Is Dan Donnegan not with Randall anymore?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoomyk

Reaction score
I didn't really do any extensive research... but I didn't see him on the website. Nor did I see Breaking Benjamin. I know they were in a Randall Catalog I got a while back.

I think his contract ran out
The old Dan 1086 is now repackaged as the Plexi Plus
same module aside from the name

Is it me or has the catalog not been updated for ages? I cannot find the Plexi Plus on the site, the price list from my importer still lists the Brown...

Nigel T. said:
Is it me or has the catalog not been updated for ages? I cannot find the Plexi Plus on the site, the price list from my importer still lists the Brown...
There is a new catalog on the Randall website (pdf) for 2010/2011
That one has been updated, the site is always very slow on that..

The importer's price list is the importer's mistake I think ;)

I'm still waiting on them to change the image on this page:
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/Links-Amplifiers/

look at the pic that represents modules- the flagship 1086, lol
This takes 2 minutes to fix this embarrasssment

crankyrayhanky said:
I'm still waiting on them to change the image on this page:
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/Links-Amplifiers/

look at the pic that represents modules- the flagship 1086, lol
This takes 2 minutes to fix this embarrasssment
How about the top of the page, where there's the old version of the RM4, and silverfaced modules!
Those are at least 2 years old now...

Yes as you say it takes one person 2 minutes to fix this.
edit: removed comment on Randall's marketing department.

Either way, they need someone to pick these kind of details up and fix them.
Sadly this is often something that falls outside of everybody's scope.

I see he still had an RM100 amp in the studio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxWeX7xsog&feature=channel

Yep.... They should have fixed that ages ago. Most people will go by what the website has to show them, just as I did when I got interested in Randall and decided to get an MTS amp.

Suppose I am a novice and think of getting a RM-100 now.... Ooooohhhhh.... as a big Disturbed fan I simply must have a 1086!!

"Eh... Music store? Randall me!!!"

"Plexi Plus? No more 1086? WTF is that?" Check website... Huh???

I am tempted to call Randall's importer and order a Brown module. Just to mess with their heads.

Haha personally I don't believe in the whole "he's playing that so I must get me one' vibe, especially in this price range where people have had some time to explore and mature (kind of :lol: )

But it is a first link or egg if you will, that brings the product into view and peoples minds.

I think it's weird, you have an artist that's actually using your product .. and you lose him?
I wonder who decided to snip the cord, Randall or Donegan.

m0jo said:
Haha personally I don't believe in the whole "he's playing that so I must get me one' vibe, especially in this price range where people have had some time to explore and mature (kind of :lol: )
Me neither. I won't sound like Michael Schenker if I buy a Flying V. I won't sound like Eddie Van Halen when I put a Variac on it... At best I'll sound like myself on Eddie's amp or so...

Unfortunately there are still many kids that think that.

I got the 1086 because I listened to all the high gain modules and liked the 1086 best. The only way to go.

Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:
Me neither. I won't sound like Michael Schenker if I buy a Flying V. I won't sound like Eddie Van Halen when I put a Variac on it... At best I'll sound like myself on Eddie's amp or so...

I got the 1086 because I listened to all the high gain modules and liked the 1086 best. The only way to go.
That's the way to do it! :D
I wish I had that luxury, I kind of have to go by video's/clips/opinions.
Not many shops here that carry Randall ;) So far it's worked out well though :)

I've just been talking with my rythm guitarist about this.
He was going for a HHS strat because he liked the sound and now he's wavering because some of his heroes use other guitars..
Which is complete bull because what you see them use is often not what they used in the studio and you are not that person, you need a guitar that fits you, not him or her.
It's the same thing with modules and other gear..

Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:

He was going for a HHS strat because he really liked the sound and feel and now he's wavering because some of his heroes use other guitars..
Which is complete bull because what you see them use is often not what they used in the studio and you are not that person, you need a guitar that fits you, not him or her.

m0jo said:
Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:

He was going for a HHS strat because he really liked the sound and feel and now he's wavering because some of his heroes use other guitars..

Agree 100% on this. I still remember 20+ years a go (a youngin of 15) I walked into the local music store & just wanted an excuse to play a guitar. I picked up a Vester Strat/Dinky type guitar & plugged into a fender 2x12 combo that had chorus on it (I don't even remember the amp model). After a couple minutes tweeking I thought I sounded awesome. The more I think about it the more I keep thinking I should have bought both at that time. At any rate not what I was accustomed to. Jacksons, Gibsons, Marshall stacks, etc. yet it played & sounded great. You have to play it to get a feel for it & be able to see if it creates the tone & vibe you are looking for.

m0jo said:
Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:

Communication failure again... :lol: I went by what I heard on the web as well. The store I normally do business with doesn't even have Randall. They do business with their distributor, so they can order it for me. I goto that store for the last 30 years or so and they know how I am. I know what I want, and they order it for me. Never have I been disappointed with what I got because of the research I do first on the web. Just too bad mosst of the Youtube sound is so shitty. P.S.: I am in Amsterdam, so I know exactly what you go through as I have to deal with the same importer/distributor.

HHS guitar? Not HSH? I don't think I ever saw a HHS. Currently I have 3 Strats, a SSS, a HSS with coil split, and my luthier is working on number 3 that will feature a HHH in coil split.

And Hamner1... Indeed you should have gotten it when, and if, you could. There are many guitars and amps I had to let slip through my fingers because of money issues. Either they wanted way more than I was willing to pay, or I just didn't have the money. :(

Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:
Nigel T. said:
m0jo said:

Communication failure again... :lol: I went by what I heard on the web as well. The store I normally do business with doesn't even have Randall. They do business with their distributor, so they can order it for me. I goto that store for the last 30 years or so and they know how I am. I know what I want, and they order it for me. Never have I been disappointed with what I got because of the research I do first on the web. Just too bad mosst of the Youtube sound is so shitty. P.S.: I am in Amsterdam, so I know exactly what you go through as I have to deal with the same importer/distributor.

HHS guitar? Not HSH? I don't think I ever saw a HHS. Currently I have 3 Strats, a SSS, a HSS with coil split, and my luthier is working on number 3 that will feature a HHH in coil split.

And Hamner1... Indeed you should have gotten it when, and if, you could. There are many guitars and amps I had to let slip through my fingers because of money issues. Either they wanted way more than I was willing to pay, or I just didn't have the money. :(
Haha we seriously have a communicating problem haha.
Dude seriously? I'm near Leiden / Den Haag!
Awesome to find someone this close that's also into this stuff!

Yeah he's going for a Fender HighwayOne.
Not really in the range of custom guitars but hey, you have to start somewhere! ;)
He has a really nice Yamaha LP-ish guitar now and needs something on the other side of the spectrum, but it needs to be able to rock.

Honestly I'm glad now that I let some amps slip through my fingers.
Because it would probably mean I wouldn't have found MTS heaven. ;)
The whole concept works for me, since I'm very demanding, technical, tweak-crazy...
Being able to put together my own amp is just what I've always dreamed of.

Nigel T. said:

Back then money wasn't an issue, unlike today. Being a kid was cool. Have $$, spend it you don't have any other bills. Back then it was more of I am an idiot 15 year old. You can't play live without at least a 1/2 stack. :lol: If only I would have also gotten into the JAzz & Blues stuff at the time & saw them play live. Alot of those cats were playing shock Fender combos even at outdoor street/block parties.

m0jo said:
Haha we seriously have a communicating problem haha.
Dude seriously? I'm near Leiden / Den Haag!
Awesome to find someone this close that's also into this stuff!

Yeah he's going for a Fender HighwayOne.
Not really in the range of custom guitars but hey, you have to start somewhere! ;)
He has a really nice Yamaha LP-ish guitar now and needs something on the other side of the spectrum, but it needs to be able to rock.
Tried looking up the Highway One... Fender has a seriously annoying site. Yuck! I am way into custom guitars, as that is the thing you hold in your hand to play. If it doesn't feel right it will never sound right. All my electrics (7 in total and one bass) have been customized with most only retaining the original wood. Therefore I have goten way more interested in Squiers and Epiphones. After all... if all that is left of a Fender Stratocaster is the original wood... isn't it cheaper to get a Squier and do the same modifications to it? Guitars that are just not there I have my luthier make for me, like a Strat with LED lights in the fretboard. I even had him working on lowering the action on my acoustics, that much I am into customizing, or better, making it fit me.

I've never been much into amps. In the 80s it was simple. Overdrive equals Marshall. So you bought a Marshall. End of story. Then the Jazz Chorus came out and I loved the crispy clean sound on it, so I had to have it. Only when the newer metal came out and those guys used over the top saturated overdrive, I got interested in how they were doing that. Which eventually led me to Randall. So now I have a Ceriatone Dumble Clone for "normal work" and the Randall when I need that little bit more.

If you love tweaking amps, you must love the kits by Ceriatone. Unless you're not into soldering and stuff. I am a walking catastrophy with a solder gun, so I had mine assembled by a company near Rotterdam.

JD said:
I see he still had an RM100 amp in the studio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxWeX7xsog&feature=channel
Not only was it in his studio in this clip, he was using it on the tracks. I'm sure Randall is his go-to amp. The RM100 is a fuqing great amp. even with stock modules. I know that may not be a popular opinion, but I think the stock modules are pretty **** nice sounding. Set up your gear correctly and they sound just as good as any Fender or Marshall in stock form. The modded modules are just that bit of audiophile push for excellence that takes this amp from production level to boutique level. Slap me if I'm wrong.