to talk tech and about components and am getting tied of hearing oh I just sent it to so n so and now it sounds great. Weak very weak. Unless you did it your self why are you bragging about the work you had somebody else do for you. Other amp forums are more for the do it yourself er, except this one. Its more about who's doing your work for you. I started another post on what I did to my Brahma and it sounds great now but it got hardly a reply, but this one has everyone talking about who is going to work on their Brahma. Its not that hard to work on these, they pop right out in an instant you don't even have to take out the whole chassis. They are bred for those who like to tinker but bough by those who would rather send them out to be tweaked. Its very disappointing.

There is not a lot of usefull info here anymore.
Merry Christmas.
__Scott__
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II XL+

StratmanR2S
RM50

Post by StratmanR2S » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Merry Christmas All!
Crank them Tubes

djdayson
RM100

Post by djdayson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:36 pm

It's always been popular to change a Strat to where one tone pot works the bridge pup, the other the neck and middle. This allows you to tame the Strat's bridge pup for use in front of a distorted amp/pedal, and roll it back to bright when you want bright cleans etc.
Julia wrote:Strats tend to be bright especially on the bridge pickup. They could remove that pickup and it would be fine by me since I never use it anyway ... on a strat. Also I run an EQ in front with a strat where I kill the bright spike.

StratmanR2S
RM50

Post by StratmanR2S » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:06 am

It's always been popular to change a Strat to where one tone pot works the bridge pup, the other the neck and middle. This allows you to tame the Strat's bridge pup for use in front of a distorted amp/pedal, and roll it back to bright when you want bright cleans etc.
This is good advice, This is one of the mods I do to all of my Strats and I roll the tone off to about 7 1/2 - 8. I also replace my bridge P/U's with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage noiselees P/U like their fatter sounding Heavy Blues model . They are a stacked humbucker so you still get a classic tone without the hum.

Eric Johnson uses Virtual Vintage P/U's and wire's his strats in this manner so he can adjust the tone. In fact when I've seen him live and he changed to his neck P/U to Play SRV it was just as bright as his bridge P/U.
Crank them Tubes

khingpynn
Lynch Box

Post by khingpynn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I do mods myself however I'm not an amp designer nor do I know the design as well as someone who works with it everyday. Chris Czech of Swampdonkey is on par with the Egnaters and Friedmans ( IMHO ) of the world and I wanted to see what he would do if I gave him a basic description of where I wanted to take the mod.
I'm very very happy I did as it was a great learning experience and the "Shorthorn" Brahma mod he diod for me is absolutly awsome!
I certainly would and have taken a different approach than Chris.

I'm currently doing some mods myself on a silverface SL+ I got a few weeks back. I have a thread running in MODULES which discusses it in detail.

Lucius
RM50

Post by Lucius » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

I love doing the mods myself. I'm currently starting to offer to do mods for forumites here. Currently the only mod I offer that has any consistency is from working to not working. Not sure how popular my mod will be but it is a start! :lol: Cheers, Lucius
Good Deals with: bj4rd (bought Ultra XL), khingpynn (traded K2 for Brahma), rlord1974
(sold Brahma)